Towing fifth wheel with f-250 6.2L

Ramrod79

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got to take the new 5ver out this weekend, had it loaded up and a light tailwind on the way out to the site with a flat highway and managed to get 12 mpg at 62mph(pulled in 6th gear).On the way back doing the same speed and pushing in to a light headwind I got 9.0mpg( had to pull in 5th gear).

Finally got to take the new 5ver out this weekend, had it loaded up and a light tailwind on the way out to the site with a flat highway and managed to get 12 mpg at 62mph(pulled in 6th gear).On the way back doing the same speed and pushing in to a light headwind I got 9.0mpg( had to pull in 5th gear).

Only question at this point is did you feel you had enough "oomph" from your setup or do you think owning a Powerstroke diesel version would have been worth the extra cost of such a truck?

Twintornados, I am happy with my setup as I was able to excelerate when needing to with out having to put it to the floor. I found having the trans in manual mode on the highway works great and when in town leave it in auto with tow/haul mode. I know the diesel would pull my trailer with ease but the GVWR for my 5ver is only 9300lbs, so the big 6.7L is expensive overkill. Thinking a set of airbags will be my only addition to my TV.

• Like 2

Twintornados, I am happy with my setup as I was able to excelerate when needing to with out having to put it to the floor. I found having the trans in manual mode on the highway works great and when in town leave it in auto with tow/haul mode. I know the diesel would pull my trailer with ease but the GVWR for my 5ver is only 9300lbs, so the big 6.7L is expensive overkill. Thinking a set of airbags will be my only addition to my TV.

:rockon: Glad to hear.....the 6.2L sounds like a capable motor. I hope Ford keeps improving/updating it for continued use.

• 4 weeks later...

Drove across the border last weekend into Montana and picked up some firestone riderite airbags, installed them in a couple of hours. I ran the lines up to the gas door and installed the valves just below where the diesels would have the DEF tank cap. Nice and easy to fill, no bending down or having to get in between the truck and trailer to fill or deflate. I have been running 20psi in them all week to make sure they are not leaking, it lifted the back end about 1 3/4". Picked up the fver from storage and didn't have to air up anymore as it is sitting about level with 20psi. Heading out camping tomorrow, looking forward to see if the ride is as good loaded as it has been unloaded with the airbags.