So how bout them 2nd quarter profits.

niteeyes

Hmmm...? Sounds as if history might be repeating its self. fuzzy, a man by the name of Henry said something very similar to what you said.

Henry, went on record stating there was no way the union would ever set up shop in any one of his plants. A couple brothers and a group of laborers put together some crazy ideas. Expressed these ideas to the laborers in the plants. Got some ass kickin's, some sittin downs and some ain't taken this shit attitudes. Henry didn't like the brothers ideas but he realized he had lost the "it can`t happen" fight. The rest is history.

The brothers and the group of laborers that "thought for themselves" and put the ideas together won such things like health care, pensions, paid time off, dependent benefits, life insurance, scheduled hourly rate increases, seniority, classification descriptions, trades grouping and equal pay for equal labor.

If you were to look up the dates these benefits were secured, it paints a picture of an organization that has not only been doing the back peddling that has been in full view of everyone as supporting the other side of the table but, this organization has adopted the same techniques that the companies used against the brothers and laborers so many years ago. Threats of loss of employment, fear and intimidation seem to be coming from our agents on a regular schedule of every four years.

I read along time ago, after the brothers and laborers won their right to organize, Henry not long there after the laborers win stated "I (Henry) will control their union by one simple gift, executive privilege".

He set up offices for the union rep's, allowed free meals at the cafeteria, gave the rep's the privilege to come and go with no regard to the time clock and the greatest idea Henry ever had, the company control of the paying of the union representatives. "Executive privileges"

With this rambling, I would add, it's been said many times "it can't happen". But, it can if the laborers finally get tired of the same, if not worse treatment the company gave the brothers and the laborers that "thought for themselves" way back when.

The labor movement that the brothers organized is all but dead. IMO

I base my opinion on these observations and first-hand experiences.

Threats of loss of your employment. Fear of retaliation. Intimidation from the leadership.

This all from the organization we pay to represent us and to be our voice at the table that governs our lives.

fuzzy I enjoy reading your posts and was truly glad things are looking up for you as an organized laborer but, I hope you are wrong.

I truly believe it's time to pick out what good apples that might be left and throw out all the rotten apples and all the dead weight at the bottom of the laborers basket. Then do something that hasn't been done in a long time, fill the laborers basket with apples the laborers can benefits from, instead of the apples working to be apart of some executive pie.

Decker

1 of the 1788

enough with the history lesson, i do know it well. let me ask u what henry did with workers who got plastered(drunk or high u pick) then returned to work ? um they prolly got fired...history is full of lesson not learned. beside the lessons of the 30's and 40's are not relevent today, we have a totally different society, people look at these vastly different then 85 years ago, some good and some bad, i know. btw henry(who was a good ol wise man...God rest his soul) also thought hitler would win.... he was a mortal man like any of us, he also made mistakes....we all do....but none the less, the UAW, if it does not change how it does business will not be here in 40 years. dont get me wrong, im all about being union, and sticking together and helping each other, but i dispise helping someone who WONT help himself (lazy drunks and or druggies..ETC) we need a frsh perspective and face change at the UAW, and it starts with us members.

exactly! we need a voice and say in all international things/people. and for one if u choose to screw off and do drugs and get drunk ONJ, terminate them. old model needs to be thrown out the window. the workers (ones that come in every day and do the best they can) need the UAW to help protect their jobs by weeding bad people out, etc

Edited by dark270

Wow dark!!! I thought that is all the locals are about the only time I see a union official is to protect a dead beat or shut something down with a bogus safety issue. If I ask for one of them to help with a issue they are either in a meeting, going to a meeting or too busy with deadbeats. Sound familiar??? Is it that way at your plant? Usually all I here is slow down suck-ass your making others look bad. Then the bullies come out to visit me.