Raises and cost of living reinstated

As I'm sure most if not all who read this will agree, we need raises, not these various bonus schemes that keep being brought to us. The last time we were givin a raise we were making about 8 times minimum wage. Some states now have in excess of $10 as minimum wage. Most employees are making at or less than 3 times minimum wage now... And that's not even bringing the tier 2 wage earners into the discussion. Why did international give away our cost of living? Why wasn't it put on hold and looked at again after a year? Two years? Why just give it away? Why aren't these issues being discussed in these forums in a contract year? How many billions in profit must these corporations make per year before they stop saying "We arent out of the woods yet"? Salery has had raises and bonuses/benefits reinstated. International has had pay increases, and raised our dues. Who represents us? I'm tired of turning on the news or picking up a paper and seeing the headlines about the autoworkers extravagant profit sharing bonus checks when the general public has no idea what we've been through. Where is the unions PR firm? It's pathetic, public perception of unions and the auto industry specifically is horrible when the majority of the country benefits from the progress made on health and safety, pay, holidays, healthcare and the list goes on and on. Enough is enough. We have given enough. Do something for the membership.

Edited by 8yearswithoneraise
  • Like 4

As I'm sure most if not all who read this will agree, we need raises, not these various bonus schemes that keep being brought to us. The last time we were givin a raise we were making about 8 times minimum wage. Some states now have in excess of $10 as minimum wage. Most employees are making at or less than 3 times minimum wage now... And that's not even bringing the tier 2 wage earners into the discussion. Why did international give away our cost of living? Why wasn't it put on hold and looked at again after a year? Two years? Why just give it away? Why aren't these issues being discussed in these forums in a contract year? How many billions in profit must these corporations make per year before they stop saying "We arent out of the woods yet"? Salery has had raises and bonuses/benefits reinstated. International has had pay increases, and raised our dues. Who represents us? I'm tired of turning on the news or picking up a paper and seeing the headlines about the autoworkers extravagant profit sharing bonus checks when the general public has no idea what we've been through. Where is the unions PR firm? It's pathetic, public perception of unions and the auto industry specifically is horrible when the majority of the country benefits from the progress made on health and safety, pay, holidays, healthcare and the list goes on and on. Enough is enough. We have given enough. Do something for the membership.

Its hard to get public support when the trades are making $150,000 per year, most promotional production jobs are at $80,000 per year (including ot) our golden benefits are better that any one I know including salary as the cost goes up year after year we have no additional out of pocket costs. Family of 4 for medical coverage is now $10,000 per year. We have good dental and great prescription coverage. I have as well as most trades grossed $13,000+ per year profit sharing and also include the signing bonus of $8,000 and the yearly $1,250 cola bonus and BINGO-- The public HATES Us

Our plants are flooded with work and our #1 negotiated benefit is job security which has been a home run............

I would like a raise too............. Public hatred towards unions especially the UAW is tied into the republican propaganda lie machine, one union, one member, can not change the perception

Edited by tooltime
  • Like 2

A Raise? They company does not want to give raises because the cost of what it takes to build a vehicle goes up , that's why those lump sum bonus checks are here to stay..

Sorry but your minimum wage cry kinda don't make sense, I'm sure if you go ask anybody making minimum wage if they will work for $28 an hour without a raise , they would say where do I sign up!

Job security and the huge signing bonus and making that June lump sum check bigger is what you can expect from this contract!

2nd Tier would not have a job today if the 2 tier pay scale had not been voted in, so don't expect that to go away!

A Raise? They company does not want to give raises because the cost of what it takes to build a vehicle goes up , that's why those lump sum bonus checks are here to stay..

Sorry but your minimum wage cry kinda don't make sense, I'm sure if you go ask anybody making minimum wage if they will work for $28 an hour without a raise , they would say where do I sign up!

Job security and the huge signing bonus and making that June lump sum check bigger is what you can expect from this contract!

2nd Tier would not have a job today if the 2 tier pay scale had not been voted in, so don't expect that to go away!

Agree with all you said, just want to add that tier 2 shouldn't expect a raise. Why would tier 1 agree to vote yes on a raise for tier 2 when they've gone over 10 yrs without one themselves...

I agree that raises are way overdue! Ford is in a great position atm and I believe Tier 1 and 2 both can expect to get more compensation for this contract. I'd personally just like to see more company contributions to Tesphe aswell as hourly wages. I'd also like more concrete work schedule instead of up to 42 minutes more after a 10 hour shift each and every day. Thats just me though. :P

• Like 1

Do the math, as long as two tier remains at only 20% of the work force you will not have "the strong hold"!

EXACTLY!!!!!! When a tier 1 retires Ford won't replace them with a tier 2 they'll just do what their doing now and have been doing for years right under the unions nose, IT'S CALLED "REBALANCING OF THE LINE" and the union stands by and does NOTHING about it..

