Expedition Skid Plates

Capt Jim

I agree 100%.

I bought a new 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 (with the standard 20" wheels & tires). Later when I checked the "full size spare" - I learned Ford only provides an 18" spare wheel and tire, although the customer pays more than $9,000 extra for the Limited. The Ford brochure and web site stated a full size spare was standard.

My other vehicles are GM with daytime running lights. I often drive in rural areas so I always manually turn on the headlamps and fog lamps when driving in the daytime.

The dealer can turn on the DRLs if you really want them.

Interesting.

That information was not on the Ford Expediton web site, the Expedition sales brochure, the 2015 Expedition order guide, or in my vehicle owner's manual. The salesman did not mention it when I ordered the vehicle and asked about ordering the DRL feature. He stated it was "fleet only".

What must be done to activate the DRL feature? It would be nice if this was told to customers prior to purchase, so the feature could be activated during the PDI process - before the customer takes delivery of the new vehicle.

Edited by 1999 White C5 Coupe

• 1 month later...

Skid Plates are always a welcome addition.

I had skid plated added to my 2014 (they are available at the dealer). They are more gravel deflectors than skid plates, none of them would support the vehicle weight (of course my reference is old TJ that I can drag acrosss anything).

I had skid plated added to my 2014 (they are available at the dealer). They are more gravel deflectors than skid plates, none of them would support the vehicle weight (of course my reference is old TJ that I can drag acrosss anything).

Could you tell me how many you had added? Does your work order list the part number(s)? If so, could you provide them for me? Thank you. (I own a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4).

Could you tell me how many you had added? Does your work order list the part number(s)? If so, could you provide them for me? Thank you. (I own a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4).

I added three, engine, transfer case and fuel tank (plastic skid plate). I will see if I can find the part numbers, it might take a day or two (they are in my shop some where). If you are planing on doing anything that needs skid plates and have the ablity you might consider making your own, it is on my list even after buying factory. If you want and are not in a hurry I will take some pictures so you can see what I am talking about ( I am assuming I can post pictures, new to the forum)

It was right on top of the take offs, easy to find.

9L3Z-5D032-A SKID PLATE ONE NEEDED

7L1Z-7E063-AC PLATE ONE NEEDED

6L1Z-9054-AA STRAP ASY ONE NEEDED

6L1Z-9054-BA STRAP ASY ONE NEEDED

7L1Z-9A147-C PLATE ONE NEEDED

Bolts that you might be able to reuse (I have a bag full of take off bolts).

W503932-S439 BOLT 8 NEEDED

W503943-S900 BOLT/WASHER 4 NEEDED

W506435-S439 BOLT 4 NEEDED

W520824-S439 NUT SPRING 4 NEEDED

W520834-S439 NUT SPRING 4 NEEDED

W705047-S441 NUT 4 NEEDED

W712349-S439 NUT 6 NEEDED

I also had extra new nuts and bolts so the needed is the number in the bag not what you really needed but most were under $1.00 so I did not worry about a few extra.

I went back and looked at my OP it sounded like the dealer put them on, I installed them. The engine and transfer case are quick and easy about 5 to 10 min. each. The gas tank required removal of original straps and drive shaft, it took about an hour. ( I have all the needed tools and a lift so likely be longer without).

Cost just under $600 and installed on 2014 KR Expedition.

As I said the gas tank skid is ABS plastic.

Edited by jimp
  • Like 1

It was right on top of the take offs, easy to find.

9L3Z-5D032-A SKID PLATE ONE NEEDED

7L1Z-7E063-AC PLATE ONE NEEDED

6L1Z-9054-AA STRAP ASY ONE NEEDED

6L1Z-9054-BA STRAP ASY ONE NEEDED

7L1Z-9A147-C PLATE ONE NEEDED

Bolts that you might be able to reuse (I have a bag full of take off bolts).

W503932-S439 BOLT 8 NEEDED

W503943-S900 BOLT/WASHER 4 NEEDED

W506435-S439 BOLT 4 NEEDED

W520824-S439 NUT SPRING 4 NEEDED

W520834-S439 NUT SPRING 4 NEEDED

W705047-S441 NUT 4 NEEDED

W712349-S439 NUT 6 NEEDED

I also had extra new nuts and bolts so the needed is the number in the bag not what you really needed but most were under $1.00 so I did not worry about a few extra.

I went back and looked at my OP it sounded like the dealer put them on, I installed them. The engine and transfer case are quick and easy about 5 to 10 min. each. The gas tank required removal of original straps and drive shaft, it took about an hour. ( I have all the needed tools and a lift so likely be longer without).

Cost just under $600 and installed on 2014 KR Expedition.

As I said the gas tank skid is ABS plastic.

Thank you very, very much.

Are the first two skid plates listed the ones for the engine and transfer case? Those are the ones that I am interested in.

Were the mounting holes present for the engine and transfer case skid plates? Are the plates held on with bolts and nuts, and not a threaded nut that threads into an existing tapped hole?

I will not be adding the fuel tank skid plates.

Thank you again!

Your welcome,

The first one is "engine" and the second is the transfer case. Last one is the gas tank.

All the holes were present and you could use hardware store nuts and bolts, but the spring nuts make it a lot easier.

Keep in mind that this is for a 2014 not a 2015, I don't know if they are the same.

Your welcome,The first one is "engine" and the second is the transfer case. Last one is the gas tank.All the holes were present and you could use hardware store nuts and bolts, but the spring nuts make it a lot easier.Keep in mind that this is for a 2014 not a 2015, I don't know if they are the same.

Thank you very much. I will look at the underside of mine for the pre-drilled holes. I have a 2015 which had an engine change from the V-8. It has the 3.5 V-6 Ecoboost engine so the skid plates may have changed for the engine and transer case. I will check with the part's department of the Ford dealership where I bought it.