FWD vs AWD

Looking at 2015 or 2016 EXplorer in the future.

I live in the Minneapolis MN cities and deciding if FWD is good enough or AWD.

A saleman brought this up and made me think.

Just wondering on owners view, especially those who live in areas where they get a lot of snow.

Thanks

I would think the resale on a FWD would be nill. Few are going to want it. Unlike years ago, the difference in gas mileage isn't much. The price difference will be regained when sold.

I'm wondering if he has one he's looking to get rid of now.

Edited by rscalzo

But AWD and 4 winter tires would be even better yet, no?

Obviously, but how much better depends on the AWD system and how it works. Winter tires make the biggest difference since they work for both launching, stopping and turning whereas AWD really only helps with launching.

Obviously, but how much better depends on the AWD system and how it works. Winter tires make the biggest difference since they work for both launching, stopping and turning whereas AWD really only helps with launching.

AWD definitely helps with turning if you know how to drive it...step on it to get the front end to pull you around. Also helps with braking as well...engine braking on all four wheels is much better than 2 (Well, I should say that is with 4x4 and not necessarily AWD).

The front end can only pull you around if the front tires have traction. And if the fronts have traction then they'll turn anyway.

Well, not necessarily. If the front end is pushing due to slick road, a little jab of the throttle can 'entice' them to grab and pull the front end around.

Besides, you're from GA. Don't try to give advice for driving on snow. :P :hysterical:

Edited by fordmantpw

Good point. I just stay home. :)

Ha! I normally do too. :)

However, I don't quite understand how adding power to a front wheel that's pushing because it lost grip would cause it to suddenly get grip.

The tread on the tires are normally grooved to give traction in a forward motion better than side to side. Plus, if you can get the tires spinning really fast in a forward direction, there is hope that they will catch and pull you out of a skid. It can chew up the snow in front of the tires and throw it out the back, decreasing the amount of snow in front of the tires that they have to climb over.

Of course, this is a delicate maneuver, because you have to be careful that you don't over correct.

Just trust me, it works. :)

I live in MN and bought a FWD Flex to save on gas and reduce complexity. I put some winter tires on it and I we are good to go. My wife really likes not having to deal with "tire slipping techniques" to turn a corner. The only thing that would cause it to get stuck would be deep snow that would also get an AWD Flex stuck.

But AWD and 4 winter tires would be even better yet, no?

True. But FWD and 4 winter tires will save fuel over AWD.

I admit I have not driven any of Ford's "recent" "part time" AWD systems, but I question how effective they are having to engaged and disengage especially when you have varying driving conditions.

I don't know enough about the design, but I am surprised that there is no way to "fully engage" the Ford AWD system even if if meant also engaging some kind of governor.

Edited by theoldwizard

True. But FWD and 4 winter tires will save fuel over AWD.

I admit I have ot driven any of Ford's "recent" "part time" AWD systems, but I question ow effective they are having to engaged and disengage especially when you have varying drivinng conditions.

I don't know enough about the design, but I am surprised that there is no way to "fully engage" the Ford AWD system even if if meant also engaging some kind of governor.

But, will it save enough fuel to cover the cost of the snow tires and the expenses (and hassles) of getting them mounted/balanced twice a year? Not to mention resale value of the vehicle later? Plus, AWD is nice to have when the weather turns rainy after long periods of dry weather when the road gets slimy and slick. We've talked about going to just FWD with our next vehicle, but to me, the advantages of AWD are worth the costs. Is it necessary? No, but it's one of those niceties I'm willing to pay a bit more for.

IMO, Ford's AWD system is awesome! We have had no issues with our Flex and it goes very well in the snow. The only advantage my Super Duty has over the Flex in the snow is ground clearance. I don't feel there is a need to fully engage AWD...it does a good job of sensing slip and directing power where necessary. It will truly send power to all 4 wheels if necessary compared with the "2 wheel drive" of my 4x4 Super Duty (limited slip sucks in that thing!).

AWD is still great for getting you going and keeping you from being stuck if the front wheels are on ice, regardless of whether it actually helps you in other aspects of driving in snow and ice.

I remember getting my old Ranger stuck in the backyard at our first house because it didn't have limited slip, so basically it was one wheel drive and that one wheel was in the mud. My next Ranger had LSD.

But, will it save enough fuel to cover the cost of the snow tires and the expenses (and hassles) of getting them mounted/balanced twice a year? Not to mention resale value of the vehicle later? Plus, AWD is nice to have when the weather turns rainy after long periods of dry weather when the road gets slimy and slick. We've talked about going to just FWD with our next vehicle, but to me, the advantages of AWD are worth the costs. Is it necessary? No, but it's one of those niceties I'm willing to pay a bit more for.

IMO, Ford's AWD system is awesome! We have had no issues with our Flex and it goes very well in the snow. The only advantage my Super Duty has over the Flex in the snow is ground clearance. I don't feel there is a need to fully engage AWD...it does a good job of sensing slip and directing power where necessary. It will truly send power to all 4 wheels if necessary compared with the "2 wheel drive" of my 4x4 Super Duty (limited slip sucks in that thing!).

You seem to have forgot that going from FWD to AWD costs more than a set of winter tires. Plus with winter tires the summer tires last longer. So net, yes you will save money with FWD and winter tires.

I have also been on icy roads where no one could get going and I motored away in my Focus with Michelin X-Ice XI-3's. Prior to the winter tires that car with normal all seasons was the worst winter car I have ever driven. It was downright scary. The Flex showed almost as much improvement.

You seem to have forgot that going from FWD to AWD costs more than a set of winter tires. Plus with winter tires the summer tires last longer. So net, yes you will save money with FWD and winter tires.

I was taking resale value into account on the AWD, which generally brings back as much as (if not more than) the option costs when new. And don't winter tires cost more and wear faster? And don't you have to pay to mount twice a year?

I'm not disputing the benefit of winter tires, I'm sure they are great. But give me AWD if I had to choose AWD or winter tires and FWD. That is partially due to our climate here in MO, though...we don't get that much snow and nobody here uses snow tires.

IIRC, the new F150 only has an E-Locker LSD option ! Interesting !!

Yes, that is correct. I think the Super Duty is the same now too, but can't remember for sure (and too lazy to look it up right now :)).

I thought the E-locker was only for locking the axles completely and it used the ABS system to brake a spinning wheel to transfer torque to the other side (essentially electronic traction control). But I'm not 100% sure.

The E-locker does lock the axle completely, but it is a true locker. It doesn't use the ABS system, it's an actual mechanical locker that is actuated electrically. It automatically disengages at 25 MPH IIRC.

Sorry. I worded that terribly. This is what I meant to say:

I thought the E-locker was only for locking the axles completely and not to simulate a limited slip. Limited slip functionality uses the ABS system to brake a spinning wheel to transfer torque to the other side (essentially electronic traction control).

I wasn't saying E-locker was used for ETS - I was saying they were different functions.