Taurus Sales

markfnc

Being a recent Taurus owner, I was curious where the Taurus came in sales wise vs other "Full size" competitors. I know a lot on here bemoan the poor sales of the Taurus.

July 2015

1. Impala - 8156

2. Charger - 5821

3. Avalon - 5281

4. Taurus - 4795

5. 300 - 4174

6. Lacrosse - 3451

7. XTS - 1302

It's not so much Taurus vs. the others - it's the demise of the full sized sedan market altogether. Taurus by itself used to sell 400K/year. Right now I doubt all full sized sedan sales together would match that. Not much different than the shift away from full sized SUVs (although that seems to have partially reversed itself).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

July 2015 August

1. Impala - 8156 1. Impala - 9880 (+)

2. Charger - 5821 2. Charger - 6734 (+)

3. Avalon - 5281 3. Avalon - 5491 (+)

4. Taurus - 4795 4. Lacrosse - 4508 (+)

5. 300 - 4174 5. 300 - 4145 (-)

6. Lacrosse - 3451 6. Taurus - 4050 (-)

7. XTS - 1302 7. XTS - 1531 (+)

8. MKS - 544 8. MKS - 552 (+)

As the owner of an SHO, I say great car- I'm currently reading 25.5 mpg. Only knock on it is the interior room-and I think that is the biggest complaint people have. 2010 that just turned 70,000 miles- only issue since new- sudden snd complete battery failure which I'm told is the norm for today's vehicles where virtually every circuit is controlled by relays-no more slow cranking to give indication that battery is on its last legs.

Also on its original Good year Eagles that aren't showing wear bars!

As for the cars on the list, I think the Taurus looks the best from the front. I still think its butt looks a little big. I think the new Impala and Lacrosse are good looking cars. Impala is much improved inside and out vs last version which was very plain looking. I never was a big fan of the 300/Charger. I test drove a Charger, and sitting in the back seat was real tight. I'm 6'0" 195 and don't feel cramped in the Taurus at all. U think the Avalon is boring, my uncle has one and he really likes it though.

• 2 weeks later...

Being a recent Taurus owner, I was curious where the Taurus came in sales wise vs other "Full size" competitors. I know a lot on here bemoan the poor sales of the Taurus.

July 2015

1. Impala - 8156

2. Charger - 5821

3. Avalon - 5281

4. Taurus - 4795

5. 300 - 4174

6. Lacrosse - 3451

7. XTS - 1302

Important note about the Impala sales figures. GM combines the W Body Impala, which is FLEET ONLY called Impala Limited, with the newer current Epsilon platform in their total vehicle sales. It will be interesting to see the actual sales figures adjust after they drop the Fleet Impala Limited in 2016. (Dodge Charger Police is also not broken out in individual sales figures) Only Taurus reflects separate police sales...average 600-700 vehicles per month. Edited by bdegrand

Wonder if the next Fusion will have larger interior and thus would overlap Taurus? So, Ford US figures just offer one car line in place of 2?

But, I've posted before that average car buyers don't like the full size prices for 'large' cars, figuuring " I'll get a truck/SUV for that much".

The other thing is today's 70 y/o likes an Escape to drive in retirement vs. a big car. Sun City AZ is now land of the CUV's; 20 years ago was lots of Grand Marqs.

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder if the next Fusion will have larger interior and thus would overlap Taurus? So, Ford US figures just offer one car line in place of 2?

But, I've posted before that average car buyers don't like the full size prices for 'large' cars, figuuring " I'll get a truck/SUV for that much".

The other thing is today's 70 y/o likes an Escape to drive in retirement vs. a big car. Sun City AZ is now land of the CUV's; 20 years ago was lots of Grand Marqs.

IMO the future of large cars (for domestics) would be midsize fwd/awd for most buyers and rwd/awd full-size for fleet/performance sedans, as said most people are going to CUVs and the rwd powertrains are available from trucks and ponycars.

Yes, some fwd full-size sedans will still be available but overall that's where it's going.

A large sedan can exist provided it shares a platform with a volume selling product,

whether that be D3 (currently) or CD4 (Chinese Taurus & Nth Anerican Continental)

I think the decider will be that CAP has to dedicate to Explorer and to do that,

a next Gen Taurus may be better twinned with Continental at FRAP.

A large sedan can exist provided it shares a platform with a volume selling product,

whether that be D3 (currently) or CD4 (Chinese Taurus & Nth Anerican Continental)

I think the decider will be that CAP has to dedicate to Explorer and to do that,

a next Gen Taurus may be better twinned with Continental at FRAP.

