Alternative work schedule

manzov22

I think the majority of the workforce is against aws and it needs to be limited or abolished. I understand that it probably wont go away unless the membership fights back. I would like to see it go away personally. How does the rest of the workforce feel?

AWS is the best! You need to find another job if you don't wish to work it

• Like 1

AWS is the best! You need to find another job if you don't wish to work it

AWS is the worst in my opinion. Your flip comment "to find another job if you don't like it" is ridiculous. I didn't like it but worked it for quite sometime. I never thought about quitting because I didn't like the schedule. You always have to do things you don't like in life. That does not make it right. Would you look for another job if they went back to a traditional schedule??? I don't think so. According to our contract the AWS was meant to be an option in troubled times. Well, those are over....and so should the AWS. If the contract stated that AWS could be put in place at any time, I would not have a problem with it at all. It would be nice if the UAW would just enforce the contractual agreements that have been agreed upon.

Ford does profit from this type of schedule. I have no problem with Ford trying to increase it's profits, but trying to increase profits by abusing the workers that make their product is wrong. They can save more $$$ by reducing salary people on the floor or reducing their pay/bonuses because their contribution to the product we make is minimal. They run around to give the perception they are needed when in reality, they just get in the way and make bad decisions. That statement is proven when you have two or maybe even three "bosses" telling you two or three things to do that conflict with the other. Each boss is trying to show "HE/SHE" is the one in charge.

Edited by RougeWelder
  • Like 1

AWS is the worst in my opinion. Your flip comment "to find another job if you don't like it" is ridiculous. I didn't like it but worked it for quite sometime. I never thought about quitting because I didn't like the schedule. You always have to do things you don't like in life. That does not make it right. Would you look for another job if they went back to a traditional schedule??? I don't think so. According to our contract the AWS was meant to be an option in troubled times. Well, those are over....and so should the AWS. If the contract stated that AWS could be put in place at any time, I would not have a problem with it at all. It would be nice if the UAW would just enforce the contractual agreements that have been agreed upon.

Ford does profit from this type of schedule. I have no problem with Ford trying to increase it's profits, but trying to increase profits by abusing the workers that make their product is wrong. They can save more $$$ by reducing salary people on the floor or reducing their pay/bonuses because their contribution to the product we make is minimal. They run around to give the perception they are needed when in reality, they just get in the way and make bad decisions. That statement is proven when you have two or maybe even three "bosses" telling you two or three things to do that conflict with the other. Each boss is trying to show "HE/SHE" is the one in charge.

AWS does not abuse the worker!

This guy must not have a family or he is on A crew. If he was on B crew or C crew or a 4 crew he would be talking different. The guy seems ignorant. If u have kids involved in things you are going to miss alot. I was on a 4 crew for 9 months and missed a ton of my kids sporting events. I even had to quit coaching and had to give up the one hobby that I enjoy ( which was on sundays). I just never saw the day coming where the UAW would let ford dictate how I have to live my life. 98% of the resolution forms were to rework the rules around aws or to abolish it.

• Like 1

This guy must not have a family or he is on A crew. If he was on B crew or C crew or a 4 crew he would be talking different. The guy seems ignorant. If u have kids involved in things you are going to miss alot. I was on a 4 crew for 9 months and missed a ton of my kids sporting events. I even had to quit coaching and had to give up the one hobby that I enjoy ( which was on sundays). I just never saw the day coming where the UAW would let ford dictate how I have to live my life. 98% of the resolution forms were to rework the rules around aws or to abolish it.

Lol

Edited by littlecountry

AWS does not abuse the worker!

I respect your opinion lcountry. And I do not doubt that others agree with you. But in my opinion, and the opinion of the other industrialized nations, working an 84hr work week is abusive both physically and mentally. The week off after the work week does not make up for this. Ford was the first company to incorporate the 8hr, 5day workweek because it was fair to it's workers and allowed them more time to spend with their families and was proven to increase productivity. Although some do not mind this schedule, or even like it, does not make it right. Please read these(especially the second one).

http://www.peoplesworld.org/today-in-labor-history-the-40-hour-workweek/

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/ford-factory-workers-get-40-hour-week

• Like 1

Littlecountry, As usual, you are so far from being correct in your statements that it proves you don't have a clue. AWS DOES abuse workers. Ask any sleep doctor, or competent medical person and they will tell you that changing sleep patterns so often is not only detrimental to good health, but can be down right dangerous. It opens people to being too tired to drive safely, hurts their health, by not getting the sleep that the body requires.

