Alternative work schedule

manzov22

My goodness Spuddly FINALLY at least one other hourly employee who think union!Ya know,wait until the trades get older and the full effects of working 7-12`s in a row start to kik in.I came down with a bad flu two days into my 7,I used 12 hours personal time to lie in bed for 24 hours hoping I am well enough to be able to stand 4 more 12`s in a row.I don't need 7 days off I need a slower pace while I am working.You are refreshing Spuddly!

Not all Aws are 7 /12s and then a week off. Another one is 3 12s one week and 4 12s the next.......this is skilled trade schedule. No matter......still work every other weekend. Trades that like it that I know are still being offerred thier days off (overtime)......the point of aws is to lessen ot. I think once management dials I'm there will be a lot less or. Gotta a feeling there will be a lot fewer trades liking aws at that point

:(

Can I just point out the obvious,the trades who will 'live' at Ford to make extra money would gladly take the O.T. and Ford would still have coverage under the traditional m-f 8 hour schedule BUT at a higher cost.No one should be forced to work 12 hours or use 12 hours vacation pay to take off Easter Sunday because Easter Sunday falls within their AWS.This example of the trades guy who lives at Ford and sleeps in the parking lot makes everything okay?I don't care if he also saves money by eating out of the dumpster I don't want to do that.Finally not all trades jobs are equal some are more high pressure than others the question from a U-N-I-O-N perspective should be what is better for all employees.So what do you think the union people who agreed to the AWS are doing,standing by on site ready to jump in and file a grievance?

Edited by Fatso

When talking about AWS would you please stop stereotyping ALL trades who work everyday.Trades jobs are all different some guys got 'deals' some guys gotta play it straight.I came down with the flu in the middle of my 7/12`s and had to use 36 hours of paid time.Easter Sunday I can work or use 12 hours vacation time that means 48 hours of paid time.Now some company first guy is gonna slam and say "no you don't have to" well once again the contract is enforced arbitrarily and capriciously as a mitty-man told me once while I was complaining "If they don't like you I cant help you" meaning somes gets the breaks and somes don't get the breaks.Lastly the company knows the UAW is weak and the employees are divided aint nothing gonna get better without a fight.If I was the company I would say to the union---I will give you a raise on 2nd tier but all over-time for the trades only pays time and a quarter because hey the trades guyz live here anyways.I have seen people living in cardboard boxes and eating out of dumpsters does that mean its a good thing?I need a union for this?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Aws is awful as I stated before. The UAW needs to wake up and modify it some how. The UAW cant throw the current members under the bus just to get more dues. The guys at the top like AWS because they dont have to do it. Why wont the elected officials do it? Alot of people working easter for straight time and missing quality family time. I dont know if thats worth 71$$ a month.

They will definitely have to address some of the AWS issues in the upcoming negotiations. I don't know about all of the other plants but at Sterling there was not one dept working AWS before this last contract took effect and I'm not positive about Van dyke but I know there's a whole lot more depts working AWS now than before this contract. I don't think a lot of people really realized how shitty 3 and 4 crew schedules really are. Some people liked the idea of it because you get so many extra days off. But now that they've done it for a couple years and have had to work some holidays and weekends for straight time you're starting to see more and more people hating it. People are also starting to get tired and worn out, these type of work schedules are not good at all on your body.

They will definitely have to address some of the AWS issues in the upcoming negotiations. I don't know about all of the other plants but at Sterling there was not one dept working AWS before this last contract took effect and I'm not positive about Van dyke but I know there's a whole lot more depts working AWS now than before this contract. I don't think a lot of people really realized how shitty 3 and 4 crew schedules really are. Some people liked the idea of it because you get so many extra days off. But now that they've done it for a couple years and have had to work some holidays and weekends for straight time you're starting to see more and more people hating it. People are also starting to get tired and worn out, these type of work schedules are not good at all on your body.

AWS is here to stay!

Accept it or Quit

When I read the stuff u post on here it makes me think you're an over weight 5th grade child who gets picked on every day. Is that why you post these types of comments? are u tired of being teased and picked on by the bigger boys so u have to take out your aggression on the internet??? not once in my post did I ever mention getting rid of AWS. I did say that some of the issues need to be addressed during this years contract negotiations. "Accept AWS or quit" lol. maybe u really are a fat 10 year old kid, you sure do talk like one

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I might be missing something (I usually am!), but since they're hiring kids these days for low wages and crappy 'benifits', why not run 8 hour shifts all the time? It can't be that much cheaper to not do this, can it? Did I mention I'm usually missing something? :headscratch:

The company wants those that can't handle it to retire. That's a big reason they implemented it. I'm begging to be back on AWS....I don't want to live in the plant.

Edited by Tier2

I might be missing something (I usually am!), but since they're hiring kids these days for low wages and crappy 'benifits', why not run 8 hour shifts all the time? It can't be that much cheaper to not do this, can it? Did I mention I'm usually missing something? :headscratch:

They won't run 8 hour shifts cause the employees would like that, they want to kill you so they run 10 more hours!

They want when you leave the company for your body to be so messed up

What does a union stand for?

40 hr work week

Time and a half after 8 hrs

time and a half on Saturday

double time on Sunday

this is what was once considered normal.

now we have the AWS

straight time on Saturday

straight time on Sunday

39 hr work week at 12 hours a day

48 hr work week at 12 hours a day

Overtime after 10 hours and only after you fulfill your workweek obligations

12 hrs of vacation time spent for one day off from work.

straight time mandatory Easter Sunday

it's truly shameful

You forgot equal work for equal pay....Im guessing you're a legacy employee.