Ford Police Interceptor at the 100,000 (build) mark...

Good to see Ford pricing the PIU to maximize sales, eventually, there may be no need for PI sedan.

eh, i don't see them canning PI sedan any time soon. Smaller communities that have no need for utilities still need them, and in a lot of cases the Charger PI doesn't fit their needs either in the northern states where AWD is a must.

...The debate over Taurus sedan production is brewing on other forums.

I can see Utilities still being produced completely in the USA, but since large sedan production is no longer the bread and butter of the assembly line, it is quite feasible to bring it in from their Chinese plant as a "near finished" product and do final assembly here in the USA.

Only see a few Caprices in service, and mostly IL Highway patrol. Some suburbs have one or two, but mainly Explorers as new.

What will GM do when their AUS plant closes? Some say US built Caprice, but I will only believe it when it is 100% confirmed.

I prefer to call them Taurus/Explorer PI's, ;-)

"PIU" sounds ... you know

Edited by 630land

Some of the GMI crowd are crying over GM ceding so many PV sales to Ford which now has 55% of that market.

I call that smart and listening to your customers...

Let's not forget 75% of annual police sales were Ford C/Vs 4-5 years ago. Charger made gains in sedan ppv sales and Tahoe are close in 2nd with utilitys.

Dunwoody GA a small city in what many consider Atlanta that is suburban to urban recently switched their fleet of Crown Vics to Chevy Tahoes. Talk about over kill.

No dirt roads to cover, but some high rise office parks, strip mall parking lots and cul-de-sacs need this size and truck like capabilities :doh: .

Thankfully they are the only police force in the area that bought these. City of Atlanta and the MARTA transit agency, and Brookhaven another small city next to Atlanta proper are using the PI sedans. While Chamblee uses the PI/explorer exclusively. Some other local police forces are using the GM product from Australia. GA state patrol is the only force in the area I see in Chargers.

But according to Panther fans, "Police ONLY want BOF sedans!"?

Explorer PI has more room and better MPG than the old Vics. [i think]

Police fleet managers wanted a vehicle that didn't cost an arm and leg to fuel, maintain and repair.

How is that engine for extended idling?

Like any other Ecoboost used in police vehicles, it's probably 25% better on fuel when idling than the 3.5 V6.

I was thinking the one engine, a 2.7 EB could replace both 3.5 NA and 3.5 EB

But according to Panther fans, "Police ONLY want BOF sedans!"?

No one ever said that. Police choose from what's available on the market just like the rest of us. There is something to be said for rwd/fwd/awd during emergency maneuvering but that's only one consideration when choosing a fleet. Cleary the Crown Vic was popular when it was available. Now that it's gone we're seeing a lot more diversification among departments. Nobody is making a clear "winner" anymore.

Closing down Panther and BOF Explorer production and switching customers to other products saved Ford a ton of money.

Even with reduced PI sales, Ford is miles ahead with sales of D3 Explorer and the saving from not having two other plants.

As Borg pointed out on another board, until Explorer nothing on D3 succeeded. I'm glad Ford finally developed a successful product on the platform, although the Flex is my favorite D3 product. .

Succeeded?

Pre-Mulally, Ford did its best to Keep Fivehundred and Freestyle away from Taurus / Crown Victoria and BOF Explorer sales.

That serious product overlap in Ford and Mercury brands sort of trapped D3 for a few years, Ford unsure what to do with them.

If anything, Mulally showed Ford just how much money could be saved by closing down Panther and BOF Explorer plants

and switching those customers to elevated D3 Explorer & Taurus. Mind you, many stalwarts took plenty of convincing...

Edited by jpd80

No one ever said that. Police choose from what's available on the market just like the rest of us. There is something to be said for rwd/fwd/awd during emergency maneuvering but that's only one consideration when choosing a fleet. Cleary the Crown Vic was popular when it was available. Now that it's gone we're seeing a lot more diversification among departments. Nobody is making a clear "winner" anymore.

The "Panther Mafia" always said that....as for nobody making a clear "winner" anymore, Ford owning 55% of the police car market with a new product that is a 180 degree departure from their previous entry says otherwise.....when Ford discontinued Crown Victoria PI and rolled out the PI sedan and PI utility, everybody howled that Ford gave the police vehicle market to Chevrolet and Dodge....yes, both competitors have sold some product that rates ok, but Fords' ability to retain over 1/2 of the police vehicle market with their D3 based offerings is proof that Ford indeed has a "winner" and they will continue to command that market as long as they design the vehicles the law enforcement desires at price points that make the accountants happy as well.

Edited by twintornados