Pledge your allegiance to the Republican nominee or we'll keep you off the primary ballot

Len_A

I guess that it's a good thing the United States is not a "two party" form of government.

Really? When was the last time a non Republican or Democrat was elected President?

The Primary elections all but guarantee that an independent or 3rd party can't win.

Watch the Republicans and Democrats attack each other during Primaries, then do a 180 for the winning candidate as if nothing every happened.

• Like 2

3rd party candidates don't win, anyway.

Another problem is it all but guarantees that the ultimate winner won't win a majority vote. Clinton only got a little over 40% in 1992 (and still didn't get the majority in 1996). He won (obviously) according to the rules of the electoral college, but it also meant that a pretty overwhelming majority of the public didn't support him on Day 1.

That is not to say I favor a popular vote over the electoral college. The electoral college is the only thing protecting us from absolute majority rule.

There is nothing wrong with a 2-party system; except perhaps the blind allegiance that people demonstrate toward the ones we have now.

• Like 1

3rd party candidates don't win, anyway.

Another problem is it all but guarantees that the ultimate winner won't win a majority vote. Clinton only got a little over 40% in 1992 (and still didn't get the majority in 1996). He won (obviously) according to the rules of the electoral college, but it also meant that a pretty overwhelming majority of the public didn't support him on Day 1.

That is not to say I favor a popular vote over the electoral college. The electoral college is the only thing protecting us from absolute majority rule.

There is nothing wrong with a 2-party system; except perhaps the blind allegiance that people demonstrate toward the ones we have now.

3rd party candidates or independents can't win because of the primary system. If you allowed all candidates to run at the same time then it is completely possible for a 3rd party candidate or independent to be in the top 3 or top 5. Then you have a runoff until one candidate gets a majority of the votes (popular or EC). It would force people to choose a candidate, not a party and would eliminate blind party voting.

The problem with a 2 party system is that when both parties suck you're completely screwed.

It's also ridiculous that the candidates within each party attack each other during the primary but then do a 180 and blindly support the chosen one as if nothing happened. And that each party seems more worried about attacking and defeating the other party than running the country.

I want a fiscally conservative but socially liberal with less government, less preaching and a balanced budget. Without the partisan bullshit. That's not coming from any Republican or Democrat anytime soon.

• Like 1

3rd party candidates or independents can't win because of the primary system. If you allowed all candidates to run at the same time then it is completely possible for a 3rd party candidate or independent to be in the top 3 or top 5. Then you have a runoff until one candidate gets a majority of the votes (popular or EC). It would force people to choose a candidate, not a party and would eliminate blind party voting.

The problem with a 2 party system is that when both parties suck you're completely screwed.

The State's themselves determine how their respective electors (in the college) are selected.

What you want is possible....now....right now....if you get the states to change the way they select electors.

It's also ridiculous that the candidates within each party attack each other during the primary but then do a 180 and blindly support the chosen one as if nothing happened. And that each party seems more worried about attacking and defeating the other party than running the country.

That's called politics--and flip-flopping and demagoguery are cornerstones.

I want a fiscally conservative but socially liberal with less government, less preaching and a balanced budget. Without the partisan bullshit. That's not coming from any Republican or Democrat anytime soon.

I'd say it isn't coming at all. Most who favor a social free-for-all aren't fiscally conservative (with other peoples' money). And most fiscal conservatives understand that a self-sufficient society requires personal responsibility and standards of conduct.

You know, that's one thing I like about Trump. When asked if he would 100% back the candidate that comes out of the primary if it isn't him, he couldn't say yes. That's the way it should be. Back the person, not the party he/she comes from!

Amen!

Socially liberal doesn't mean a free-for-all. To me it means not having religious beliefs forced on you (banning gay marriage and Sunday alcohol sales e.g.), decriminalizing drug users, etc. Less regulations but not NO regulations - we still need to protect our water and other natural resources but we don't need to go to extremes to do it (e.g. forcing the release of billions of gallons of water from a reservoir in North GA during a 3 year drought just so some endangered species of mussels could survive in a river in FLA.

