Jalopnik Posted the Continental Concept

When the Ecoboost engines were announced they were originally called TwinForce. I thought it was an excellent name. I wish Lincoln had kept the name for itself no matter how much the engine is borrowed from the Ecoboost. Maybe there is still time before this car is released.

Edited by LincolnV

Well, comments like that seem to point to it being FWD based.

----(

Even that's not set in stone according to some insiders, also Lincoln not even giving out details like engines, engine outputs and drivetrain layout don't help final configuration confirmation either .

IMO this needs to be rwd/awd .

Doesn't NEED to be RWD. It will work just fine with full time AWD using the new AWD system.

I don't think CD6 is ready yet even if they wanted to use it and they can't wait due to the need to get this into China asap.

No, not the new AWD system. A derivative yes, but keep the full performance system in performance cars.

This is a very nice looking car, especially for one with FWD proportions. I also applaud not using the split wing grill. I would like to see a little less droop in the rear fender lines and maybe the trunk lid. In the sculpturing on the hood, I'd like to see about a third to half the amount of physical relief in the details. This would give it a little cleaner design. In a Continental, less-pronounced styling features is usually better looking. They did do restraint well with this car, except for the hood and the rear fender line a little. I think the production car also needs to use the corporate logo in either the grill mesh or the headlight detailing. Doing it in both seems too busy and contrived.

I was starting to worry that Lincon was heading down the "me-too road" with BMW, Hyundai, and others with excessive creasing, flame surfacing, and endless switching between concave and convex surfaces. The MKC and MKX both went partially down this path, to my eyes. The "Car and Driver" MKS concept, which was reportedly rendered from insider sketches, showed the trend increasing. I bet they feel a little sheepish today as they missed the mark by the width of a continent. The real concept shows an overall good balance between contemporary trends and classic Lincoln and luxury car styling.

I really like the interior as luxury cars should have more classic looking cabins than mass produced models. If Lincoln can execute quality, packaging, and pricing successfully, the XTS is toast and Lexus might actually find themselves losing some hard to conquer customers.

When the Ecoboost engines were announced they were originally called TwinForce. I thought it was an excellent name. I wish Lincoln had kept the name for itself no matter how much the engine is borrowed from the Ecoboost. Maybe there is still time before this car is released.

That's an interesting idea - TwinForce sounds to performance oriented and I suppose that's in part why Ford didn't want it. Rather, they wanted something that had an enviro ring to it.

"If you build it, they will come!" But it has to be just as it is! Anything less, and they're done!

You're looking at the finished product.

That's an interesting idea - TwinForce sounds to performance oriented and I suppose that's in part why Ford didn't want it. Rather, they wanted something that had an enviro ring to it.

You're looking at the finished product.

TwinForce wasn't used also because not every EB engine has twin turbos.

Huh? Doesn't make sense to use it in a $30K focus but not a $60K flagship sedan.

Sure it does. You want your big flagship sedan to drive like a mega-refined vehicle right? By all accounts it sounds to me like the performance AWD drivetrain as it stands in its current form is a pretty raw system meant to be thrown around beat to hell. You can take that system and put it in a large sedan, sure but why stop there? You can make it even better, fit for a flagship luxury sedan without neutering the performance aspect

From the side view of the picture it looks like a pretty short overhang in front if it is FWD based, but I believe if it were RWD THAT would have been the main story line "Lincoln goes back to RWD luxury", so having them being quiet on that details, tells me it'l be FWD biased platform, although i'm expecting full time AWD in the least...

color me impressed.....hopefully the production car doesn't deviate too much...also, the only oddity being the grille "addendum"....but that may be where the Licence plate resides?.....and diggen the lights of a multitude of Lincoln logos/ symbols....

Edited by Deanh

I agree, thats a bit too over the top, but so are some of the interior details. And supposedly "lighting" is in. When I redid my house I made sure every cabinet, under cabinet, kickboard, under soffit had LED lighting strips that can change color, and it doesnt matter how much the Silestone countertops cost, doesnt matter what materials the cabinets are, ALL people compliment is the damn lights. Once I hit the remote and they change colors, people think its orgasmic. Forget the fact my garage has shower heads in the ceiling so I can wash the cars, forget the blowers to air dry, ALL they care is the damn lights around all the cabinets in there that they go home thinking about doing.

