America's New Best Selling Van- Transit

ANTAUS

I was under the impression that the E-series cutaway would only last through MY2015 to give KCAP time to ramp up to full transit production. I know Avon Lake is currently or about to start renovating for the new 650 and 750

Cutaway and chassis cab production will continue indefinitely until Ford decides what to do with medium duty market, specifically, what/how to replace the E-450 cutaway and chassis.

The E-series van production will end soon.

Is the commercial van market more profitable than Renal fleets? Similar to the truck market I suppose?

It's profitable but no at all like pickup trucks. With F-series, retail sales accounts for vast majority of the sales in the F-150 level - hence they have become basically luxury cars with big dollar options and ever more high trim level contents.

In vans, fleet accounts for something like 90% of the volume and utility is still key above all else.

Edited by bzcat

that 90 % will decline....the take rate on passenger variants is rather impressive...and those are retail customers...

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more "luxury"/high tech options creep onto the Transit's option sheet if retail numbers improve. I suppose you really could say the same for the Connect too.

@RMC...the passenger variants drive SO much better than the Econoline Clubwagons did/ night and day...plus 3 lengths/ heights and engine choices. Haven't had a diesel to drive yet, but the eco-boost is an animal...ever driven a full size van and jumped out with a grin?....that said, Wards is lambasting Fords 3.2 for mileage....eeek...personally I think Ford should have gone a slightly different route with the diesel and gone larger with more power...but I remain on the fence, take rate will prove its worth if in fact it has any....as for the TC..BIG miscue there IMO, Tataniums only avail with a 2.5 regularly aspirated???? 2.0 eco would have been the ticket.

Edited by Deanh

@RMC...the passenger variants drive SO much better than the Econoline Clubwagons did/ night and day...plus 3 lengths/ heights and engine choices. Haven't had a diesel to drive yet, but the eco-boost is an animal...ever driven a full size van and jumped out with a grin?....that said, Wards is lambasting Fords 3.2 for mileage....eeek...personally I think Ford should have gone a slightly different route with the diesel and gone larger with more power...but I remain on the fence, take rate will prove its worth if in fact it has any....as for the TC..BIG miscue there IMO, Tataniums only avail with a 2.5 regularly aspirated???? 2.0 eco would have been the ticket.

Maybe the 20EB will be added to the TI trim late model 15 or for 16.

I wonder if it's a supply thing - either of engines or Connects period - and that as it becomes more known they can explore further inroads into the retail market with them, but for now, the commercial market is the primary focus, which it rightfully should be, really. It's a perfect opportunity to enter/create a niche market though if they can down the road add a better powertrain and features to make it even more appealing to a retail buyer.

It's profitable but no at all like pickup trucks. With F-series, retail sales accounts for vast majority of the sales in the F-150 level - hence they have become basically luxury cars with big dollar options and ever more high trim level contents.

In vans, fleet accounts for something like 90% of the volume and utility is still key above all else.

So actual sales to businesses, construction companies that actually use them as trucks aren't very profitable? Makes sense I suppose since they're probably buying the cheapo XLs or whatever bottom trim Ford uses nowadays

Hasn't the Ford Transit been the number one van in Great Britain for about as long as the F-series has been number 1 PU in the US? Heck the guys on Top Gear use them for everything including running fast laps at "The Ring" to making one into a hovercraft.

@RMC...the passenger variants drive SO much better than the Econoline Clubwagons did/ night and day...plus 3 lengths/ heights and engine choices.

I have not seen a lot of Transits on the road. The one I did encounter a few months ago, while piloting my 1998 E150 aircraft carrier (Club Wagon), the driver remarked how much better it drove.

... personally I think Ford should have gone a slightly different route with the diesel and gone larger with more power...but I remain on the fence, take rate will prove its worth if in fact it has any....

Ford EU is in charge of diesels The 3.2L was already designed and in production. The only other possible choices was the 4.4L(?) and I suspect that the 5 cylinder costs a LOT less ! Plus, let's get realistic. The "take rate" on diesels is going to be low.

There was nothing wrong the E-series.

I'd like to see Ford build the FWD and AWD version of this van.

The previous generation Transit (not sold in the US) had 2 different front ends. The shorter version was used on FWD (and limited to 4 cylinder engines) and the long nose version which was used on RWD and/or 5 cylinder engines.

IIRC AWD was only available on the short nose versions.

I have not been able to find any current documentation on the non-US Transit short/long nose, East-West, North-South, FWD/RWD/AWD versions.

The potential for a [sWB, low roof] FWD Transit with an Ecoboost 2.3 for large families and businesses that need the space but not load rating of a RWD van.

But, but, but, ... that would make it a minivan and no one in Ford wants to get back into the minivan market after the Freestar and Windstar debacle !

Edited by theoldwizard

I'll take a Transit CA cutout, motorhome prep and Powerstroke please. :)

It is interesting how Ford has convinced the 1/2 ton pickup market that boxed frame with welded thru-hole cross members are the "best" way to make a frame yet, the Transit cut-away uses old fashioned C-channel for the frame and cross members and lots of BIG rivets !

