New apprentices???

nmsford

Ford said they're planning to bring on up to 600 new apprentices before the end of the year. Any of the plants out there been hiring a lot of apprentices, or any at all lately???

Low seniority skilled trades at MAP are possibly getting laid off if there's no place for them at other plants so I don't understand this..

Low seniority skilled trades at MAP are possibly getting laid off if there's no place for them at other plants so I don't understand this..

I have worked many locations in trades over the years and know trades in just about every location in south east Michigan. With the windfall of product and infrastructure investment bargained by the UAW in the 2011 agreement many locations continue to benefit from trades needs. Just to name a few the Rooge and LTP are extremely short of trades form this negotiated job security investment. Im sure if any trade is laid off in south east Michigan, there should be an opening for them as well as new apprentices.

Edited by tooltime

Livonia recently hired electricians off the street. And rehired pipe fitters that took a tool buyout a few years ago. All the while people sit on the apprenticeship list waiting to be called up since the year 2000. So they havent been anticipating shit, because they knew the work was coming and didnt have anyone ready. Now they need people so they hire off the street.

Edited by 182

Livonia recently hired electricians off the street. And rehired pipe fitters that took a tool buyout a few years ago. All the while people sit on the apprenticeship list waiting to be called up since the year 2000. So they havent been anticipating shit, because they knew the work was coming and didnt have anyone ready. Now they need people so they hire off the street.

That is bullshit. Ford knows damn well when they'll need apprentices to replace retiring journeymen but they stall and stall til finally it's too late and say they gotta hire off the street. Meanwhile the UAW can't or won't do shit about it. I have been sitting on the wait list for almost 15 years and now when my plant should be bringing on apprentices they're not. And same thing will probably happen again, they'll stall so long that they'll have to hire off the street.

That is bullshit. Ford knows damn well when they'll need apprentices to replace retiring journeymen but they stall and stall til finally it's too late and say they gotta hire off the street. Meanwhile the UAW can't or won't do shit about it. I have been sitting on the wait list for almost 15 years and now when my plant should be bringing on apprentices they're not. And same thing will probably happen again, they'll stall so long that they'll have to hire off the street.

I know in 2010 - 2011 time frame hundreds of trades were reduced and working in production and no apprentices due to the economic meltdown.

The UAW got all of the trades back to work AND new 400 apprentices now and by the end of the year will have a total of 600 apprentices is an awesome feat in a short amount of time.

Seems you are 400 apprentices closer and may get an opportunity with the additional 200 going on before the end of the year. Good luck to you brother or sister.

Edited by tooltime
  • Like 1

Rumor is that Stamping and DDMP on the Rouge site are going to full alternative schedules. Only part of the buildings are now. They could possibly be going there.

Rouge re-skilled diemakers and pipefitters as electricians a few years ago. And hiring off the street too. We've always had a need for tradespeople.

They could add alotta trades at sterling if they went AWS with trades like they did with production we've added prbly a good 400 or more here on acct of AWS

I doubt it. They took the total number of trades at MAP on 3 shifts and just divided them into 4 crews. I think they added like 11 heads total at the 3 areas paint, final, and facilities. But now there cutting back I'm sure they want to cut 25%.

I have worked many locations in trades over the years and know trades in just about every location in south east Michigan. With the windfall of product and infrastructure investment bargained by the UAW in the 2011 agreement many locations continue to benefit from trades needs. Just to name a few the Rooge and LTP are extremely short of trades form this negotiated job security investment. Im sure if any trade is laid off in south east Michigan, there should be an opening for them as well as new apprentices.

yea, just like at michigan assembly, loosing an entire shift. trades needs??? whats that. hypocrite

I know in 2010 - 2011 time frame hundreds of trades were reduced and working in production and no apprentices due to the economic meltdown.

The UAW got all of the trades back to work AND new 400 apprentices now and by the end of the year will have a total of 600 apprentices is an awesome feat in a short amount of time.

Seems you are 400 apprentices closer and may get an opportunity with the additional 200 going on before the end of the year. Good luck to you brother or sister.

could tooltime do a breakdown as to what locations these 400 apprentices are located, just wondering.

Livonia put on 5 elec and 2 Toolmakers last fall. Should be 35 more apprentices over the next year

or so and we have to hire off the street..we will add 200 trades over the next 3 years

The status of MAPs trades is new...we will see how that works. But with all the work we have here

we know we will get an influx of "Legacy" employees..skilled and unskilled.

Livonia put on 5 elec and 2 Toolmakers last fall. Should be 35 more apprentices over the next year

or so and we have to hire off the street..we will add 200 trades over the next 3 years

The status of MAPs trades is new...we will see how that works. But with all the work we have here

we know we will get an influx of "Legacy" employees..skilled and unskilled.

You said in your MAP post that Livonia won't need anyone (unskilled) until the beginning of next year?

nmsford, YOU NEED to find out who the other wait list candidates are, get together, and FORCE the issue. Something, somewhere, is REEKING to high heaven. Someone is holding this up, and it's not the company, and it's not coming from inside these walls.

nmsford, YOU NEED to find out who the other wait list candidates are, get together, and FORCE the issue. Something, somewhere, is REEKING to high heaven. Someone is holding this up, and it's not the company, and it's not coming from inside these walls.

I've heard that same rumor quite a bit from quite a few guys. But can't fight IUAW. They'll do whatever the fuck they want. If they're holding us up for someones friend or kid there ain't shit we can do. Them pricks will screw everyone just to help their own people out, they don't give a god damn about what's good for any local.

Did not mean to rile you up nmsford. I am just concerned that an injustice is being done to some brothers and sisters. From my end none of it makes sense. Instead of ILO'ing 40 people, maybe it would 30 or less, depending on the home plant of the wait list candidate. There is not a BETTER time than now to put on apprentices that would be in the "building" trades. With the demo and refurbishment project going on, Elec, P/F,M/W apprentices would learn some things that don't happen very often. Anyways, good luck to you. I hope this issue is resolved at some point and the right things are done, and not some "shady" shit from downtown. Peace out....

Did not mean to rile you up nmsford. I am just concerned that an injustice is being done to some brothers and sisters. From my end none of it makes sense. Instead of ILO'ing 40 people, maybe it would 30 or less, depending on the home plant of the wait list candidate. There is not a BETTER time than now to put on apprentices that would be in the "building" trades. With the demo and refurbishment project going on, Elec, P/F,M/W apprentices would learn some things that don't happen very often. Anyways, good luck to you. I hope this issue is resolved at some point and the right things are done, and not some "shady" shit from downtown. Peace out....

I agree with you 100%. But international has a stick up their ass and they'll hold us up til they get what they want.

The new line isnt supposed to be up and running until Jan-Feb of next year.

They dont have exact numbers of what they need and when they need them..but probably fall or late fall.

you all know how they do things.

One day they will wake up and realize they need 200 people yesterday...then start posting like crazy.

We we hoping to hire new guys...hopefully from our own members...but with MAP layoff..throws a wrench in that plan. We already were expecting 200-500 from Sterling..Romeo..and Rawsonville..

The new line isnt supposed to be up and running until Jan-Feb of next year.

They dont have exact numbers of what they need and when they need them..but probably fall or late fall.

you all know how they do things.

One day they will wake up and realize they need 200 people yesterday...then start posting like crazy.

We we hoping to hire new guys...hopefully from our own members...but with MAP layoff..throws a wrench in that plan. We already were expecting 200-500 from Sterling..Romeo..and Rawsonville..

Are u talking about expecting 200-500 trades or production??