2016 Camaro to be shown off May 16th

silvrsvt

Of course I was being facetious referring to the Transformers movie appearance. But you have to ask - why would GM announce the announcement 2 months ahead of time?

My first thought of reading this was that won't see it in production till next Summer!

Of course I was being facetious referring to the Transformers movie appearance. But you have to ask - why would GM announce the announcement 2 months ahead of time?

Perhaps to steal some thunder from the introductions at the upcoming New York Auto Show?

Probably. But I think it hurts them more in the long run. When it finally arrives there won't be as much excitement. Look at what Ford pulled off with the GT.

Not the best analogy.... the GT doesn't even go into production until late next year.

Not the best analogy.... the GT doesn't even go into production until late next year.

I know - but you didn't see Ford coming out with a press release that said they would be revealing the new GT in 2 months...........

It's the whole "announcing the announcement" thing.

• Like 1

Perhaps to steal some thunder from the introductions at the upcoming New York Auto Show?

Doesn't GM have introductions at NY? Wouldn't be stealing thunder from their own cars? Not a surprise considering GM.

Edited by Hugh

Doesn't GM have introductions at NY? Wouldn't be stealing thunder from their own cars? Not a surprise considering GM.

The 2016 Chevrolet Malibu and 2016 Cadillac CT6 are supposed to be unveiled at the show. Maybe GM doesn't want the introduction of a new Camaro to overshadow those cars.

The 2016 Chevrolet Malibu and 2016 Cadillac CT6 are supposed to be unveiled at the show. Maybe GM doesn't want the introduction of a new Camaro to overshadow those cars.

Makes sense. I guess I don't see the big deal about the Camero.

To be fair, reading the press release...it sounds like they are throwing it as a big party with 1,000 people invited. It would be a little odd if they tried doing that and announced it "the day of". They want to build excitement and get 1,000 people signed up to show up....who may not be able to do that on a moment's notice.

It sounds like they are billing it much like the LX SpringFest that my website & Chrysler get involved in every year in southern California. Exhibits, Ride-alongs, test tracks, a big fun, car-based atmosphere. Chrysler even introduced a couple special edition models there amongst the enthusiasts.

Basically I see nothing wrong with this.

Introducing a new car at an existing event is one thing. Even then you don't have to announce it ahead of time. But creating an event like that to debut a new model will be great for the 1000 die hard camaro fans that sign up but I don't see it generating much buzz amongst the rest.

GM just has a history of announcing things they're going to do sometime in the future then we get stuck waiting for it. Note the recent Cadillac announcements.

Ford and Lincoln, by contrast, don't reveal anything at all even a month or two ahead of time.

I like the just do it version over the let's talk about what we're going to do version.

To be fair, the GT is also a high-priced, limited production model. Demand from those who can afford it will be there regardless of when it is produced.

Camaro on the other hand, is a volume vehicle at an affordable price point. Sure there will be demand for it when it does finally hit showroom floors, but by announcing it so early, they dampen the excitement for the vehicle in the mind of the average consumer.

• Like 1

To be fair, the GT is also a high-priced, limited production model. Demand from those who can afford it will be there regardless of when it is produced.

Camaro on the other hand, is a volume vehicle at an affordable price point. Sure there will be demand for it when it does finally hit showroom floors, but by announcing it so early, they dampen the excitement for the vehicle in the mind of the average consumer.

There's also the 2017 Raptor. Announced more then a year out.

Listen, I'm not trying to be a GM sympathizer here (and anyone who is privy to my recent background with them would be surprised I'm saying anything non-negative about them at all). But I do feel that lately it's been to easy to jump on the bandwagon to be overly critical of everything GM does. To me, this is just marketing fluff. So they are trying something new to introduce a vehicle. To me this is hardly something to jump all over as "another dumb GM thing".

• Like 1

Introducing a new car at an existing event is one thing. Even then you don't have to announce it ahead of time. But creating an event like that to debut a new model will be great for the 1000 die hard camaro fans that sign up but I don't see it generating much buzz amongst the rest.

I'm guessing that the Camaro largely sells to diehard fans who want a Camaro, and nothing else. Most of them probably don't even cross-shop the Camaro with other vehicles. Introducing a new version of the Camaro at an event for fans of the car does make sense.

You aren't going to get 1,000 people to show up at a special event for the new Malibu or even the Cadillac CT6. (GM might attract members of the Cadillac-LaSalle Club for the Cadillac's debut, but GM seems intent on telling those people to go away.)

Edited by grbeck

There's also the 2017 Raptor. Announced more then a year out.

Listen, I'm not trying to be a GM sympathizer here (and anyone who is privy to my recent background with them would be surprised I'm saying anything non-negative about them at all). But I do feel that lately it's been to easy to jump on the bandwagon to be overly critical of everything GM does. To me, this is just marketing fluff. So they are trying something new to introduce a vehicle. To me this is hardly something to jump all over as "another dumb GM thing".

Yeah, that's true as well. I actually thought about that when I wrote my post but didn't mention it.

True regarding the Raptor but at least they introduced it. The Camero hasn't, just the announcement that it will (finally IMHO) be introduced. I think there's a difference here.

Edited by Hugh

At the May event I am sure they will announce when the car will be put into production. It will be heavily covered by the media as well so the Camaro faithful that can't be there will get a good look at the car thru the Media.

It's good to have GM and Chrysler still in the Pony Car business. It means we all benefit with better cars as times move forward whether we are Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger fans..

Edited by Dave-S
  • Like 2

GM has been so egregious the last decade or so announcing new products up to 2 or 3 years in advance, it's hard for me to give them a pass on this one. I get the whole Camaro fan thing. But just look at all the announcements Cadillac just made about products that are 2-3 years away. They just can't help themselves.