I suspect that it will take another year before you see many Transit based motorhomes.

I took a 10 passenger wagon for a ride, looking to upgrade my e350 in a year or so. It was a low roof, short wheelbase xlt. It is super nice ...

I have been driving an E150 Club Wagon for over 25 years (current version is a 1998). Admittedly, most of the seat time was logged by my wife (the "bus driver"), but I have logged quite a few long distance miles. I still find it a great long trip vehicle.

While the wife absolutely does NOT want another van, I would seriously consider one. A 3.5L EB and AWD would really help seal the deal !

• Like 1

For that matter, most rental sales are not unprofitable either. Sure they get fleet pricing, but most sales are heavily optioned. The issue now is the number of units sold vs retail sales. Having a massive number of slightly used rentals go on the market at a depressed price a year or two later kills resale. Which then kills lease deals on new units, which in turn hurts new sales, which then kills profits.

I rented a 15 Grand Cherokee Limited last week and my eyes almost popped out: leather, panoramic roof, 8.4 inch display, heated (and cooled) front seats, heated rear seats and steering wheel, blind spot, etc etc etc. I was chatting with the guy at Enterprise while we were doing the paperwork and mentioned how when I was younger I was happy to get a rental with a CD player. Now said they pretty much buy them all loaded now.

Hasn't the Ford Transit been the number one van in Great Britain for about as long as the F-series has been number 1 PU in the US? Heck the guys on Top Gear use them for everything including running fast laps at "The Ring" to making one into a hovercraft.

Ford Transit, E-Series and F-Series have all dominated their respective markets for roughly the same time--since the mid 70s.

For that matter, most rental sales are not unprofitable either. Sure they get fleet pricing, but most sales are heavily optioned. The issue now is the number of units sold vs retail sales. Having a massive number of slightly used rentals go on the market at a depressed price a year or two later kills resale.

Ford may not have been the first to do so, but about nine years ago they radically altered their rental repo agreements. Beginning with the Five Hundred, Fusion and Milan, they started mandating rental agencies acquire cars in proportion to the expected retail mix. That is, if 15% of the cars sold to retail were expected to have leather, rental agencies had to acquire 15% leather in their fleet. If they didn't, Ford would not guarantee a repurchase after a year on *any* vehicle the agency purchased, even a well-equipped model.

This did a lot to end stripper models hitting the used lots after a year at less than half the price of well-equipped new models.

Edited by RichardJensen

I have been driving an E150 Club Wagon for over 25 years (current version is a 1998). Admittedly, most of the seat time was logged by my wife (the "bus driver"), but I have logged quite a few long distance miles. I still find it a great long trip vehicle.

While the wife absolutely does NOT want another van, I would seriously consider one. A 3.5L EB and AWD would really help seal the deal !

The AWD is not too far off.....sort of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijkl2THVsBc

The previous generation Transit (not sold in the US) had 2 different front ends. The shorter version was used on FWD (and limited to 4 cylinder engines) and the long nose version which was used on RWD and/or 5 cylinder engines.

IIRC AWD was only available on the short nose versions.

I have not been able to find any current documentation on the non-US Transit short/long nose, East-West, North-South, FWD/RWD/AWD versions.

But, but, but, ... that would make it a minivan and no one in Ford wants to get back into the minivan market after the Freestar and Windstar debacle !

Previous generation AWD Transit was based on the RWD model with longitude engine and high floor because the FWD Transit has low load floor that precludes putting the drive-shaft under the floor.

transit-drivetrain-550x335.png

Also see this site for a brief synopsis: http://www.awdwiki.com/en/ford+europe/#Transit__2006_____

Transit (2006-...)

Automatic all wheel drive. Normally rear wheel drive vehicle. When rear wheels slip, torque is transferred to the front wheels via two multi plate clutches, installed in the front axle - one clutch for each of the front wheels. Each clutch incorporates an Eaton-type oil pump.

ford-transit-x.jpg

The current generation AWD is listed on Ford UK's website. not on sale yet as far as I can tell but during the launch in UK, Ford said it will be available again without collaborating on engine configuration. But one would assume it will be RWD based again.

Edited by bzcat

More detailed info on previous generation Transit AWD: http://www.gizmag.com/go/6198/

The AWD system is purely mechanical and operates automatically so that the driver is not distracted by having to engage the system. In slippery conditions the system simply increases drive to the front wheels, enhancing the vehicle's overall road performance.

Drive is taken off the transmission main shaft via a helical gear set towards the front differential. A system of mechanical multiplate clutches combined with an hydraulic freewheel mechanism feeds power forward when required.

The smooth and intelligently controlled torque flow to the front wheels via the freewheeling hydraulic unit ensures that the Transit's well proven driving dynamics are maintained even under slippery conditions. Standard ground clearance is also retained as a bulky differential housing is not needed with this compact and lightweight AWD system.

Compared with the standard rear wheel drive Transit, the additional front axle weight is just 50 kg – the rear axle weight does not change.

Edited by bzcat