Redesigned Expedition (2016??) when....

anjen

Having owned Fords (explorer through expedition) from 1992 until now it is really frustrating having being faced with an alternative other than Ford to replace our 2008 Expedition EL. Purchasing a 2015 in my opinion is too close to the 2008 we currently have and is therefore "behind the times" with the current offerings by Fords competition.

Is there any hard "real" idea of when a completely redesigned Expedition will be available for purchase?

2017 Model year will be a new Expedition & Navigator. Looking like it will be after July 2016 before we start production. The new paint & body shops should be done at the end of the year. You have to remember that these 2 vehicles was not part of Fords long term plan. They were supposed to be canned a few years ago, but the sales were to good to can.

2017 Model year will be a new Expedition & Navigator. Looking like it will be after July 2016 before we start production. The new paint & body shops should be done at the end of the year. You have to remember that these 2 vehicles was not part of Fords long term plan. They were supposed to be canned a few years ago, but the sales were to good to can.

You said "we" does that mean you work for Ford and have first hand knowledge, therefore re.atively "reliable" in terms of timeframe. If that is the case you said new paint and body shops by end of the year, does that mean I could expect to purchase on before end of 2016 or early 2017? Just hate to purchase a 2015 and the have re-design come out soon after.

Any more insight would be appreciated.

Edited by anjen

Yes I do work at KTP. There has been no official word on when the switch will be made. We have tons of construction going on for new body, paint and more space being added. The new body and paint will be going in the first quarter of next year. I am hearing the new models will be after July shutdown next year, but this could change. I'm also not sure if they want to launch a new Super Duty, Expedition & Navigator at the same time. We do build all 3 of them.

Makes sense! I have a 2015 Expedition and could not be happier with the choice. The EcoBoost engine was the deciding factor to not wait. I do not believe you will achieve astronomical fuel savings with the aluminum version over the current model. This was evidenced with the release of the F150. If you want other amenities not offered now, then lease as mentioned before. This is a good truck with a lot of practical value for modern day use.

Yes, but it was a 1999 model, so that would not be a good comparison. Since then I have owned 2 F250 Super Duty's. This truck will do everything that the previous vehicle accomplished, but more efficiently. I drove many variants of the 5.4l V8 in pick ups and in Expeditions. I found it to be anemic and rather dull, but very reliable. I believe the Ecoboost is the most important addition, as I stated previously, but if you want the next generation with its amenities, then wait.

• 1 month later...

Isn't that still the current body style? Any updates on redesign ETA

I'm assuming the body change will happen next year. They are in the process of updating the plant for next year Super Duty change. My guess will be after the Super Duty we will launch the new Expedition & Navigator.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The only thing I have heard is a couple of very "generic" statements. It is highly likely that it will be an all aluminum body, like the F150. This may NOT make many Expedition owners happy, because of all the aluminum corrosion/paint bubbling issues on Expedition/Navigator hoods and rear hatches which are already aluminum ! (I am betting the current hood and hatch are outsourced because in classic paint issues, the root cause is improper preparation.)

Second, there will be a concerted effort to use as much of the current F150 underpinnings as possible. This will be very difficult with the current F150 using a solid rear axle and the Expedition/Navigator using an independent rear suspension. Not impossible, but it likely will require some changes in the current frame to accommodate different mounting points.