New Barracuda, Grand Cherokee Trackhawk coming soon

silvrsvt

Guys, really?

Chrysler

Attendee said the new Chrysler SUV was "Durango sized" and that you could see the interior was "identical" to the Durango. Is this the new utility they've been promising? If so.....

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Most likely a mockup based off the current Durango, wouldn't read much into it.

But everything shown today is said to be in showrooms in the next 12-24 months? The best they could do is a mockup based on an entirely different vehicle?

Much like a middle school lockerroom... that don't smell right.

Current gen Durango won't be around in that timeframe. So it makes sense in that aspect. 24 months out is still pretty dang far.

We've seen plenty of mules with different vehicle interiors. Heck the next gen T&C had a current gen Durango interior within the fully decked out new body. (Seems to be the go to interior for future vehicles)

Also being that has StownGo it might very well be based off the next gen minis.

...and we are also dealing with third-hand info remember.

Edited by Intrepidatious

Most likely a mockup based off the current Durango, wouldn't read much into it.

Even so, it's an event to build excitement for the products - should they get excited if they see a utility with minivan seats and a Durango interior?

Current gen Durango won't be around in that timeframe. So it makes sense in that aspect. 24 months out is still pretty dang far.

We've seen plenty of mules with different vehicle interiors. Heck the next gen T&C had a current gen Durango interior within the fully decked out new body. (Seems to be the go to interior for future vehicles)

Also being that has StownGo it might very well be based off the next gen minis.

...and we are also dealing with third-hand info remember.

Isn't the Durango supposed to be discontinued? I know it's been on again, off again....

If it is dropped, perhaps they're going the GM route like with the Acadia after the Outlook was dropped (using Outlook parts on Acadia) and will use some Durango parts?

Isn't the Durango supposed to be discontinued? I know it's been on again, off again....

If it is dropped, perhaps they're going the GM route like with the Acadia after the Outlook was dropped (using Outlook parts on Acadia) and will use some Durango parts?

The current Durango platform is based off the current Grand Cherokee which is being replaced. That and the availability of StownGo (which is a no go on the existing platform) indicates it will be all new.

The current Durango platform is based off the current Grand Cherokee which is being replaced. That and the availability of StownGo (which is a no go on the existing platform) indicates it will be all new.

Remember, though, that a "new" platform can be shoved under lots of other existing bits, especially when cash is tight. Remember the '06 Explorer?

How old was the Grand Cherokee platform, anyhow? With which generation of M-Class did it debut?

That makes sense....however my first point was about the talk of the Durango being dropped altogether, and replaced by "Grand Wagoneer" (don't remember mention of a Chrysler utility until now, but it makes sense).

I never understood how Chrysler was one of the first companies with a crossover, Pacifica, which never recieved any updates and then they haven't had one since.

Maybe it's my FCA-cynicism barking, but I have doubts that many of these products will see the light of day. A shorter Challenger coupe called the Dodge Barracuda? To quote I.I. Rabi, "Who ordered that?"

I'll agree that does seem odd. Maybe they'll do away with the Challenger long-term?

Maybe this 'Cuda uses that Alfa platform :confused::doh::lol2:

The thing that scares me the complete lack of Hybrid or alternative powered cars FCA doesn't have. I'd like to know how they plan on meeting CAFE regulations in the next 10 years.

I don't think Fiat 500 variants are going to carry the day, given how badly they are rated by buyers.

• Like 1

The thing that scares me the complete lack of Hybrid or alternative powered cars FCA doesn't have. I'd like to know how they plan on meeting CAFE regulations in the next 10 years.

I don't think Fiat 500 variants are going to carry the day, given how badly they are rated by buyers.

Alfa will save the day! :superhero::waiting:

Next gen mini kicks it off with hybrid & PIH. Why the minis to start? Well besides being the first with a new platform, they sell a lot and get crappy gas mileage. Other vehicles will follow as they are redesigned.

The Chrysler CUV also gets PIH at the same time so I think that also is an indicator it will share the new mini platform.

Edited by Intrepidatious

Maybe it's my FCA-cynicism barking, but I have doubts that many of these products will see the light of day. A shorter Challenger coupe called the Dodge Barracuda? To quote I.I. Rabi, "Who ordered that?"

The products already been green-lit, hence the dealer conference.

The "Barracuda"is a working name for the coming car it may be named Avenger, Daytona, etc because apparently the Challenger will still be in production when the small , rwd coupe hit the lots. Probably the small car IMO would have turbo v6 power, small Hemi while the Challenger will have 392/Hellcat power.

Next gen mini kicks it off with hybrid & PIH. Why the minis to start? Well besides being the first with a new platform, they sell a lot and get crappy gas mileage. Other vehicles will follow as they are redesigned.

The Chrysler CUV also gets PIH at the same time so I think that also is an indicator it will share the new mini platform.

Plus, the minivans are also kinda what they're known for, so it makes sense for them to put it there where they can look like they're leading the pack with minivan technology (AFAIK, no other minivan has a hybrid or PIH as of now).

Nope, a 392 powered Durango is confirmed coming. Chrysler will get the minivan based crossover unless the new minivan platform is rwd/rwd/awd based.

Would that version not be here before a full redesign - so on the current platform?

---

And don't you know? Chrysler is using CD6 for their next-gen vehicles :stirpot:

• Like 2

It's quite possible Durango may not get a redesign and might stick it out a couple years "as-is". But I kinda doubt it as it is built along with the Grand Cherokee which is getting an entirely new platform.

More likely is that the Durango may just get the 392 for just a year or so before the redesign. It already is available with the Hemi and the 392 is just another version of it. It essentially is "plug and play".

Edited by Intrepidatious

As far as you know, which isn't very far.

And there's your dilemma: Either FCA is building a second RWD coupe that absolutely nobody wants, or they're promising one that they have no idea how they're going to fund.

So are they supposed to make everything failed wheel drive (fwd) and 1.5 turbo 4 to make it believable?.

The "Cuda" was done along with the AR Giulia at the same time so theirs no "funding" issue.

As far as "nobody wants" is purely opinionated. A modern design, turbo 4/ v6 only coupe will pique interest from import buyers as well as American car buyers.