Wake up and get a clue. Your false rants are getting old.

I work 7/12`s starting on thursday and running till thursday of the next week.This cuts down on the amount of o.t. the company must pay while getting coverage 365/24/7.While I am working nothing is enjoyable,simply bearable.Not a meal,not a sleep.As I get fatigued I get extremely irritible and easily annoyed.When there is something else to do at home {say something breaks or shovel snow} it is even more stressful.This schedule interferes with my family life and spiritual life as well as my health.

• Like 1

Aws is awful for anyone that is involved with their family. Its bad on your health and it steal away quality time with the family. Ask the people at van dyke how aws is treating them. Idling machines, tlos, sending people back to other plants, and forcing low seniority to go home if they cant get volunteers. You cannot run 24 7 forever. Its a fact. Economy is cyclical. These plants are manned to run 24 7 forever. Its common sense. Just pray that your not low at a plant when the economy dips. Remember, 15 to 16 years is low at some of these plants.

• Like 2

We need to get our OT back after 8 hrs. I think that is worth fighting for. 4 crew forces 12.5 hour shifts. One week you 3 days. The next week 4 days. Minimal OT. The shift is 5am to 530pm for days and 5pm to 530 am for afternoons. One week you get 36 hrs with minimal OT. Forced in every other weekend. Most of the hours are straight time. People need to wake up, aws does not benefit most workers. I get it, some people like it but, majority does not. If majority of the workers dont want it then it is up to the UAW to be our voice. As I stated earlier, 85 to 90% of resolution forms were to restrict aws to a percentage of the plant.

• Like 1

I love AWS. On average you are working a little over half of every month.... Long weekends every week if on A crew or B crew,

At Dearborn truck, if we were not working AWS do any of you think for one second that we would not be working 6 days a week every week???? Especially now with the Launch of the new F150 they would have the 2 crew system running minimum 11 or 12 hours a day for 5 days and 8 hours on saturday......

Yes you probably would be working 6 days. However, they can only force 9 hours and 2 Saturdays a month. The other hours and other Saturdays can be filled in by other people that a actually want to work. At my plant we call it shopping. No one has ever really been forced because they always find shoppers. You mention A and B crew, but what about the 4 crew people and C crew. Aws might work for you but, theres alot of fathers and people that want to be involved with their families that are sacrificing. All I want is some restrictions on it. There needs to be options for people that never ever want to be on it. We cant be backed into a corner forced to miss out on quality, priceless family moments. I think restricting it is fair for all

• Like 1

Okay you do get 7 days off in a row.You also are not getting overtime until you work 10 hours a day and saturday sunday are time and a quarter.I would like to see it put up for a vote.The traditional schedule was best for making money and living a life.Mandatory 12`s suk but alas now they are probably here to stay because the company gets 365/24/7 coverage for less pay.Lets put AWS up to a vote of the memebership.

• Like 1

I would love for it to go to a vote but it never will. UAW loves it because they get to hire more people which means more dues. The company love's it because they get to run 365/24/7 with minimal oT. The only people that hate are the ones that are forced into it and are missing out of money and quality family time. The other group that will hate are the people that get laid off when the cant run a plant 24/7/365. It will happen, its just a matter of time.

Canadian Ford plants rotated every 2 weeks while I worked there. 2 shifts of production, 8-10 hours a day., trades 3 shifts of 8 hours. Worked out great, I only had 2 divorces in 32 years. As far as I know they still do similar hours, my plant, STAP closed so I don't know what shifts are at the other plants now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What does a union stand for?

40 hr work week

Time and a half after 8 hrs

time and a half on Saturday

double time on Sunday

this is what was once considered normal.

now we have the AWS

straight time on Saturday

straight time on Sunday

39 hr work week at 12 hours a day

48 hr work week at 12 hours a day

Overtime after 10 hours and only after you fulfill your workweek obligations

12 hrs of vacation time spent for one day off from work.

straight time mandatory Easter Sunday

it's truly shameful

Edited by Spuddly1
  • Like 4