MKC ignition button recall & Escape/MKC fuel pump

Anthony

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/31/lincoln-mkc-ford-escape-bizarre-recall/

Lincoln is recalling 13,574 units of its 2015 MKC compact crossover in North America to move the location of the push-button ignition switch on the dashboard. According to the automaker's announcement: "Due to the switch's close proximity to other controls, occupants are inadvertently shutting off the engine while driving." The button is located near the bottom of the touchscreen, which can apparently make it possible to hit by mistake.

Edited by Intrepidatious

And another Escape recall (including MKC)...

The second recall covers 12,205 units of the 2014 Ford Escape (2015 model year pictured below) and 2015 Lincoln MKC in North America because of a problem with nickel plating on the fuel pump. The issue can cause the pump to seize, which can cause the crossovers not to start or stall while driving. The automaker is not aware of any accidents or injuries related to this fault. Dealers are replacing the fuel deliver module to fix the situation. Of the affected vehicles, there are 9,038 in the US, 3,074 in Canada and 93 in Mexico. This is the 13th time the Escape has been recalled since its redesign two years ago.

Edited by Intrepidatious

Funny, I had noticed that the start button moved in the newer models. This explains it.

I tried to find a picture showing a difference, but I don't see any. The ones I see show the start/stop button as the last button at the bottom of the transmission gear selection buttons. Where did they move it to?

Edit: I just read that they moved it to the top of the transmission gear selection buttons.

Edited by LincolnV

I guess some people are pulling a Helen Keller and just feeling around as they drive. I would figure the easy remedy would be to hold down the button for 3 seconds to turn it off. Rather then just a simple click.

IIRC correctly, that was a problem with the Lexus and the floor mat sudden acceleration issue. In that situation, waiting three seconds for a press was too long. So I'm guessing that's why Ford went with the single press.

I think they, Lexus, along with a few others, I believe Nissan, implemented the panic "quick tap tap tap" to shut the engine off in an emergency. I'm just not getting how someone can screw it up. I mean, you apply your damn brake, tap "P" to Park it, and while your brake is pressed you can hit the "engine off". Isn't it programmed that to turn off, it must be on "N" or "P"

I tried to find a picture showing a difference, but I don't see any. The ones I see show the start/stop button as the last button at the bottom of the transmission gear selection buttons. Where did they move it to?

Edit: I just read that they moved it to the top of the transmission gear selection buttons.

Yes, the engine start stop button moves from the bottom to the top, to the same location as it is on the MKZ.

There are MKCs on the lots now that already have this revision incorporated at the factory.

I think the push button start operation should be a set standard across all manufactures. If all where the same eventually you will take the unfamiliarity out of the question.

What do you mean by "operation?" Because pushing a button is pretty standard lol.

For instance. Turning on ignition without starting. Or turning off engine while in gear.

some fords you have to push start button twice to get ignition to come on without starting and some you hold button.

If operation was standard across the board would help eliminate panic improper operation or accidental unwanted operation.

i found most people don't open the owners manuals to learn correct operation.

Had a lady call me all pissed off because her explorer with IA wouldnt unlock at times. She said she was concerned for her safety. I asked her why didn't she just use the key inside the remote to open door. After a long pause, she said what key?. I have several occasions put owners manual in passenger seat open to the page they should have read.

Edited by fordtech1

The MKC ignition button was moved from the lowest position to the highest position on the left of the touch screen after Sept 15. My father's MKC was made in October and already has the ignition button relocated to the top of the transmission buttons.

The original placement of the start button is exactly where you would position your thumb if you are changing the radio station on the touch screen with your index finger. So you can see why people can accidentally turn off their cars.

2015-lincoln-mkc-interior-detail2-600-00

Edited by bzcat