• Like 2

And you can blame yourselves for not getting a raise in over 10 yrs. Stop blaming the company its your fault for letting it happen...

I blame no one, I don't expect a raise, I know how things work and I don't ever expect a raise just a lump sum bonus, Ford will do everything in their power not to give a raise, they don't want any more cost tied to that vehicle and a raise for employees means the cost to build the vehicle goes up.

Once again 2nd Tier should shake a 1st Tier's hand and say thank you next time they see one for giving them the opportunity to work at Ford!

We voted on concessions to Save Our Job and create jobs! Know the facts before you think a 1st Tier screwed over a 2nd Tier.

• Like 1

I liked littlecountry's post, however I will say it is imperative that we get entry level on the same playing field as traditional employees pay and benefits period.

Would I like a raise? yup sure would haven't seen one in ten years, however entry level was introduced to allow the UAW to bargain work back to the US during the worst recession since the great depression. That time has passed, I do not have the answers but one solution is what the CAW did by increasing the "grow in period" to reach 10 years. That is the best solution that I can see the company buying into that is a win, win for all parties involved.

Entry level employees would know that once they are vested they will be paid and receive the same benefits current traditional employees enjoy, as well as would keep labor cost lower for at least a decade.

As indicated by the IUAW this will be the primary bargaining issue this coming contract, the only issue as important/more important is future product commitments that will allow us all to continue working.

• Like 2

I blame no one, I don't expect a raise, I know how things work and I don't ever expect a raise just a lump sum bonus, Ford will do everything in their power not to give a raise, they don't want any more cost tied to that vehicle and a raise for employees means the cost to build the vehicle goes up.

Once again 2nd Tier should shake a 1st Tier's hand and say thank you next time they see one for giving them the opportunity to work at Ford!

We voted on concessions to Save Our Job and create jobs! Know the facts before you think a 1st Tier screwed over a 2nd Tier.

You have that backwards. You should be thanking Tier 2 that you still have a job, without us willing to do the same job as you for half the wage, then you would be out if a job. You guys complain about not having a raise, while the person next to you makes half of your wage, are no different than the company! Greedy!

There will be a raise and the two tier gap will be closed up some...President Williams quoted at conference...these two things are non-negotiable in his words. We gave when the company was hurting...Williams says it our turn now. Save your money...might come in handy come Sept. if he sticks by his word. If nothing happens then you have a nice little chuck to buy something for the holidays.

Agree with all you said, just want to add that tier 2 shouldn't expect a raise. Why would tier 1 agree to vote yes on a raise for tier 2 when they've gone over 10 yrs without one themselves...

Maybe because you already make double what a tier 2 makes? Nice union brother you are! What a joke!

You have that backwards. You should be thanking Tier 2 that you still have a job, without us willing to do the same job as you for half the wage, then you would be out if a job. You guys complain about not having a raise, while the person next to you makes half of your wage, are no different than the company! Greedy!

There are plenty of people who will take your place since your not grateful, go to labor and quit

There are plenty of people who will take your place since your not grateful, go to labor and quit

I am grateful for my job, but my gratitude is not towards a legacy employee who complains about not having a raise while I make half for doing the same job.

First off I would like to say EVERYONE should be thankful to have a job..Secondly EVERYONE deserves a raise. However when I hired in back 13 yrs ago.. I didn't start off making "Top" dollars nor did I receive full benefits. I had to work my way up the pay scale as I'm sure thousands others did as well. To me there is no "Us" or "U" in the matter of our classifications. We all are employed by One Company to do their assigned jobs. Most 2 Tier employees started maybe 3 yrs ago. You have received raises since and well deserved. Next contract you will receive a new set of raises. However don't lash out at your Tier 1 fellow employee just because they were hired before times changed and the 2 Tier system was implemented. U are falling right in the mindset of how the "Company" wants. Pitting folks against each other to undermind and divide to overshadow the fact "We all" deserve more. But put your time in before u expect the world. There is enough prosperity for all together than divided.

• Like 3

First off I would like to say EVERYONE should be thankful to have a job..Secondly EVERYONE deserves a raise. However when I hired in back 13 yrs ago.. I didn't start off making "Top" dollars nor did I receive full benefits. I had to work my way up the pay scale as I'm sure thousands others did as well. To me there is no "Us" or "U" in the matter of our classifications. We all are employed by One Company to do their assigned jobs. Most 2 Tier employees started maybe 3 yrs ago. You have received raises since and well deserved. Next contract you will receive a new set of raises. However don't lash out at your Tier 1 fellow employee just because they were hired before times changed and the 2 Tier system was implemented. U are falling right in the mindset of how the "Company" wants. Pitting folks against each other to undermind and divide to overshadow the fact "We all" deserve more. But put your time in before u expect the world. There is enough prosperity for all together than divided.

Great Post!

I just hate how the 2nd Tier feel they were wronged and they did not even work for the company when the 2 tier was implemented.

They act like they did not know how much they would be making when they got hired on.