Ford Motor Company June 2015 Sales Figures

Anthony

Huh? The last model year for the E-Series vans was 2014. The first model year for Transit was 2015. It was ready to go.

Hell I thought they dropped the E-Series in 2013.

Probably because there weren't many E-Series on the lot here in this area at that time.

Edited by BlackHorse

FCA: 185,035

Ford: 225,647

Now if you assume that Ford's retail volume was 75% of all sales, that's 169,235. In order for FCA to exceed that, they would have to be doing considerably less than 10% overall fleet volume.

Even if you go as high as 30% of Ford to fleets, that would require fleet percentages of under 15% for FCA. That's just not plausible.

Fleet sales, retail sales, who cares. As if the respective companies are sitting around all down in the mouth because they sold a bunch of vehicles to commercial customers. A sale is a sale and fleet sales as it happens are good for business.

Probably not many retail customers buying F750's and even the F150 is pretty commonly sold to commerical accounts. Just about every municipal government in this area has a fleet of F150 work trucks. By comparison I can't recall the last time I saw a private residence with a RAM 5500 in the garage.

NASDAQ reported the actual numbers for ChryCo

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/chrylser-hits-retail-milestone-tops-ford-20150701-01246

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV scored a victory in June, selling about 300 more light vehicles at dealers than its larger rival Ford Motor Co. But winning was costly.

The No. 3 U.S. auto maker sold 146,151 vehicles on a retail basis, likely representing the first time it outpaced Ford in the closely watched portion of the monthly sales that are sold to individual consumers at dealerships. Overall, Ford solidly outpaced its smaller rival—selling 224,681 vehicles overall compared with Fiat Chrysler's 185,035. But that difference was due to Ford selling 35% of its vehicles to fleet buyers such as commercial users, governments and rental car companies.

Of note, ChryCo also outspent Ford by nearly $800 per vehicle on incentives.

I'm not seeing how the math is working....

Ford sold 225,647 units. 35% of that would be 78,977 fleet units (78,976.45, and I rounded up). Meaning 225,647 - 78,977 = 146,670 units were retail.

The numbers above say Chryco had 146,151 retail sales.

Last time I checked, 146,670 > 146,151. A difference of 519 units, in Ford's favor. So again, I'm not understanding how that works?

FCA: 185,035

Ford: 225,647

Now if you assume that Ford's retail volume was 75% of all sales, that's 169,235. In order for FCA to exceed that, they would have to be doing considerably less than 10% overall fleet volume.

Even if you go as high as 30% of Ford to fleets, that would require fleet percentages of under 15% for FCA. That's just not plausible.

I'm not seeing how the math is working....

Ford sold 225,647 units. 35% of that would be 78,977 fleet units (78,976.45, and I rounded up). Meaning 225,647 - 78,977 = 146,670 units were retail.

The numbers above say Chryco had 146,151 retail sales.

Last time I checked, 146,670 > 146,151. A difference of 519 units, in Ford's favor. So again, I'm not understanding how that works?

My guess is that the 35% number being thrown around is rounded and not an exact percentage. (I mean really what are the chances of it being exactly 35%?)

Neither company has commented on it, so who knows for sure?

However the articles do mention an exact number of sales difference between the two so they are getting their numbers from somewhere. Where? No clue.

I'm going to guess the 35% was a rounded figure.

--

What amuses me about this is that fleet volume is, allegedly, less profitable. Yet----Ford almost certainly made more per unit in revenue, gross & net than FCA.

Almost certainly? I think you could say definitely without raising an eyebrow.

Fleet sales, retail sales, who cares. As if the respective companies are sitting around all down in the mouth because they sold a bunch of vehicles to commercial customers. A sale is a sale and fleet sales as it happens are good for business.

+1

Passenger cars and light trucks are no different in this regard than other durable goods that are sold to consumers as well as businesses, e.g., power tools, personal computers, audio/video equipment, etc. The notion that light vehicles sold to fleet customers are unprofitable for automotive OEMs is a misconception.

+1

Passenger cars and light trucks are no different in this regard than other durable goods that are sold to consumers as well as businesses, e.g., power tools, personal computers, audio/video equipment, etc. The notion that light vehicles sold to fleet customers are unprofitable for automotive OEMs is a misconception.

Unprofitable? No, absolutely not. But you can't deny that the margin between the two is different.

Unprofitable? No, absolutely not. But you can't deny that the margin between the two is different.

It's going to depend on the vehicle in question. The margin on an F750 for instance is by no means going to be a loss for Ford regardless of who the customer is and 99% of the time that is a commerical customer.

I might agree that dumping cars into rental fleets probably doesn't have the same margin as a private sale of the same vehicle but most likely whatever slim margin is there is probably more than offset by the big commerical sales. Even a big order of say 80 F150 work trucks to company X is still going to have a decent margin.

It's going to depend on the vehicle in question. The margin on an F750 for instance is by no means going to be a loss for Ford regardless of who the customer is and 99% of the time that is a commerical customer.

I might agree that dumping cars into rental fleets probably doesn't have the same margin as a private sale of the same vehicle but most likely whatever slim margin is there is probably more than offset by the big commerical sales. Even a big order of say 80 F150 work trucks to company X is still going to have a decent margin.

Cover up the difference however you want, there's still a difference in margin