Focus ST Diesel Wagon

OHV 16V

absolutely, just trying to give insight as to why wagons aren't in the USA arsenal....the times they treied sales numbers were dismal...and then along came CUVs, which IMO are just taller wagons...and something clicked.....fickle for sure....

Is your objective to somehow convince those that like wagons that they should not like wagons because of the business case?

This seems to be the theme here.

Quite an interesting case study.

No, I think you're missing the point. Its because the people that like wagons are such a small number compared to those that don't want one that it makes for a terrible business case, and for a terrible ROI. Just look at Cadillac for an example of why you shouldn't build cars that people don't want. They sit around for months on end and wind up losing money just to get rid of them.

Go ahead and like wagons all you want, just don't be upset that Ford isn't in the business of losing money.

• Like 1

Lincoln...no, just realize why they aren't here and move on...a few peoples wish list wont change reality.....hell, I want a smaller pickup with some offroad chops....I don't think THAT will happen either...

Edited by Deanh

It's really tragic, to me, that "wagon" is such a profane word to the American car-buying public.

I still scoff at people getting their "rugged appearance packs" on vehicles that will see, at worst, a tar-stripped road.

Poseur marketing at its finest.

were it not for so many falling in love with "activity vehicles" that are wholly unlikely to do anything that an embattled "wagon" couldn't do as well, or better, while lugging around less weight.

The only time I respond to wagon posts is when Zan says crap like this. It's the classic "people should buy what I think they should buy" argument. He thinks he knows why people buy utilities and while that is probably true for a few buyers the vast majority are not like that at all.

Is your objective to somehow convince those that like wagons that they should not like wagons because of the business case?

This seems to be the theme here.

Quite an interesting case study.

Why are so many people here incapable of following the simplest logical argument?

Go ahead and like wagons all you want, just don't be upset that Ford isn't in the business of losing money.

Please go through this thread and show me that I'm upset that Ford isn't offering wagons.

I know why Ford doesn't offer wagons. What is happening here is that there are "some" people who absolutely have to have their opinion be the one that is above everyone else.

I've seen it time and time again.

• Like 1

Please go through this thread and show me that I'm upset that Ford isn't offering wagons.

I know why Ford doesn't offer wagons.

I'm not talking about you specifically in that instance, I'm generalizing on that point.

My point to you was that those who you are arguing with aren't trying to make you hate wagons, but to explain to the rest of the wagon fan club why they aren't likely to get wagons again despite their love for them. Nobody here is trying to get anyone to reverse their likes and dislikes, you're just reading into it that way.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

No, I think you're missing the point. Its because the people that like wagons are such a small number compared to those that don't want one that it makes for a terrible business case, and for a terrible ROI. Just look at Cadillac for an example of why you shouldn't build cars that people don't want. They sit around for months on end and wind up losing money just to get rid of them.

I'm not talking about you specifically in that instance, I'm generalizing on that point.

Unfortunately, the "No, I think you're missing the point" posted in post #34, in reply to me seems to say something else.

truth be said , I can immediately think of two thread subjects that always seem in incur the same semi hostile responses....Wagons and small diesel drivetrains in sedans...both fueled by the "Why cant we get them here mentality...".....understand the passion, but sentiment shouldn't over-ride common sense business decisions by manufacturers. And NO ONE can overly criticize Fords decisions of late....