Sure it does. You want your big flagship sedan to drive like a mega-refined vehicle right? By all accounts it sounds to me like the performance AWD drivetrain as it stands in its current form is a pretty raw system meant to be thrown around beat to hell. You can take that system and put it in a large sedan, sure but why stop there? You can make it even better, fit for a flagship luxury sedan without neutering the performance aspect

Performance AWD simply allows more torque to go to the rear for longer duration and the ability to direct torque left and right. Lincoln can tune it to match any vehicle's performance and/or luxury characteristics. It would also be combined with Lincoln Ride Control. Not using it would be a mistake.

Performance AWD simply allows more torque to go to the rear for longer duration and the ability to direct torque left and right. Lincoln can tune it to match any vehicle's performance and/or luxury characteristics. It would also be combined with Lincoln Ride Control. Not using it would be a mistake.

That's what I was saying, tune it to fit the car, but I still don't think using the exact same setup is necessarily a good thing here. At the very least, distance themselves from the performance division and give it a different name. Save the performance names for a future red label trim or a possible lincstang.

I agree, thats a bit too over the top, but so are some of the interior details. And supposedly "lighting" is in. When I redid my house I made sure every cabinet, under cabinet, kickboard, under soffit had LED lighting strips that can change color, and it doesnt matter how much the Silestone countertops cost, doesnt matter what materials the cabinets are, ALL people compliment is the damn lights. Once I hit the remote and they change colors, people think its orgasmic. Forget the fact my garage has shower heads in the ceiling so I can wash the cars, forget the blowers to air dry, ALL they care is the damn lights around all the cabinets in there that they go home thinking about doing.

You're in Florida, right? I feel like I need to see your house. I promise to appreciate ALL the details.

• Like 1

Thank goodness they are dropping the nondescript and generic MKS model letters. The best car Ford builds should be called a Lincoln Continental. Now work on giving the rest of your line real names and identities when you replace the models. Using alpha-numeric naming schemes just because other luxury brands do it is a mistake. Lincoln will never get anywhere just copying.

I know a name alone doesn't sell a car, but when you have a name as distinct as Continental it's silly to give your cars generic names that are confusing and sound the same. I don't think I'm alone when I hope this is the beginning of the end to all the MKConfusion models.

Edited by 2005Explorer
  • Like 2

Shit you need to post some pictures of your garage.....kitchen sounds nice but man anyone that has shower heads in the garage I would like to see!!!

As far at the new Continental goes......WOW....I am really blown away.

And take a look around-it is all over the place on various sites that are not even necessary car sites and getting huge positive reaction. Nobody would give a rats ass if it was the new MKS-but call it a Continental and it has instant credibility.

I have never been a fan of the split wing grill and glad they ditched it. It always looked forced or something onto the vehicle.....like the designers were putting these vehicles together and then having to integrate the friggin grill. It was so uninspiring it bored me to sleep.

I'm also glad they embraced the use of chrome as I really think it is an American signature styling element and no one does it better. Cadillac is moving away from those styling cues and while it may work for them there is plenty of room in the market for other products. Make no mistake....this vehicle is designed with China squarely in mind. I can see where the 2 rear seats will be a China only option since it has limited market appeal for the US (do you think the Edge for China with 7 seats was only a concidence?)

So a few questions-how do the door hinges work? Are they hidden or protrude on the vehicle? And how will Matthew McConaughey work these commercials? I love the guy for Lincoln and think he has done a great job drawing attention to the line up of average products (if you think they are a best in class your kidding yourself). He resonates someone who appreciates heritage and style as much as anyone out of Hollywood.....by the way.......is he also the face of Lincoln for China?

Edited by kyle
  • Like 2

That's what I was saying, tune it to fit the car, but I still don't think using the exact same setup is necessarily a good thing here. At the very least, distance themselves from the performance division and give it a different name. Save the performance names for a future red label trim or a possible lincstang.

Ok - call it Lincoln Performance AWD. I think you're overthinking it just a bit.

• Like 1