2016 Super Duty forum chatter?

Ahh, no sales tax. We pay sales tax, so on a new SD with a negotiated price of $50k, we'll pay $3k in sales tax. Trade in does come off that value, so that helps. Same goes for anything with a title. We were just discussing this with our kids last night. Buy something? Pay a tax. Own something? Pay a tax. Use something? Pay a tax. Sell something for a profit? Pay a tax.

Yeah, they will get it one way or the other.

...not meaning to turn this into a tax discussion...

Insurance rates here don't fluctuate much either. It's about the same for my SD as it is for our Flex.

Years ago I had a 3500HD Chevy dually truck registered at a mere 8600# so it would be "legal" to run on the Garden State Parkway.

The only caveat is that if you get pulled over by a Trooper at an inspection stop you had best NOT weigh in over 8600#

As info, the initial registration fee in NJ for a new 10,000# vehicle is $555.

For the higher weight of 11,400# it's $703.00 <ouch!>

I called my insurance company for a quote and they simply told me that 10k# and over is commercial (even if it's for private use) and the truck couldn't be put on my existing policy. :violin:

-Ej-

Is the initial registration fee for 5 years?

My SD was a hair over $1,000 for the first year and was $826 this year.

That's incredible!

Makes me feel like the highway robbery Chris Christy is committing here in Jersey isn't really that bad. :dance:

With a garage full of motorcycles, 3 cars, and two light trailers in the yard, registration time here is costly and annoying.

And yes Sir; the initial registration fee (11k-12k#) is for 4 years ($703) non-refundable even if you sell, and then it's $182 per year every year thereafter. . .

And we won't even discuss the battering we all take on insurance here in the NY/Metro area.

I have teen age kids on my policy too. <ouch!>

In GA they replaced the 7% (in my county at least) sales tax and annual ad valorem fees (typically $400-$500 the first few years) with a one time fee up front that is currently at 7%. It's saving me close to $1000/year right now.

Just wait until they find out it's saving you money! :)

Just wait until they find out it's saving you money! :)

I'm pretty sure they're making it up elsewhere, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Actually I'm pretty sure they're making it up on used car sales which previously were not taxed (private party sales). Now they are.

I'm pretty sure they're making it up elsewhere, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Actually I'm pretty sure they're making it up on used car sales which previously were not taxed (private party sales). Now they are.

They saw the rise in used car sales coming and decided to capitalize, while letting everyone else think they were getting off easy.

They saw the rise in used car sales coming and decided to capitalize, while letting everyone else think they were getting off easy.

It's also a lot easier to collect the fee up front at purchase time so it can be rolled into the financing than trying to collect it each year. This way they don't have to worry about collecting from folks who don't pay.

• Like 1