General Motors launches a new anti-aluminum campaign targeting the F-150

One on the GM Commercial Fleet channel:

Another on the Chevrolet channel:

A separate, different ad, from the ones above (this one, being the one in the article). Most likely targeted towards the retail market/for television:

A slightly different version for the Latino/Spanish-speaking market:

And yet, another ad:

They're pretty much going to have to end up doing the same thing, aren't they? Aren't they just going to end up eating their words?

Edited by zipnzap

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Either GM will eventually have to follow suit and eat crow or Ford is going to have eat the higher cost of aluminum if GM somehow manages to stay with steel.

My only compliant with steel is that it only lasts 5-10 years here in the rust belt. If aluminum finally resolves this issue, then I'm all for it. Then again I could just as easily envision masses of 2015 F150s driving around 5-10 years from now missing half their paint because Ford missed an aluminum-paint bond degradation mechanism in their testing regime. Only time will tell.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

http://www.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303491404579391144135588938

Also, when I want smart commentary on metallurgy and materials science, I can't help but think of Howie Long, former defensive lineman for the Oakland-Los-Angeles-Oakland Raiders, and holder of a degree in Communications from Villanova.

And when I think about GM's criticism of Ford trucks, I think of this:

And this:

2015-chevrolet-silverado-3500hd-model-ov

Instead of a wide step that tucks neatly away, you've got these narrow little footholds that are perpetually visible. Good job GM!!

• Like 4

How many rotted out Grumman LLV US Postal Service trucks do you see? And the paint stays on them too....

Oh I know it's possible. Ford has been successfully using aluminum hoods for years. I don't doubt they got it right on the F150 either. All I'm saying is that when new tech is first rolled out, it doesn't always work out flawlessly due to unforeseen issues that weren't identified during testing. It's happened before and will happen again.

Two things.

First, I thought I'd read that GM was already making moves toward "alumininum-izing" their trucks. Have they given up on this?

Second, the indentation in the bumper is fine, on a dry day with clean shoes. Try it on a rainy day, with muddy shoes, and see how much grip there is. Also, how convenient is it when you have a camper shell?

Two things.

First, I thought I'd read that GM was already making moves toward "alumininum-izing" their trucks. Have they given up on this?

Second, the indentation in the bumper is fine, on a dry day with clean shoes. Try it on a rainy day, with muddy shoes, and see how much grip there is. Also, how convenient is it when you have a camper shell?

GM has secured the Al and is planning to move to an Al truck in the '18 or '19 model year I believe.

Maybe Ram can recycle these commercials in 2-3 years...

It will be "easy" for GM to flip flop on this. GM will go to aluminum in 2018, but that is a few years away and by then it may not be all aluminum. GM will claim they used aluminum in the right places and this other more durable materials here (ultra high strength steel, carbon fiber, etc.), or "our aluminum is better and stronger", it is welded, not riveted etc. Whether it is better or not, GM will claim it is and flip flop just like they flip flopped on the tailgate step (that Richard mentioned), the bed side steps they bashed in 2009 (which Howie called the man step that "doesn't fix the problem" in an infomerical), heated steering wheels, etc. And in the meantime they will bash Ford.

Look at it this way. Marketing is never going to paint competitors in a good light. Watch them for what they are (puff pieces) and than look at the quarterly reports.

They are stupid, but I got a chuckle.

IMO, marketing should be handled in the same way as political campaigns. Don't tell me why I should not buy (or vote for) the other guy, tell me why I SHOULD buy (or vote for) your product. I don't want to hear about their negatives, I want to hear about your positives. Don't even let me know the other guy exists, because that just builds up their brand recognition or makes me want to check them out and research them more.

• Like 1

IMO, marketing should be handled in the same way as political campaigns. Don't tell me why I should not buy (or vote for) the other guy, tell me why I SHOULD buy (or vote for) your product. I don't want to hear about their negatives, I want to hear about your positives. Don't even let me know the other guy exists, because that just builds up their brand recognition or makes me want to check them out and research them more.

I agree, but honestly..let's face reality. There's no holds barred in sales and politics. Like when Ford put out the bankruptcy commercial or when Dodge towed the Explorer behind the Durango. Who really cares in the long run?

Laugh it off and continue to look at the reality of the situation. F-150 is going to sell like gangbusters even if GM put out a video saying it was made of asbestos.

Edit: a word

Edited by Intrepidatious
  • Like 1

I agree, but honestly..let's face reality. There's no holds barred in sales and politics. Like when Ford put out the bankruptcy commercial or when Dodge towed the Explorer behind the Durango. Who really cares in the long run?

Laugh it off and continue to look at the reality of the situation. F-150 is going to sell like gangbusters even if GM put out a video saying it was made of asbestos.

Definitely true.

There's your Ford ad; compare the "competitor trucks to asbestos" as an old and outdated way of thinking and there are more advanced products out today that offer better benefits than the old. Where the F-150 is advanced and futuristic, adding they'll catch up to us in a few years in advanced thinking.

Ultimately none of this rhetoric really matters. It's who sells the most trucks that counts.

And if I was in the market for a new truck, I wouldn't buy an F-150 now because it's too new of a design. I'd wait a few years until I could see that that there are no major issues with an aluminum intensive truck like the F-150.