AMP Powersteps

Who has them and what are your feelings, are they worth the money? They sure have the cool factor and where I live and hunt I like the idea of not ripping off a set of running boards. I see them all the time along the trails and I've refused to put a set on my Jeep but I have to have them on the truck. Any issue with snow and ice build up not allowing them to function?

I'm also open to other running board suggestions.

I didn't have them on the Super Duty 4X4 we used to own, but we do on our F-150. They are well worth the money as my wife is short, it is a big step up, and the Ford step bars we could have ordered are not positioned for ease of entry or exit--at least they are on the F-150. I live in the Phoenix area and have not driven in snow. The steps tuck right under the rocker panels maybe taking an inch or so away from clearance. If you're worried about them hitting ground when you open a door in real rough terrain, the steps can be deactivated by pulling the fuse before you head off-road. I looked at it as I could have spent $700 on the useless Ford step bars or $1,100 on the Amp Powersteps. We've had them for almost six years now with zero issues. Basically, for me it's happy wife, happy life.

Yes, the hardest part (for me) was lining up the steps over their mounting points and threading the bolts in from below I was lying on my back and it was right in front of my face, my old eyes were having difficulty focusing. Everything else was a snap…look up the directions on their website and see for yourself.

Thanks guys, I have looked at the instructions and it's well within my skill set. I see they are now offering a "plug and play" option. I'm going to have to see what thats all about.

Is the bottom surface smooth? i was thinking of adding some of this http://www.mossyoakgraphics.com/catalog/product/view/id/934/s/rocker-panel-kit/to them is there were no obtrusive mounting points.

Or maybe theres not enough of the bottom showing when they are retracted to be able to see the camo

The bottom surface has several lengthwise extruded channels/raised ribs for stiffening and the top surface is extremely non-skid. When they're retracted, you only see the edge of the step which blends into the shadow under the cab. The steps can also can be ordered with a stainless steel trim piece on the edge like on the Platinums if you want to call attention to them.

Has anyone ever thought about the idea of modifying a set of the power running boards off of an Expedition to mount on an F350? I have them on our 2011 Expy Limited and really like them. They would not be a good idea in a severe winter area where you have a lot of snow and ice buildup or for that matter in an area where it gets extremely cold as in Alaska but they work great here in Washington.

After reading the posting about the AMP steps I really like them. Now the dilemma is what the heck will I do with my OEM steps. When I researched the AMP steps it appears they are exactly like the ones on my 2011 Expedition Limited. I called my parts department about this and he told me Ford had outsourced the steps as a factory option. So then I called AMP and asked if they were the source for Ford and they are not. After a little more research I have learned the only other manufacturer of this style of step is Bestop. Their website is BestopPowerboard.com. So at least we would have a choice of manufactures to choose from. Has anyone purchased and installed a set of these yet and if so how do they compare to AMP?