New apprentices???

nmsford

Not sure if this is the problem, but I know that each site can refuse to let production people go to apprenticeship program due to staffing deficiencies which would hinder the production or goals of the plant in question.

Right now we have too many production people due to dept closing. We just sent 40 to Sterling and rumored more will go. I've been hearing that IUAW is holding the apprentices up for some reason

Not sure if this is the problem, but I know that each site can refuse to let production people go to apprenticeship program due to staffing deficiencies which would hinder the production or goals of the plant in question.

I thought they had 30 days to find a replacement for the person going to trade. After that they had to be released.

They want to buy-out skill trades and hire tier two replacements off the street. They really would like to get rid of skill trades all together and sub out the work to contractors.

If they are ready to "buy me out"............. I'm ready to go..............!! No buy-outs out there now..........

I thought they had 30 days to find a replacement for the person going to trade. After that they had to be released.

I am not really sure how it works. I know there were people hired into production(after I passed test) and then took the trades test 2 yrs. after I passed it and were placed into trades before I was. In the building I did production, 2 guys(with union affiliations) got placed into trades. The rest of us had to wait almost 4 yrs. to get into the apprenticeship program while newer hires in different plants were placed before us. The only thing that makes sense is that our building "locked" us out. After that 4 yrs. of waiting, all of us(10 -15)got placed within 6 months. Again, not sure if that was the reason, but being locked out by our building management is only thing that makes sense.

Edited by RougeWelder

I am not really sure how it works. I know there were people hired into production(after I passed test) and then took the trades test 2 yrs. after I passed it and were placed into trades before I was. In the building I did production, 2 guys(with union affiliations) got placed into trades. The rest of us had to wait almost 4 yrs. to get into the apprenticeship program while newer hires in different plants were placed before us. The only thing that makes sense is that our building "locked" us out. After that 4 yrs. of waiting, all of us(10 -15)got placed within 6 months. Again, not sure if that was the reason, but being locked out by our building management is only thing that makes sense.

I've been on the wait list for 14 years. I took the test in 2001 and shortly after that they stopped bringing on apprentices. They just started bringing on apprentices again a couple years ago. And now there is a glimmer of Hope, I heard we're supposed to bring on a group pretty soon.

Union & or company affiliations most definitely help they'll bypass the guy w/o those all nt n day!! Sterlings trades r all very familiar last names as I'm sure it's the same way across other plants

I hear Sterling might be planning to bring on some new apprentices also.

swine77

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:53 AM

They want to buy-out skill trades and hire tier two replacements off the street. They really would like to get rid of skill trades all together and sub out the work to contractors.

Not sure where you get your info from.

The tier 2 electricians make the same as tier 1 electricians. Ford attempted to hire qualified, experienced industrial electricians off the street in 2012 but there were very few available. GM & Chrysler & tier one suppliers had hired most of them the year before. Why buyout electricians when it cost over $100,000 to train a new one?

Ford would like to outsource their building maintenance work but as of yet the UAW has resisted this move.

Edited by Dayshift

The tier 2 electricians make the same as tier 1 electricians. Ford attempted to hire qualified, experienced industrial electricians off the street in 2012 but there were very few available. GM & Chrysler & tier one suppliers had hired most of them the year before. Why buyout electricians when it cost over $100,000 to train a new one?

Ford would like to outsource their building maintenance work but as of yet the UAW has resisted this move.

Ok that's all great information. But not once in this discussion did I ever comment on the pay rate of trades or buyouts????? Not sure what you're reading but it's not my comments!!

Sorry nmsford I copied wrong post.

Edited by Dayshift

It's cheaper to hire off the street

Cheaper than what?

There is no advantage to giving buyouts to senior electricians then have to train new ones or hire new one off the street. New hire electricians make exactly the same base pay as legacy electricians.

It’s much cheaper to hire a journeyman off the street, if you can find them, than to spend 4 years and $100,000 training an apprentice. Ford is always looking for experienced & qualified industrial electricians.

• 2 months later...

Anyone know what's going on with the big groups of apprentices that are supposed to be starting at Van dyke and Sterling??? I thought everything was all set to begin and today I heard IUAW put everything on hold because someones buddy didn't make the apprentiship. Seems like a pretty shitty thing to do, put almost 50 apprentices on hold just because one person is trying to use her/his family member/friend at IUAW to get her into trades.....

Anyone know what's going on with the big groups of apprentices that are supposed to be starting at Van dyke and Sterling??? I thought everything was all set to begin and today I heard IUAW put everything on hold because someones buddy didn't make the apprentiship. Seems like a pretty shitty thing to do, put almost 50 apprentices on hold just because one person is trying to use her/his family member/friend at IUAW to get her into trades.....

maybe cause ur on a need to know basis and u dont need to know ?????!!!!!!!

I really don't think it works that way now. It is possible, but highly unlikely. Twenty years ago, yes, but now, I doubt it. There are alot of reasons that could delay apprentices. If you took/passed the trades test, hang in there. Don't be in a rush to accept any trade. Hold out for the one you want. Eventually, you will be called.

I really don't think it works that way now. It is possible, but highly unlikely. Twenty years ago, yes, but now, I doubt it. There are alot of reasons that could delay apprentices. If you took/passed the trades test, hang in there. Don't be in a rush to accept any trade. Hold out for the one you want. Eventually, you will be called.

All of us on the wait list have been on it over 14 years. Been waiting a very long time. This is the second time IUAW has held up this same group from starting. Half of us should have went on almost a year ago

Ford to add 200 apprentices

Ford has run an apprentice program with the UAW since 1941. Stacey Allerton, director of Ford’s U.S. labor affairs, said the Dearborn-based automaker plans to continue the program, as its assembly plants have become more technical with automation and robots. Most apprentices are studying to be electricians who would work with sophisticated equipment. Some get advanced training related to programming equipment.

Ford plans to add 200 or so apprentices by the end of the year, Allerton said.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2015/05/18/uaw-seeks-grow-skilled-trades-apprentice-programs/27566301/

Seems they plan on putting over 200 apprentices on by the end of 2015. Hope this helps

Edited by tooltime