Pope Francis: Weapons Manufacturers Can't Call Themselves Christian

Once again we're focusing on the tools instead of the person wielding the tools. A person who wants to kill someone will find a tool to use. But that's a much much harder problem to solve. It's far easier to just pass a law banning something and pat yourself on the back and pretend that it made a difference even if it doesn't.

• Like 2

Point being, the swords served a purpose, and someone had to make/sell them.

If the Pope wants to call them sinners, fine. All are. But, it would seem strange to render them ineligible to call themselves Christians, when they served the Lord's purpose.

Just as (you pointed out earlier) the Pope is protected by armed guards.

The swords were likely made by Jews, or Romans, or Greeks, or Egyptians. Not Christians, since none existed at the time.

The swords were likely made by Jews, or Romans, or Greeks, or Egyptians. Not Christians, since none existed at the time.

If you're suggesting that making use of weapons and making them is the difference between right and wrong, the I disagree.

If there's a legitimate Christian use for a weapon, then it is legitimate (and I'd argue no less Christian) to make it.

• Like 2

Joshua went to jerico and when the walls came down they killed everybody in it, man, woman and child. This was done in the name of the Lord. (and I agree of course) so to say Chistians never fight/kill/whatever is out and out wrong. David slew Goliath by knocking him out with a stone and then decapitating him with his own sword, again, this was in favour of God.

I'm a Christian and in the army now for 31 years and have many tours/experiences under my belt. I believe that as a soldier for my country I am justified in the Lords eyes doing my duty. That said, if I do something I'm not supposed to do, even if it's not discovered...I have someone a lot higher "rank" who knows what I've done.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Is the pope is OK with his Swiss guard and his armed security detail ?

Weapons are OK for his protection but not individuals for protection, recreation or lawful ownership ?

I am glad our nation has a Bill or Rights and a constitution even though its been eroded over time by idiot politicians & supreme court.

I do not understand the pope's "logic" nor would he understand mine.

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect the Pope may be speaking from a limited view of reality

Where he is from and the culture of no private firearms has an impact to his thinking

Add in the fact that most of us here are not real cognizant of all the manufacturers feeding the desire for tinpot wackos all around the globe creating miniature armies and need LOTs of weapons and ammo

I suspect his daily briefing includes a bit about the weapons trade into the conflict countries killing a bunch of Christians

I would love to have the contract for all the AK ammo just shot in the air every day by nut case middle easterners happy or mad about something

Edited by Fredvon4
  • Like 1

Where did Jesus' disciples get their swords from just before he was arrested?

and what did Jesus say to Peter immediately after using the sword and to the centurion had his ear replaced and healed. Seems Jesus only allowed Peter to use the sword so that Jesus could heal the centurion for the purpose of living the example 'turn the other cheek.

Is the pope is OK with his Swiss guard and his armed security detail ?

Weapons are OK for his protection but not individuals for protection, recreation or lawful ownership ?

I am glad our nation has a Bill or Rights and a constitution even though its been eroded over time by idiot politicians & supreme court.

I do not understand the pope's "logic" nor would he understand mine.

have to have 'militias' for defense from governments that have nuclear weapons, ya that aught to turn out OK

and what did Jesus say to Peter immediately after using the sword and to the centurion had his ear replaced and healed. Seems Jesus only allowed Peter to use the sword so that Jesus could heal the centurion for the purpose of living the example 'turn the other cheek.

Then I suppose we agree the sword served God's purpose.

• 4 months later...

Morality does not spring from religion. Religions use "morality" as a tool to attract followers. Moses never existed, and the Ten Commandments attributed to him already, for the most part existed in older morality codes. Forensics have estimated that the books of Moses were written around 500 B.C., give or take a century; and Moses would have lived in the 15th century B.C. Where did the authors (there were four, plus one editor) get their information from? Religion is the greatest instigator of torture, murder, and genocide that ever existed. It infects your mind and limits your capacity to learn and think. Who cares what a left wing pope says? His whole philosophy is based on fantasy and nonsense.

Think about this for a second:

If nobody made those weapons, there would be no need to defend from those weapons. Therefore, if NOBODY ever produced those weapons, we could all live in peace. Then everyone could live without fear of these weapons and everyone could live more 'Christian.'

To keep others from living as a Christian is un-Christian. So, producing these weapons is un-Christian.

Alright, thank you because somebody had to say it.

I'm not saying I agree with him, not at all... however...

the argument that weapons "have saved Christianity" seems kind of bogus.... considering it would be the same weapons arming the "other guys" threatening Christianity's existence..

so if the "other guys" didn't have weapons to threaten Christians with, Christians wouldn't need them for protection.

Call him out all-day on his fantasy utopia... but don't use a faulty argument to do so lol

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, thank you because somebody had to say it.

I'm not saying I agree with him, not at all... however...

the argument that weapons "have saved Christianity" seems kind of bogus.... considering it would be the same weapons arming the "other guys" threatening Christianity's existence..

so if the "other guys" didn't have weapons to threaten Christians with, Christians wouldn't need them for protection.

Call him out all-day on his fantasy utopia... but don't use a faulty argument to do so lol

Luke 6:27-36
27 "But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 " Whoever hits you on the cheek , offer him the other also; and whoever takes away your coat, do not withhold your shirt from him either. 30 "Give to everyone who asks of you, and whoever takes away what is yours, do not demand it back. 31 " Treat others the same way you want them to treat you. 32 " If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33 "If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 " If you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners in order to receive back the same amount. 35 "But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men. 36 " Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
NASU
These are the words of Christ. What is left to reason......
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Jesus was an invention of the Roman government. The Jews refused to recognize the Emperor as a god, so they invented a god who was a peaceful Jew, hoping to stop the Jews from revolting against Roman authority. It didn't work with the Jews, but it started a new religion. The story was copied, enhanced, and changed over a few centuries, and the four least contradictory stories out of around one hundred eighty were selected for the official New Testament.

Edited by Trimdingman