Ford Motor Company August 2015 Sales Results

akirby

NEWS FLASH...expect SMOKING deals on Fusions, Fords pushing them HARD....the leases are outrageously low with programs such as $4300 in rebates w 0.25 Money factors on a 36 months SE lease that now has a $1685 discount package...they are also shipping an inordinate amount of Hybrids..........

• Like 1

The police Taurus is clearly not the preferred vehicle. I can't speak for everywhere but I do know that here the city shop does not like the Taurus at all. It's difficult to work on and on the Officer side of the issue they don't like how cramped it is. The city just bought a large number of the Explorer package.

• Like 1

The police Taurus is clearly not the preferred vehicle. I can't speak for everywhere but I do know that here the city shop does not like the Taurus at all. It's difficult to work on and on the Officer side of the issue they don't like how cramped it is. The city just bought a large number of the Explorer package.

The MO State Patrol seems to have a lot of PIUs, but the cars I see them using are all Dodges. Seems the PI Sedan may have fallen off for the reasons you mentioned.

Seems that the Fusion could have used a little attention aka , new features/offerings.

Year to date the Fusion is down over 12,000 units, whereas the Focus is down just over 10,000 units.

Maybe cars are not such a priority with Ford USA anymore.

Well, cars are in fact lower priority with Ford in the USA... Utilities and trucks are a lot more important to the profit margin. But that doesn't mean we will give Ford a free pass... :bliss:

We can reasonably infer that Fusion sales are slowing down this year because the car is 4 years old and the refresh is right around the corner. We saw similar dip in sales of Focus, Fiesta, and Explorer before the refresh. We would be having a similar discussion about Fusion's mid cycle update this time next year if sales doesn't pick up 3 or 4 month after the model hits dealer showroom.

Focus on the other hand had already experienced a sales slow down before the refresh, and just as you would expect the sales to rebound, it continued to fall. My take is that Ford did too little in the refresh and failed to inject any excitement into the model. A missed opportunity to introduce the 1.5 Ecoboost engine and address the consumer rejection of the DCT, which Ford did in China and Europe. Hopefully, the arrival of Focus RS will have some halo effect on the rest of the range.

Focus on the other hand had already experienced a sales slow down before the refresh, and just as you would expect the sales to rebound, it continued to fall. My take is that Ford did too little in the refresh and failed to inject any excitement into the model. A missed opportunity to introduce the 1.5 Ecoboost engine and address the consumer rejection of the DCT, which Ford did in China and Europe. Hopefully, the arrival of Focus RS will have some halo effect on the rest of the range.

I think your right, but I think gas prices more so and maybe the transmission problems are also affecting sales.

I think the Mazda 3 maintains it's handling and reliability is because it's the same platform since 2005. IIRC, the only major changes were the 'SkyActiv' powerplants.

Mazda 3 used a variant of Ford's C1 platform until MY 2014, when the model was redesigned using a completely new platform developed in-house by Mazda with no contribution from Ford. The SKYACTIV powerplants are also unrelated to the previous MZR engines shared with Ford.

In that case my guess would be there were some killer incentives on Forte and Impreza.

Kia's offers for 2015 Forte were appealing but not exactly "killer" last month: $1,500 cash back or 1.9% APR financing for up to 72 months. Subaru didn't offer any cash rebates at all on 2015 Impreza, though it did have a 1.9% APR financing offer for up to 72 months like the Forte.

For comparison, during the same timeframe Ford offered 0% APR for up to 72 months AND $1,000 cash back, or $1,750 cash back alone, on 2015 Focus; GM offered 0% APR for up to 72 months OR $1,000 cash on 2015 Cruze.

Kia's offers for 2015 Forte were appealing but not exactly "killer" last month: $1,500 cash back or 1.9% APR financing for up to 72 months. Subaru didn't offer any cash rebates at all on 2015 Impreza, though it did have a 1.9% APR financing offer for up to 72 months like the Forte.

For comparison, during the same timeframe Ford offered 0% APR for up to 72 months AND $1,000 cash back, or $1,750 cash back alone, on 2015 Focus; GM offered 0% APR for up to 72 months OR $1,000 cash on 2015 Cruze.

Kia and Hyundai offer that 100K warranty and you can bet that draws in a lot of people.

• Like 1

For an extra charge. That's not a selling feature like the one Hyundai includes at no extra charge.

