John Force

bifs66

I see where John Force has won the "Funny Car" class again; this time under GM sponsorship. I had to wonder if he is still using the engine (Ford 500) that was developed along with Ford as an alternative to the "standard" Hemi-derived power. That would make for an interesting combination.

I see where John Force has won the "Funny Car" class again; this time under GM sponsorship. I had to wonder if he is still using the engine (Ford 500) that was developed along with Ford as an alternative to the "standard" Hemi-derived power. That would make for an interesting combination.

No clue and always wondered about whathe used as power-please elaborate-what was a "Ford 500"? Exclusive block similar to the Nascar motor with no connection to anything ever in production??

I think NHRA has some very restrictive design limitations on Funny car and Top Fuel engines. It is almost a spec engine. However, I believe Ford and Force did what they could within those parameters to differentiate the Ford from the standard Hemi design. You can Google " NHRA Ford 500" and derive some pictures and info. If Force abandoned the Ford engine with the switch to GM, I wonder if the engine has any future. I remember that A.J. Foyt gained the rights to the Ford DOHC Indy engine and renamed it after himself. Perhaps Force could do the same.

I think NHRA has some very restrictive design limitations on Funny car and Top Fuel engines. It is almost a spec engine. However, I believe Ford and Force did what they could within those parameters to differentiate the Ford from the standard Hemi design. You can Google " NHRA Ford 500" and derive some pictures and info. If Force abandoned the Ford engine with the switch to GM, I wonder if the engine has any future. I remember that A.J. Foyt gained the rights to the Ford DOHC Indy engine and renamed it after himself. Perhaps Force could do the same.

He already has. The engine is designated as JFR500.