Roll up Tonneau cover

Drivenhard

I think it's coming in between the truck bed and the frame for the cover. It isn't a big deal to me, so I haven't bothered to see if I could improve it. I would say almost any roll up cover is going to leak some in those circumstances.

I had a Tonno Pro 3 section on a short bed that never leaked a drop that I ever saw. I wonder if that is inherent to track attached roll ups?

That's what I love about mine. I have a fifth wheel, so it's nice to be able to roll it up out of the way when I need the bed.

We also have a 5th wheel. We sometimes carry things to and from the storage yard that may not take kindly to water. I never had a problem in the rain with the tri-fold. We could just use plastic trash bags to cover the items. Handling the tri-fold is a pain and I kept re gluing the weatherstripping because it would come off in the process.

Edited by Drivenhard

We also have a 5th wheel. We sometimes carry things to and from the storage yard that may not take kindly to water. I never had a problem in the rain with the tri-fold. We could just use plastic trash bags to cover the items. Handling the tri-fold is a pain and I kept re gluing the weatherstripping because it would come off in the process.

Just don't haul things in the middle of a toad soaker! :)

Seriously though, the water leaks are minimal in the rain. Car washes is the biggest offender since it is blasted from the side. The only leaks I've seen are really minor in extremely heavy downpours. A little extra weatherstripping may even help that. With a 5th wheel, I would definitely avoid a tri-fold if at all possible.

Just don't haul things in the middle of a toad soaker! :)

Seriously though, the water leaks are minimal in the rain. Car washes is the biggest offender since it is blasted from the side. The only leaks I've seen are really minor in extremely heavy downpours. A little extra weatherstripping may even help that. With a 5th wheel, I would definitely avoid a tri-fold if at all possible.

Hey! We don't cancel our camping trips even in a monsoon! That's why we have a nice and comfortable camper. I will just order the Truxedo and stay out of the car washes. Thanks again!

• Like 1

It shouldn't be hard to fully waterproof it with some strategically placed foam weatherstripping.

I can do that if it becomes an issue. I'll go with the convenience of the rollup even though I have sprayed the trifold with a power washer many times without any water getting into the bed. Can't really have it all, enough to get what you need! Thanks for the suggestion!

I also have a fifth wheel and when I jumped into my 2015 F-350 I went from a ROLL-N-LOCK to a Jack Rabbit ... I really like this cover because I do NOT have to open the cover to open the tailgate like I did with the roll-n-lock... It is a bit pricier than your budget , but a real nice affordable cover....

Thanks! I'll check that out. I did not have to open the cover to open the tailgate with the trifold.

I've had the Truxedo roll up covers on my trucks since 2003. My 2006 and 2011 both had/have the Low Pro.

It was a great cover in the early days. I'm a little frustrated with it lately. The velcro on the side is totally worthless now. It attaches at the front rail and back corners. Any strong cross wind now gets under the cover jerks it around.

A couple of really strong gust have actually popped it off and I've had to stop and get out in terrible cross winds and try and catch the top and get it fastened back down. As long as your velcro is in good shape, this isn't a problem. But the velcro doesn't last forever.

I just ordered a 2015 truck and am considering the folding covers. I really want a 4 fold vs a tri-fold. I want more of my bed exposed ( I drive long bed trucks with a GN hitch.) Several times a week I hook up my GN horse trailer and don't want to remove the cover when I need to pull the trailer. I do a lot of weekend camp out with the horses, where I need to put hay and water in the bed. So the Roll up type is probably the better choice. But I'm looking at my options.

The roll-up covers have a bad habit of rubbing the paint off the back of the cab when you store the cover rolled forward.

oh,,,,,,, like the old style Velcro sided roll up... man I hate those!!

But I can buy 3 of them for the cost of one 'in the bed' rollup cover. Plus, I don't lose any space in my bed. ;)

You want to talk about HATE. My first truck had a snap down tonneau cover. Now that was something to hate. Geez, it was a 10 minute ordeal to roll up or unroll the cover. Plus, the brace had to come off the back. After that, I truly LOVE my velcro rollup! :)

But I can buy 3 of them for the cost of one 'in the bed' rollup cover. Plus, I don't lose any space in my bed. ;)

You want to talk about HATE. My first truck had a snap down tonneau cover. Now that was something to hate. Geez, it was a 10 minute ordeal to roll up or unroll the cover. Plus, the brace had to come off the back. After that, I truly LOVE my velcro rollup! :)

After all the discussion here, I ordered and just received a a Truxedo Lo Profile QT cover. Haven't put it on yet, but looking at it I found the Velcro they used to be of much higher quality than I've seen on older covers. I think this newer Velcro will hold up better than the older generation products did. I think many older Velcro covers used adhesive tape on the bed which would never hold up well. The cover I bought has it pre-installed on bars that clamp to the bed. The Velcro is under tension and is designed to move with the cover during expansion and contraction. We'll see how it does.