Not for an extra charge actually. It was a bonus offered by the credit union where I financed the car. They wanted to get a loan and offered a 100K warranty on the car as an incentive along with 3.2%.

• Like 1

They did well in spinning it, there were maybe 4-5 shining stars with increased sales, but YTD sales for majority of the Fords vehicles were down and its been like this for awhile with some of them.

Ford would be smart to introduce new nameplates. For the company that stated years ago that many of these segments would be compartmentalized, they are slow to react to it. Ecosport, Bronco, Ranger, Lincplorer can't come soon enough.

Will the Stock market ever give Ford some credit? It always astonishes me how GM stock is so much higher

No. Ford's stock is structured such that if you're not on the Ford family tree, you're strictly along for the ride as an investor. That means large/institutional investors won't take any significant positions because they can't buy any influence with it, and they're not the kinds of investors who buy something where they can't take at least some control over their destiny. That, in turn, means that Ford's stock will (usually) remain undervalued.

By the same token, the Ford family doesn't really give a rip what the stock market thinks, so good leadership in the company can think strategically instead of pursuing short-term gains to boost the stock price. It also means they don't have to worry about fending off "screw you and your company, what's in it for me" investors like Carl Icahn.

Well, cars are in fact lower priority with Ford in the USA... Utilities and trucks are a lot more important to the profit margin. But that doesn't mean we will give Ford a free pass... :bliss:

We can reasonably infer that Fusion sales are slowing down this year because the car is 4 years old and the refresh is right around the corner. We saw similar dip in sales of Focus, Fiesta, and Explorer before the refresh. We would be having a similar discussion about Fusion's mid cycle update this time next year if sales doesn't pick up 3 or 4 month after the model hits dealer showroom.

Agree with your point regarding Ford missing the opportunity to add the 1.5EB and 6F automatic for the refresh model.

I am mentioning the Fusion sales drop concern , as the midsize car segment is the meat of the car market in USA.

Agree with your point regarding Ford missing the opportunity to add the 1.5EB and 6F automatic for the refresh model.

I am mentioning the Fusion sales drop concern , as the midsize car segment is the meat of the car market in USA.

look at last month's numbers, Ford cars are barely 20% of sales.

look at last month's numbers, Ford cars are barely 20% of sales.

Curious to see if Fields will follow one of Mulally's priorities of maintaining a balanced portfolio of "best-in-class" vehicles.

The year to date sales numbers still indicate a good balance across the range of cars/utilities/trucks.

Interesting to read this stat in a year from now or more interestingly after 2018/2019 once the big MAP changes happens.

Edited by MKII

Curious to see if Fields will follow one of Mulally's priorities of maintaining a balanced portfolio of "best-in-class" vehicles.

The year to date sales numbers still indicate a good balance across the range of cars/utilities/trucks.

Interesting to read this stat in a year from now or more interestingly after 2018/2019 once the big MAP changes happens.

One of the best indicators is the higher Average Transaction Prices being paid by customers optioning up their vehicles.

It's clear that ford is trading on this with lower incentive spend but as we head into fall and winter, you can bet the deals

will start heating up..... Deanh has just whispered about Fusion getting strong deals this month, that could be massive. :)

I'm amazad at the level of interest in Utilities, Trucks and vans, it's like Cars are a secondary consideration in buyers' eyes.

Edited by jpd80

I'm amazad at the level of interest in Utilities, Trucks and vans, it's like Cars are a secondary consideration in buyers' eyes.

It could just be that people feel that given the amount of money spent on a new vehicle, they feel like they get more for their money with a Truck/SUV.

I was in New Jersey a few weekends ago (job interviews and visiting family) and nearly every Explorer I saw running around was an Explorer Sport, which goes for north of $45K easy...and if it wasn't a Sport, it was a brand new 2016 Explorer.

My wife has driven utilities exclusively since 1993. 2 Explorers, an Expedition, Aviator, Edge and now an Escape. Probably going back to an Edge.

She loves the higher driving position. Says it makes her "feel" safer even though we know it's not. But a lot of drivers "feel" that way.

We also like the styling and the utility aspect (brought home a recliner from Costco - impulse purchase). We don't like the styling of wagons.

It has nothing to do with wannabe off roading or poseurs or prestige as some people say (for us at least). It just matches our personal preferences.