Titanium 19" Wheels Question

mlewie65

My 2014 Titanium has the 19" H spokes with Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus tires which are much better than the OEM Contis but still, I'm finding the overall ride to still be pretty stiff with not very good dampening of bumps and other road deficiencies. On open, well paved freeways, the ride, of course, is much better but that's about the only time that it is. The Titanium clearly has more of a tuned suspension than the other models and the thin sidewalls of the 135/40-19's don't help. I'm curious as to what the impressions of the ride is from fellow 19" wheel owners and from those with the standard 18"ers as well on the Titanium. At one point I had asked my Ford dealer about a possible swap of my 19s for the 18s. There's a negligible impact on the speedometer's calibration but the dealer obviously couldn't do a cold swap and wasn't sure that it could be done anyway. That I doubt. I love the look of the 19s and the car itself is aces but am still not sure that I can learn to love the ride characteristics so any opinions/thoughts would be appreciated.

I don't have any problem with my 19's. I don't find the ride to be rough at all but that's a personal preference. It all depends on what you're used to and how bad your roads are. I don't think going to 18s will help that much. 17s would be a lot better IMO.

I have the 17's on my SE and the ride is very smooth. With less sidewall height to the tire, that is part of the penalty you will pay for (the bettter looking) wheel and tire.

Yeah, the Michelin Energy Savers on the SEs are very good and very quiet but that's too big a jump in regard to the speedometer offsets.

Yeah, the Michelin Energy Savers on the SEs are very good and very quiet but that's too big a jump in regard to the speedometer offsets.

There is no difference in the overall circumference of the tire going from 19s to 18s to 17s provided you stick with OEM tire sizes or very close.

It's called plus sizing - you change the wheel size but not the overall tire size.

And because of what akirby said the 18's might be a good compromise since they give you a bit more tread height than the 19's. They use P235/45R 18 tires. There are usually several sets of the various Factory rims and tires in all sizes on ebay. You could buy them on ebay and turn around and then sell your current rims and tires on ebay too. It might be a wash when it comes to cost.

And because of what akirby said the 18's might be a good compromise since they give you a bit more tread height than the 19's. They use P235/45R 18 tires. There are usually several sets of the various Factory rims and tires in all sizes on ebay. You could buy them on ebay and turn around and then sell your current rims and tires on ebay too. It might be a wash when it comes to cost.

I have considered that but logistically it might be somewhat difficult. Would switching out the wheels (for OEMS only) and tires have any impact on the Ford Warranty? Does anyone know what the recommended pressure is for the 18s? It's 37 PSI for the 19s and my understanding is that the TPMS is calibrated for around a 25% decrease in pressure.

I have a 2013 Escape Titanium with 19" Contis on it from factory. Before getting it, I test drove a SEL Escape with 18" inch. I didn't find any difference between the two.

I also have a 2007 Montego with 18" rims. My Escape rides better.

I have the 19s and find the ride to be terrible. So stiff and choppy.

Have you also thought about switching to the 18s? One thing that I'd like to do is test drive a Titanium with the standard 18s over some roads that I'm familiar with in order to determine how much difference in the ride there is, if any. I have noticed that more and more dealer stocked TTs now have the 19" wheels as a supplied option. Again, the car itself and the 2.0L Turbo is great, even if the MPGs can be a bit erratic at times. On clear well paved freeways I can get around 31 mpg. Local driving is more variable but the overall mpg is around 24-25 which is OK. It climbs up in speed so smoothly that when I glance down at the speedometer and see that I'm close to 85 MPH, I have to slow down quickly, a nice problem to have. The TT has so many nice small touches that make it a richer experience than the SEs and it's leather seats are among the most comfortable that I've ever had in a car. I just need to adjust to the ride characteristics or try what I can to improve them.

What was your previous vehicle?

Acura TL with 18s. The Fusion with 19s you just feel every single bump and uneven surface. I've driven a Fusion S with the 17 (16?) inch wheels and man what a difference. Felt like a different car.

Have you also thought about switching to the 18s? One thing that I'd like to do is test drive a Titanium with the standard 18s over some roads that I'm familiar with in order to determine how much difference in the ride there is, if any. I have noticed that more and more dealer stocked TTs now have the 19" wheels as a supplied option. Again, the car itself and the 2.0L Turbo is great, even if the MPGs can be a bit erratic at times. On clear well paved freeways I can get around 31 mpg. Local driving is more variable but the overall mpg is around 24-25 which is OK. It climbs up in speed so smoothly that when I glance down at the speedometer and see that I'm close to 85 MPH, I have to slow down quickly, a nice problem to have. The TT has so many nice small touches that make it a richer experience than the SEs and it's leather seats are among the most comfortable that I've ever had in a car. I just need to adjust to the ride characteristics or try what I can to improve them.

I've considered swapping the 19s for the 18 inch gloss black SE wheels, but I only have the car for another 15 months before I turn it in (lease). I'd imagine the difference would be noticeable as not only are the wheels smaller in size, but the rubber is not as low-profile. I think that really is the kicker. Edited by cjh

BTW, cjh, that Dark Side Metallic on your Titanium just looks great. Mine is in Sterling Gray, also a very nice color, but I would have considered the DSM if it was readily available at that time.

post-52598-0-29023100-1425492548_thumb.jpg

Edited by mlewie65

BTW, cjh, that Dark Side Metallic on your Titanium just looks great. Mine is in Sterling Gray, also a very nice color, but I would have considered the DSM if it was readily available at that time.

It is a great color! It looks like black most the time, but is more interesting in the sun.

14435338396_b9ca0a83a4_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Another way to go would be to get 235/50R19 tires.

That would increase the overall diameter some though! So ride height would be 1.8" more. probably wouldn't want that! Speedometer would read about 4mph fast too!

235/50-19 235/40-19 Difference Diameter inches (mm) 28.25 (717.6) 26.4 (670.6)

I don't like ANY tire on ANY car/truck that is less than a 60% profile !

What is the reason for not liking less than 60%?

I guess if you're driving a 4x4 F150 I wouldn't want real low profiles, but for a Mustang I personally would want 40 aspect ratio tires!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have the same rims, but in 17". Standard on the Titanium Energi. I tried to get 19's but the dealership wouldn't do it. I had planned to keep 19's for summer and 17's with winter tires. The suspension on all fusion models are the same. There is no upgrade with the Titanium. However as you increase your rim size you end up with a smaller and stiffer sidewall, which is why you get a stiffer ride. You have less buffer space for an impact to disperse. After a few winters on Michigan roads, you'll have so many dents in your rim you may as well be riding with Fred Flintstone.