Top 7 cars owners are most likely sell after a year

silvrsvt

But the biggest surprise may be the 2014 Dodge Charger at No. 4. I’m just going to assume that represents huge regret after buying the V6 version. Here’s the full list:

1. Buick Regal

2. Chevrolet Sonic

3. BMW X1

4. Dodge Charger

5. Mercedes-Benz C-Class

6. Chevrolet Cruze

7. Nissan Frontier

Wow, three GM products on the list.... that is no coincidence.

The appearance of the Chevrolet Cruze on the list is surprising. It's not a particularly memorable car one way or the other, but people buying that type of vehicle aren't necessarily looking for "memorable" when they buy a vehicle. The Cruze certainly isn't a bad vehicle.

The appearance of the Buick Regal on the list, however, doesn't surprise me. I seriously doubt that people who want a European sedan visit a Buick showroom. Most likely Regal buyers think it's an "old school" Buick - after all, even the name is a familiar one. They quickly discover that it's not their father's Buick, and not terribly reliable, either.

It analyzed 5 million new 2014 model year cars sold between September 2013 and March 2014, then checked back one year later to see what percentage of those cars were sold as used with 10,000 to 15,000 miles on the odometer.

I would assume most rental cars would have more mileage than that. But it's not guaranteed.

Those all seem like rental cars/loaners of late, is that retail purchases? X1 are default BMW dealer loaner/rentals, as are C-Class Benz.

The methodology that iSeeCars.com used for the list seems to accommodate that possibility:

"iSeeCars examined 5 million new 2014 model year cars, of different sizes and price points, sold between September 2013 and March 2014, then checked back one year later to see what percentage of those cars were sold as “used” with 10,000 to 15,000 miles on the odometer."

But why would a rental car company sell a car that was only a year old with less than 20K miles?

Some automakers (GM and Ford among them) operate programs targeted to fleet customers in the daily rental segment that include rebates, predefined depreciation rates, and support services for remarketing. Normally, customers must adhere to specific in-service requirements in order to qualify for the incentives. 6 months - 12 months of operation and 12k to 18k miles upon retiring and remarketing a vehicle are common metrics for rental car firms participating in these programs.

I think there are similar programs for dealerships who acquire vehicles for service loaner fleets.

Edited by aneekr

Have you ever looked at Rental car sales outlets? Many of the cars they're selling are a year old with less than 20k miles.

I guess I haven't. I would have expected them to keep rental cars longer than that - at least 50K.

Have you ever looked at Rental car sales outlets? Many of the cars they're selling are a year old with less than 20k miles.

I thought that rental car companies where getting away from that and keeping cars for at least 2-3 years. That was one big mistake driving down resale values years ago.

Maybe those beemer owners finally got tired of getting laughed at in their $50,000 joke on wheels.

I think you mean "Bimmer" ("Beemer" refers to BMW motorcycles). ;) Anyway, I agree X1 is a joke. It's a great example of why the whole concept of a crossover vehicle - which combines the least favorable aspects of a passenger car with the least favorable aspects of a true SUV - is so silly.

Edited by aneekr