F-250,6.7 MPG

Friend of mine has a 2013 F-250 Super Cab, 6.7, 3.55 rear, bed cover. This guy is meticulous-clean as a whistle,maintenance by the book and its probably never carried anything more than a bag of trash.

He just got back from Fla, a 1550 mile trip (I-95, I-287 across Jersey, back on I-95 to Mass.) He set the trip when he started trip , averaged 63 MPH, was cruising at 80 mph, and got 18 mpg. Just he and his wife, luggage for a three week stay.

Any comments on that MPG?

Friend of mine has a 2013 F-250 Super Cab, 6.7, 3.55 rear, bed cover. This guy is meticulous-clean as a whistle,maintenance by the book and its probably never carried anything more than a bag of trash.

He just got back from Fla, a 1550 mile trip (I-95, I-287 across Jersey, back on I-95 to Mass.) He set the trip when he started trip , averaged 63 MPH, was cruising at 80 mph, and got 18 mpg. Just he and his wife, luggage for a three week stay.

Any comments on that MPG?

Sounds about right. Slow down to cruise at 63 MPH instead of 80 and he'd probably pick up 3-4 MPG. No joke. These trucks are not aerodynamic at all and speed kills MPG! My 6.4L gets 2-3 MPG better at 62 than 72.

• 8 months later...

Bought my 2016 CC 4x4 just after Christmas and finally had a chance to put some miles on it. Took it from So Cal to Las Vegas and made a few side trips - about 560 miles. The computer said 18.1 mpg when I got all the way into Vegas and by the time I got home, it said 18.5. That was driving an almost empty truck (except for fuel). That's with 3.31 rear end, driving between 65 - 75 and using cruise control as much as I could.

I was expecting about 14 to 15, so this is a nice surprise. Gets better mpg's than my FJ Cruiser plus fuel is cheaper.

Were you hand calculating or only going off the display? I see about 17mpg with regen.. if I can go without a regen, I can get between 20 and 21mpg but that regen always tanks my fuel mileage and still net a 17-18mpg average. Towing 13,000lbs I get between 11.1 and 11.5mpg all hand calculated.

Just bought a tuner for it that I'll be loading tomorrow. Everything that I've read (experiences from owner with this particular one) is that the regens have gone from every 350 or so miles to 500-600. This should net some really good fuel mileage gains since one is going anywhere from 50-75% further distance per regen.

• 8 months later...