Bought a newer Edge: Have some questions

gltucker

Well, this my second Ford I've owned and I like it a lot. I picked up a 2011 Ford Edge Limited AWD with everything but telepathy on it from a option perspective and 27k miles. I say that because I'm going from a 1999 Dodge Ram Sport 4x4. It was time get something that fits my lifestyle now. Anyways I have a couple of questions:

1. The owner I purchased it had purchased a second factory key fob, it doesn't have the hidden key in it. How do I get a key cut for that fob and how much does that usually run?

2. I don't have the code for the key pad on the door. I did do some googling and did find a sticker under the dash on the fuse box. It had 5 numbers and a letter. I tried to reset it on the touch screen. No dice. Am I missing something there? Thoughts?

2a. Speaking of key pads, I see this being convient when I do a tubing trip down a river this summer and want to leave all electronics in the vehicle. Now will the key fob in the car create a open environment for thieves? Or just leave the key fob at home?

3. If I am able to make entry into the vehicle does the key fob play any role in starting the vehicle? I have push button.

4. I am a avid hunter. Is there any troubles with putting a hitch basket in the reciever to put my game in it from a tongue weight perspective.

5. I really loved my husky liner floor mats, is their vendor that gives the best deal and what's every use to contain filth from out door activities?

1. Any Ford dealer can get you a key. I think they are <$50. Most locksmiths can as well, though you might need to come up with a blank for them to cut.

2. They stopped putting door codes on BCM's years ago. Its stored in the module and can be easily accessed with an IDS scan tool.

2a & 3. The fob sends the signal to the RFA to start the vehicle. It must be present to start.

4. As long as it is not heavier than the rated hitch tongue weight. Off the top of my head I cant remember what that number is.

5. I like Weathertech myself, but to each his own. If you like the huskys, go with them.

I'm also kind of nervous. I rarely used 4WD, I usely went don't farm road two tracks and drove through snow to get to work. Everyone says this is great for that kind of thing. 12 mpg 300 miles a week was getting harder to justify as it started to become a money pit.

So it sounds like locking my keys in the car is the dumbest thing I could do. What would be a good solution for that sceniros?

I'm also kind of nervous. I rarely used 4WD, I usely went don't farm road two tracks and drove through snow to get to work. Everyone says this is great for that kind of thing. 12 mpg 300 miles a week was getting harder to justify as it started to become a money pit.

So it sounds like locking my keys in the car is the dumbest thing I could do. What would be a good solution for that sceniros?

Your going to love the Edge, coming off a lumber wagon like you had. My '07' was AWD and it went through some pretty bad conditions and handled them very well. I just hope the new one performs just as well. If it ever gets here.

Edited by Xbar

I think it has the class III. I'll have to check out the window sticker at home. I'm a SUV nerd too. I have a old dodge ramcharger being restored too. It's taking some time to get used to it being so nice and not having to get on it to move. I meant stupid in reference to putting a key in the Edge and it not working or allowing it to be pillage. I have Pirelli STR's on it too. I don't off-road at all. Mainly snowy roads and the once a year grassy farm road to the hunting shack. I like the 19 gallon tank vs my 32 gallon.

Well I do have a factory class II setup. I show on the Ford website a tongue weight of 350 lbs and 3500 lbs.Thats more then enough for me. class III is for flex's. Did I get all the upgraded gizmos to go with it?

It probably has a 1.25" receiver instead of a 2" so take that into account with accessories. You should have trailer pre-wiring and a tranny cooler at least.

Well I do have a factory class II setup. I show on the Ford website a tongue weight of 350 lbs and 3500 lbs.Thats more then enough for me. class III is for flex's. Did I get all the upgraded gizmos to go with it?

My concern with the Class II hitch and a hitch basket is not the static "tongue" weight, it is the long tern continuous flexing of the hitch an the part of the unibody that it attaches to.