• Like 1

Socially liberal doesn't mean a free-for-all. To me it means not having religious beliefs forced on you (banning gay marriage and Sunday alcohol sales e.g.), decriminalizing drug users, etc. Less regulations but not NO regulations - we still need to protect our water and other natural resources but we don't need to go to extremes to do it (e.g. forcing the release of billions of gallons of water from a reservoir in North GA during a 3 year drought just so some endangered species of mussels could survive in a river in FLA.

To me it means speech codes, gender-neutral [everything], and coercing private businesses into providing services regardless of personal objection.

You mean like we coerced businesses in the 60s into providing services to blacks even though some found it personally objectionable?

No. Serving blacks isn't the same.

And I'm not talking about publicly-traded corporations. I'm talking about small, family-run businesses.

Agreed and very well said.

To me it means speech codes, gender-neutral [everything], and coercing private businesses into providing services regardless of personal objection.

I don't want to have this argument again either. Let it suffice to say I disagree completely, and we won't meet in the middle, on this issue, any time, not just soon, but ever. :)

I'm just surprised Trump gave in. If I had bet on this, I would have lost, because I'd have bet he'd have continued to refuse. Shows how well I can read the tea leaves...not. LOL!

I don't think Trump looks at it as giving in. Trump is well aware that third party candidates don't win in Presidential elections. He's a very smart guy. He never had any intention of running third party because he is in this to win. He's not going to waste his time and money on a campaign that has no chance. Essentially what happened today is the rest of the republicans vowed to support Trump, they just don't realize it yet.

• Like 1

I don't think Trump looks at it as giving in. Trump is well aware that third party candidates don't win in Presidential elections. He's a very smart guy. He never had any intention of running third party because he is in this to win. He's not going to waste his time and money on a campaign that has no chance. Essentially what happened today is the rest of the republicans vowed to support Trump, they just don't realize it yet.

You're probably right!

• 3 weeks later...

Trump is running under the republican banner but he will not yield for any party, only what HE desires. Could be good or bad depending on your affiliation and both parties have no idea how to handle him. As a guy that voted for Ross Perot a 3rd party candidate winning is less likely than hitting the Power ball.

I dislike all politicians especially the career ones on both sides of the aisle. Trump or a political outsider could put some spring in their step.

Trump isn't what's wrong with America--he's a symptom of it.

His responses to policy questions are every bit as vacuous as those of Obama. He (like Obama) says what people (seem to) want to hear, with the addition of the celebrity factor.

But canned phrases and simple ("I'll hire the best people") responses may add fluff, but they add no weight.

Trump isn't what's wrong with America--he's a symptom of it.

His responses to policy questions are every bit as vacuous as those of Obama. He (like Obama) says what people (seem to) want to hear, with the addition of the celebrity factor.

But canned phrases and simple ("I'll hire the best people") responses may add fluff, but they add no weight.

Obama is a perfect example of a true military and policy outsider ( no military background and arguably a pacifist as commander in chief ).

If a person is open minded and has common sense they could know little coming into office but they are briefed from life long people working in the intelligence community.

If the seated president is capable of listening they do not have to be an expert but will be brought up to speed with current Intel and information. The key difference is IF the president is willing to listen to advisers and has decision making skill and some common sense.

Obama clearly does not. Trump does not take criticism well and if he is head strong (like Obama) its a recipe for another disaster.

I would much rather have someone that can listen and think than and ideologue that does what they want sans the facts.

Exactly. I feel like Obama, Clinton etc. are trying too hard to be the anti-Bush and not really paying attention to what the country really needs. And I don't think they have any problem lying or omitting relevant facts or stretching the truth to get what they want. Republicans aren't much better, just different.

Has anyone besides Rand Paul said they would balance the budget? It boggles my mind how all these candidates and current politicians simply ignore the elephant in the room.