2017 expedition

catan70

I have a feeling that the Expedition will have more in common with the F150 like and the Expedition EL will have more in common with this:

ucqgzm2w9es9fvjclard.jpg

If that's true, I think the EL will basically be what the Excursion was, except with an all aluminum body and more fuel efficient power trains. At least that is what I am hoping. :)

If we get the F250 I'm hoping for, I could possibly see that. The Expy is to the F150 as the Expy EL is to the F250. By the looks of that pic, it looks like an F250 with IFS. If it is indeed 4x4 as the sticker on the back indicates, it appears to sit a bit lower than the current SD, and possibly IFS. Please Ford, just either ditch or fix that fender vent. That's craptacular!

However, I would not expect the 6.7L diesel in it, likely EcoBoost and MAYBE a smaller diesel if one shows up. I just think the Scorpion is overkill for an F250 and we really need a smaller diesel around 4.0L with numbers about 60% of what the 6.7L puts out.

Hey, at least we can dream big, right? :)

• Like 1

Live rear axle in an Expedition/Navigator would mean a new unique rear floorpan with much high load floor and compromised rear seating package. Not going to happen!

The new Expedition/Navigator are likely to be 2018 models with aluminum structure similar to F150. It will be interesting to see the transition plan for KTP regarding SD and Expedition /Navigator as I don't believe that Aluminum and steel vehicles can go through the body assembly equipment at the same time.

Ford has said the '17 Raptor will have the 10 speed, not that it is necessarily first. I feel if the 10 speed is in the '10 Raptor, it will be in the regular F150 as well. If it's ready for the Raptor, it should be ready for the rest of the lineup unless they can't produce them fast enough yet and have to ramp up.

Good point... maybe the 10 speed will have staggered roll out on 2017 F-150 going to the most expensive models first... Raptor first, then other 3.5 EB, then 2.7 EB, and finally the 5.0 and 3.7 in 2018.

I guess it all depends on how fast Ford can ramp up production.

The Expedition has never shared the rear suspension with an F150 before, so I don't know why they would start doing it now. Like I've said before, I'd be shocked if the Expedition didn't have IRS. The EL may get an SRA, but I seriously doubt it will have leaf springs.

The original Expedition didn't have IRS. Not sure how similar it was to F-150 of that period.

But I agree with you that the new one will have IRS for sure.

Live rear axle in an Expedition/Navigator would mean a new unique rear floorpan with much high load floor and compromised rear seating package. Not going to happen!

The new Expedition/Navigator are likely to be 2018 models with aluminum structure similar to F150. It will be interesting to see the transition plan for KTP regarding SD and Expedition /Navigator as I don't believe that Aluminum and steel vehicles can go through the body assembly equipment at the same time.

They will have there own body and paint shop. We have been expanding for the last 2 years for the next launch for both models.

The original Expedition didn't have IRS. Not sure how similar it was to F-150 of that period.

But I agree with you that the new one will have IRS for sure.

I owned a 1998 & 2001 Expedition and I owned a 2001 F150 SuperCrew. They all had SRA's, but the Expedition had coil springs rear suspension. From the front doors forward, they were identical, but from the B post back, they were completely different. My point was that since the F150 and Expedition have never shared the same rear suspension, I don't see why Ford would start doing it now. That is why I think the next Expedition will retain the IRS.

I don't think Ford would give up the only thing that differentiates them from the Tahoe/Yukon in the fold flat rear row with IRS.

We love our 2008 Limited, and compared to a friends 2009 Yukon, its night and day the added utility of the fold flat rear row. When I first showed them how you didn't have to remove the rear seats to fit anything in it they were shocked.

My point was that since the F150 and Expedition have never shared the same rear suspension, I don't see why Ford would start doing it now. That is why I think the next Expedition will retain the IRS.

But Ford was selling a LOT more Expeditions back then. The market has dropped significantly so the volume may not be there to support that type of differentiation.

Not saying it will or won't but Ford is a different company now and volumes are not what they once were so the decision making might be different.

Then again Navigator might force IRS anyway probably making it a moot point.

I don't think Ford would give up the only thing that differentiates them from the Tahoe/Yukon in the fold flat rear row with IRS.

I would like to see them keep it, but you have to question whether that differentiation actually bought them any extra sales considering the Takons (doesn't sound nearly as good as Canyorado or Silvererra) have killed Expedition in sales.