Installing something that should have come with the car

Anthony

Auto-dimming rear view mirror with Homelink.

$35 on EBay. Easy install. I always put these in any car I own that didn't come with it.

I heard Ford decontented the auto-dimming mirror at some point in the MK3 Focus from all models. Why?

Anyway easy addition.

post-6726-0-72369000-1436125005.jpg

post-6726-0-72369000-1436125005_thumb.jpg

Mine, from the factory, doesn't work worth a damn. Only works on yellow light spectrum. So it dims for halogens but not the real blinding culprits of HID headlights and eBay blue headlights.

So they are pretty much useless.

Edited by J-150

Mine, from the factory, doesn't work worth a damn. Only works on yellow light spectrum. So it dims for halogens but not the real blinding culprits of HID headlights and eBay blue headlights.

So they are pretty much useless.

This is a GNTX-313. I find that it works really well. Not sure what came from the factory in prior years, but I'm pretty sure Gentex / Mito supplies most factory auto-dimming mirrors (?)

That really should have came with your car. Your dealer sucks.

The dealer has nothing to do with it. Ford decontented the Focus and no longer offers it as an option or in a package.

• Like 1

Why do some expect Focus to be a luxury car? Expecting all to be fully loaded and have self-parking. Want luxury, lease an Audi, etc.

MKII focus at least had an auto dimming rear view mirror, and it didn't even have standard anti-lock brakes. They didn't have to discontinue it for MY2013

This is a GNTX-313. I find that it works really well. Not sure what came from the factory in prior years, but I'm pretty sure Gentex / Mito supplies most factory auto-dimming mirrors (?)

Do you know if this mirror works on both the old frequencies and the new ones Chamberlain has? I have 2 of the older generation Chamberlains that my 2007 Mercury Montego's Homelink works with, but not on my newest opener. And my old 2003 F150 has no Homelink. So that's the one I'm actually interested in installing one of these for.

Why do some expect Focus to be a luxury car? Expecting all to be fully loaded and have self-parking. Want luxury, lease an Audi, etc.

I don't think this qualifies as a luxury item. The Focus is available with park assist. The Focus shares parts with its Escape brethren so it's not too much of a stretch to have auto-dimming mirrors and maybe bring back rain-sensing wipers.

Do you know if this mirror works on both the old frequencies and the new ones Chamberlain has? I have 2 of the older generation Chamberlains that my 2007 Mercury Montego's Homelink works with, but not on my newest opener. And my old 2003 F150 has no Homelink. So that's the one I'm actually interested in installing one of these for.

Contact Chamberlain and see if you can get a free repeater. We had the same issue when we built our new home. Neither of our vehicles ('08 F250 and '09 Flex) would work with the new opener. A call to Chamberlain and Ford comped a free repeater that works with the old Homelink system and the new opener. If not, they have them on Amazon for $30 or so.

Here you go: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071EYS1U/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1KHG1HARY6U17

I have two Chamberlain garage door openers with rolling codes and it works for those. Not sure when they are from though.

According to the Homelink instructions, it should work for both. (using it with rolling codes required an extra step)

Edited by Intrepidatious

ytG3EZS.gif

Auto-dimming mirror a luxury feature? It was previously offered on the the Focus then de-contented out. I guess the Focus used to be a luxury car and got downgraded?

ytG3EZS.gif

Auto-dimming mirror a luxury feature? It was previously offered on the the Focus then de-contented out. I guess the Focus used to be a luxury car and got downgraded?

I already said that!

MKII focus at least had an auto dimming rear view mirror, and it didn't even have standard anti-lock brakes. They didn't have to discontinue it for MY2013

See!

MK1.5 Focus at least had an auto dimming rear view mirror, and it didn't even have standard anti-lock brakes. They didn't have to discontinue it for MY2013

Fixed for you.

Ford N.A. added ABS to the MY2010 Focus as a standard feature.

Edited by MKII