2.7L Eco boast for the 4WD Exployer?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I test drove a 3.5L AWD Explorer yesterday - I couldn't have been more underwhelmed, I floored it and really couldn't tell - though it did make a lot of noise. I own a Honda Odyssey now and a '99 4x4 F150, am looking to combine the two with one vehicle with AWD / 4x4. My Odyssey with it's 3.5L which lists lower HP and torque, would absolutely run away from the Explorer, without a question no contest.

And while the Explorer looks huge from the outside the difference in storage is immense. Sure i get the Odyssey has a lower floor, etc. I'll have to look at Expedition / Tahoe / perhaps a Pilot.

Edited by meyeste

I test drove a 3.5L AWD Explorer yesterday - I couldn't have been more underwhelmed, I floored it and really couldn't tell - though it did make a lot of noise.

Yep, all that "ground hugging weight". For its size, it is far over weight. It needs the aluminum diet. The new Edge is now lightweight either.

And while the Explorer looks huge from the outside the difference in storage is immense. Sure i get the Odyssey has a lower floor, etc. I'll have to look at Expedition / Tahoe / perhaps a Pilot.

Another "pet peeve" about the Explorer. No removable 3rd row seat. Oh, and the 3rd row is meant for kids under 12 !

Expedition, especially the EL model, are nice except for fuel economy. At least the 3rd row will seat adults under 5'6" in reasonable comfort. It could also use an aluminum diet.

Edited by theoldwizard

I test drove a 3.5L AWD Explorer yesterday - I couldn't have been more underwhelmed, I floored it and really couldn't tell - though it did make a lot of noise. I own a Honda Odyssey now and a '99 4x4 F150, am looking to combine the two with one vehicle with AWD / 4x4. My Odyssey with it's 3.5L which lists lower HP and torque, would absolutely run away from the Explorer, without a question no contest.

Doubt your seat of the pants acceleration tests would hold up in the real world. FWD Honda Odyssey and 2WD Ford Explorer pretty close in acceleration tests. In fact this site shows the FWD Explorer is quite a bit faster!

http://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/honda-0-60-mph-times/ 2011-2014 FWD Honda Odyssey 7.3 - 7.8 seconds

http://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/ford-0-60-mph-times/ 2011 FWD Explorer 0-60 6.5 seconds

What you feel is not necessarily what is real. My ski buddy has a 2014 XLT 3.5 AWD Explorer 6 speed transmission - that thing eats up the mountain passes with ease.

Edited by Kev-Mo

Another "pet peeve" about the Explorer. No removable 3rd row seat.

Having owned an Expedition with a removable 3rd seat - that's a huge benefit to have a folding 3rd row rather than a removeable one.

What if you're out somewhere and need to bring something home and you forgot to take out the seat? You're SOL. Not to mention how hard it is to take out and put back in.

Yep, all that "ground hugging weight". For its size, it is far over weight. It needs the aluminum diet. The new Edge is now lightweight either.

Another "pet peeve" about the Explorer. No removable 3rd row seat. Oh, and the 3rd row is meant for kids under 12 !

Expedition, especially the EL model, are nice except for fuel economy. At least the 3rd row will seat adults under 5'6" in reasonable comfort. It could also use an aluminum diet.

Curb weight of the Explorer is competitive with other similar vehicles

http://www.aras360.com/resources/vehicle-specs-database.html

My comment does not mean it isn't heavy, it means not just Ford but everyone is suffering from bloat by loading features that consumers want.