Ford Motor Company July 2015 Sales Results

robertlane

And if they move MKZ out they can move all Fusion production back to Hermosillo.

No because then, you have to build hybrids in two different locations, I think that would add complexity that isn't there now.

It would only work if FRAP was building hybrid Continentals as well as hybrid MKZs otherwise it's just increased logistics.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

. That's also why I think a stretched fusion could replace the Taurus. More platform sharing.

Uh isn't that what basically the Chinese Taurus and Continental is?

The new Taurus has a 116 wheelbase vs 112 on the Edge/Fusion....but is only 5 inches longer then the Fusion (and the Edge length is actually shorter then the Fusion!)

Its the same situation as the Flex vs the Taurus...the Flex has a 117 WB vs the 112 WB on the Taurus and Explorer.

• Like 1

I was taking it with a grain of salt for that reason. But Richard ignores one other advantage - freeing up factory space for Fusions, Escapes and Edges.

I'm not saying it's a fact or even likely, just a possibility. There are some advantages, but also disadvantages.

Moving product is very expensive for equipment and installation. Manpower training is required in one or more plants.Each work station has to be redone from an industrial

engineering point of view and from a process engineering point of view. You have to review ergonomics and safety. Review material handling flow. You lose production during

ramp up. A Lincoln specific plant would build 100000 units(guess) in a 300000 unit plant. The move costs a lot of cash before job 1 and effectively triples your fixed costs

per unit. Looks to me like 200000 units of capacity are off the table. You would be creating a slow, inefficient one shift plant that could not handle an economic downturn.

I thought the whole reason to keeping MkZ production in Mexico was to consolidate the building of the hybrids in one plant?

What changed? Why would Ford want to change that? Doesn't make sense unless you move all hybrid production, or you plan on building more than you are now.

I thought the whole reason to keeping MkZ production in Mexico was to consolidate the building of the hybrids in one plant?

What changed? Why would Ford want to change that? Doesn't make sense unless you move all hybrid production, or you plan on building more than you are now.

Well, technically, Ford's building hybrids at two plants (MAP).....

But I agree with your point: If you had a dedicated Lincoln facility, you would then have to build hybrids at an additional plant.

Well, technically, Ford's building hybrids at two plants (MAP).....

I should have been more specific. I meant to consolidate the hybrid powertrain of the Fusion/MkZ to one plant, because it only makes sense. Low volume option, why install it in multiple locations.

I should have been more specific. I meant to consolidate the hybrid powertrain of the Fusion/MkZ to one plant, because it only makes sense. Low volume option, why install it in multiple locations.

Exactly.

And it makes sense for that one plant to be HMO because if you did all the hybrids at FRAP, then you'd either be assembling the MKZ in two locations which makes zero sense, or you'd be assembling far fewer Fusions at FRAP which would raise the cost of each Fusion a small but non-trivial amount.

Exactly.

And it makes sense for that one plant to be HMO because if you did all the hybrids at FRAP, then you'd either be assembling the MKZ in two locations which makes zero sense, or you'd be assembling far fewer Fusions at FRAP which would raise the cost of each Fusion a small but non-trivial amount.

The only way I see FRAP as the single hybrid plant for CD4 is if all MKZ types as well as all Fusion hybrids are built there

but to seal that deal Continental and CD4 Taurus would also need to have hybrid versions - we've had no suggestin that's happening.

There is no way that Ford is going to undo its production locatons half way through this product cycle, any changes would be counterproductive.

Edited by jpd80

Where can we check, Fusion Hybrid/Energi, Focus Electric and MKZ Hybrid sale figure each month?

One source would be Autobloggreen....LINK

July sales

Fusion Hybrid 2157

Fusion energi 852

MKZ hybrid 725

Focus EV 135

C-Max hybrid 1225

C-Max energi 693