With the next generation Taurus a question mark for North America, I'm not sure what might happen if it does get the green light. Word on the floor here at FRAP is that they want to bring in 4 cars on top of the Mustang for a total of 5.

With the next generation Taurus a question mark for North America, I'm not sure what might happen if it does get the green light. Word on the floor here at FRAP is that they want to bring in 4 cars on top of the Mustang for a total of 5.

Wow, which products in your opinion are on the short list?

Wow, which products in your opinion are on the short list?

Other than Continental, Fusion and Mustang, my guess is the oft rumored Lincstang and MKZ. The new Taurus could still be a go as well, but with the Fusion refresh launching soon, and Continental starting it's launch soon after, I doubt they would complicate things further by adding a third product launch to one plant in the same calander year.

There's a pesky rumor going around too saying that FRAP is losing the Fusion, but I'm not buying that one, though if the Continental ends up selling hotter than they predict, I can see them not including as many Fusions in the mix as they currently run.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

How is that going to work? You'd think they'd max out at 300K units a year, and the Mustang will settle down to 100K a year, Conti 25k and the Fusion anywhere from 75-100K a year. Doesn't leave much wiggle room.

How is that going to work? You'd think they'd max out at 300K units a year, and the Mustang will settle down to 100K a year, Conti 25k and the Fusion anywhere from 75-100K a year. Doesn't leave much wiggle room.

Remember that Fusion is built in limited models and volume (around 8,000) with majority still coming from Mexico

Mustang ...12K/mth

Fusion .......8K/mth

Conti ..........2K/mth

LincStang....2K/mth...or new LWB Town Car off Conti?

So maube, 24K to 26K/mth is the max for two shifts at FRAP.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Remember that Fusion is built in limited models and volume (around 8,000) with majority still coming from Mexico

Mustang ...12K/mth

Fusion .......8K/mth

Conti ..........2K/mth

LincStang....2K/mth...or new LWB Town Car off Conti?

So maube, 24K to 26K/mth is the max for two shifts at FRAP.

Just with 2 shifts right now building only Mustang and Fusion, we are running 5 days a week, then one shift every Saturday. We've been building 450-500 per shift, which comes out to about 18K-20K per month, and another 2k if we do one shift every Saturday.

They can always add a third shift too. The last definite rumor I heard on that front was a January start, but that rumor died right around the time I got there just after shutdown in July.

The way things are going, I believe they will add a third shift either right before, or right after the Conti launch. Keep in mind, not only do we build every Mustang sold worldwide, but we will be building every Continental sold worldwide as well, so that's going to be well over 2k a month.

I just hope I'm still there for it all, and not back at MAP.

The way things are going, I believe they will add a third shift either right before, or right after the Conti launch. Keep in mind, not only do we build every Mustang sold worldwide, but we will be building every Continental sold worldwide as well, so that's going to be well over 2k a month.

Do you really think a Continental is going to sell that much better than the MKS? I think Ford is going to be lucky to sell 30K of them in NA and maybe another 20K or so in China..maybe thousand or two in the Middle East. Not sure what the MKS sold world wide.

Do you really think a Continental is going to sell that much better than the MKS? I think Ford is going to be lucky to sell 30K of them in NA and maybe another 20K or so in China..maybe thousand or two in the Middle East. Not sure what the MKS sold world wide.

I do, because MKS is/was largely not available worldwide. Another 50K volume on 2 shifts isn't viable, Unless you have those 2 shifts running 7 days a week. I'm all for overtime, but I absolutely don't want to be required to work 7 days a week, every week.

Plus, if I'm not mistaken, beyond NA, China and the Middle East, I'm pretty sure Continental is going to a few European and maybe African countries too. There's the rest of Asia where Lincoln has a presence as well. I think you are underestimating what it will do.

*Full disclosure, I've seen a prototype body sans most of the interior, bumpers and doors. Just that part looks even more sharp than the concept did.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

I do, because MKS is/was largely not available worldwide. Another 50K volume on 2 shifts isn't viable, Unless you have those 2 shifts running 7 days a week. I'm all for overtime, but I absolutely don't want to be required to work 7 days a week, every week.

Plus, if I'm not mistaken, beyond NA, China and the Middle East, I'm pretty sure Continental is going to a few European and maybe African countries too. There's the rest of Asia where Lincoln has a presence as well. I think you are underestimating what it will do.

*Full disclosure, I've seen a prototype body sans most of the interior, bumpers and doors. Just that part looks even more sharp than the concept did.

Sounds like you guys won't have time to spit, it looks like Ford is trying to fill the books

with decent sales of product, so maybe improved profit sharing bonus checks next year.