2017 expedition

catan70

The Expedition doesn't sell well because it looks nearly identical to the 2007 model that I had. I change vehicles every 2 - 3 years and the Expedtion isn't even in the running because of that fact, and changing the motor and a couple other bits won't change that. At least the Navigator changes are somewhat compelling. It does look moderately different enough that I would consider it. I think the sales numbers of the Navigator reflect that sentiment.

THIS^^^^^^

I don't know if Ford will keep the IRS but I suspect the F-150 frame was designed with Expedition in mind from the beginning so they probably make provisions for it. And if Ford wants Navigator to compete with Range Rover, then IRS is a bare minimum requirement. Some fancy adjustable suspension is probably required.

I know that the fold flat seats are a major selling point over the GM fullsize for a lot of Expedition owners.

Well, in fairness, the Expy would have coils instead of leafs even if it had a SRA, which would also require a modified rear frame, so you're looking at a distinct Expy variant either way.

I can see nothing wrong with varying the F150 based Expedition/Navigator to have an IRS,

that would be part of necessary derivative work to set The Utilities above the usual competition.

So long as the important parts are shared with F150, i see no problem.

With the current F150 and 2017 F250/F350 sharing bodies and possibly more, maybe the regular Expedition will be more like the F150 with IRS and the Expedition EL will be more like the F250, possibly with a solid axle, and a 6.7L diesel option. I know I'm probably dreaming, but that would be sweet.

With the current F150 and 2017 F250/F350 sharing bodies and possibly more, maybe the regular Expedition will be more like the F150 with IRS and the Expedition EL will be more like the F250, possibly with a solid axle, and a 6.7L diesel option. I know I'm probably dreaming, but that would be sweet.

I don't see them offering different setups for regular and EL models.

Expeditions in general sell at very high ATP's and with as many shared parts as there would be, I'm not sure there would have to be that high of a volume to justify a more F150 based Expedition and Super Duty based Expedition EL. It'll be interesting to see what they do. An aluminum body, 3/4 ton, Expedition EL with a 6.7L diesel (or even the next gen 3.5L EcoBoost) sure would tow my travel trailer very nicely.

Expeditions in general sell at very high ATP's and with as many shared parts as there would be, I'm not sure there would have to be that high of a volume to justify a more F150 based Expedition and Super Duty based Expedition EL. It'll be interesting to see what they do. An aluminum body, 3/4 ton, Expedition EL with a 6.7L diesel (or even the next gen 3.5L EcoBoost) sure would tow my travel trailer very nicely.

I wouldn't expect a 6.7L PowerStroke in the Expy EL, but I would expect the Gen 2 EB, and possibly a smaller diesel (if one makes it to the F150 as has been rumored...again). Either should tow your travel trailer nicely. Once you get one and find out, let me know how it does :) , as I hope to replace my F250 with a new one in a few years, hopefully with an EB, or possibly smaller diesel if available.

Edited by fordmantpw

The sales problem with the Expedition is based on the fact that it is more truck than people realize. I own a 2015 Limited and traded a 2008 F250 for it and could not be more pleased. Most people just want a status symbol that looks utilitarian. They don't tow or haul a lot, but want the appearance that they do. From a performance standpoint, this vehicle can not be beat as a compromise vehicle. It tows and hauls with the best of them (half ton pickups) and can take more people comfortably A to B with a reasonable fuel burn.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If the Expedition will be all new in 2017, wouldn't it be safe to say that would of seen a mule or two by now? If the 2017 Expedition is all new, is there any chance that it will be available before June 2016?

I would expect to see mules running around soon

As for available before June of 2016, that's wishful thinking

If the Expedition will be all new in 2017, wouldn't it be safe to say that would of seen a mule or two by now? If the 2017 Expedition is all new, is there any chance that it will be available before June 2016?

If a F-150 crew cab is running with IRS and some sand bags in the bed would you notice it? :)

I think there are Expedition mules running around, we just don't know it.

Expedition prototypes should be on the road soon.

If I'm Ford, I will be waiting for the 10 speed auto is available to launch the Expedition and Navigator... so the question is really how far along is Ford on powertrain calibration with the new transmission. 2017 Raptor is supposed to be the first 10 speed auto.

2017 Raptor is supposed to be the first 10 speed auto.

Ford has said the '17 Raptor will have the 10 speed, not that it is necessarily first. I feel if the 10 speed is in the '10 Raptor, it will be in the regular F150 as well. If it's ready for the Raptor, it should be ready for the rest of the lineup unless they can't produce them fast enough yet and have to ramp up.

Ford has said the '17 Raptor will have the 10 speed, not that it is necessarily first. I feel if the 10 speed is in the '10 Raptor, it will be in the regular F150 as well. If it's ready for the Raptor, it should be ready for the rest of the lineup unless they can't produce them fast enough yet and have to ramp up.

Maybe the 17 Super Duty will get the 10 speed auto. I'll know for sure on September 24 when I'm at the reveal. ;)

• Like 1

Maybe the 17 Super Duty will get the 10 speed auto. I'll know for sure on September 24 when I'm at the reveal. ;)

Possible, but I don't see the same tranny going in the Super Duty and the F150. Unless, the F250 I keep hoping for actually comes as a true F250 (between F150 and F350) and it comes with the 10 speed along with the Raptor and the F150 to follow later. Hmmm......

Oh, and thanks for rubbing it in that you are going to be there! :)

• Like 1

Possible, but I don't see the same tranny going in the Super Duty and the F150. Unless, the F250 I keep hoping for actually comes as a true F250 (between F150 and F350) and it comes with the 10 speed along with the Raptor and the F150 to follow later. Hmmm......

Oh, and thanks for rubbing it in that you are going to be there! :)

I have a feeling that the Expedition will have more in common with the F150 like and the Expedition EL will have more in common with this:

ucqgzm2w9es9fvjclard.jpg

If that's true, I think the EL will basically be what the Excursion was, except with an all aluminum body and more fuel efficient power trains. At least that is what I am hoping. :)

• Like 1

I have a feeling that the Expedition will have more in common with the F150 ...

If that's true, I think the EL will basically be what the Excursion was, except with an all aluminum body and more fuel efficient power trains.

Both versions of the Expedition will likely borrow a lot more from the F150, including the aluminum body. This also means that the 4 strut, IRS is likely to be dropped in favor of the F150 live axle.

Could be 2017MY, but it also could be 2018MY.

Edited by theoldwizard

What would be the advantage of a new Excursion? Is it just the 6.7L diesel drivetrain and added towing capability?

The diesel and towing would be the advantage. Since the E350 wagon has been discontinued, Ford no longer offers a vehicle that can seat more than six AND tow at least 10,000 pounds. An F250 based EL w/a diesel and even the 3.5EB would fill that void, even if it's a small need.

Both versions of the Expedition will likely borrow a lot more from the F150, including the aluminum body. This also means that the 4 strut, IRS is likely to be dropped in favor of the F150 live axle.

Could be 2017MY, but it also could be 2018MY.

The Expedition has never shared the rear suspension with an F150 before, so I don't know why they would start doing it now. Like I've said before, I'd be shocked if the Expedition didn't have IRS. The EL may get an SRA, but I seriously doubt it will have leaf springs.