2015 Expedition 2.7L

ajvolpe

And most likely a "baseline" motor available with two wheel drive units only...

Will the F150 2.7L EB be offered with 4WD? If so then no reason for Expy not to offer it too.

Edit: looks like it's only available on the shorter wheelbase F150s, not the longer wheelbase models so I agree it would probably be 2WD only on the Expy.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

Will the F150 2.7L EB be offered with 4WD? If so then no reason for Expy not to offer it too.

Edit: looks like it's only available on the shorter wheelbase F150s, not the longer wheelbase models so I agree it would probably be 2WD only on the Expy.

The 2.7L is available on crew cab 5.5' and super cab 6.5'. It's really going to be a mainstream engine. I see no reason it won't be available on all (except maybe very top of the line as they will come standard with the 3.5L) Expeditions in the future.

The 2.7L is available on crew cab 5.5' and super cab 6.5'. It's really going to be a mainstream engine. I see no reason it won't be available on all (except maybe very top of the line as they will come standard with the 3.5L) Expeditions in the future.

Except the Expedition would be much closer to a crew cab F150 with the longer bed. There must be a reason they don't offer it with 4WD on the longer bad supercrew - and I assume that's weight, therefore the Expy would be similarly excluded due to weight.

Except the Expedition would be much closer to a crew cab F150 with the longer bed. There must be a reason they don't offer it with 4WD on the longer bad supercrew - and I assume that's weight, therefore the Expy would be similarly excluded due to weight.

Well, the extra 1' of bed doesn't add but a couple hundred pounds to the truck, so it's not a 'weight of the truck' issue. The main reason it isn't available there is the thought that those trucks are going to be hauling more and used more heavily than the regular length beds. The thought is that those trucks will be loaded down more regularly. That won't be an issue with the Expy.

IIRC, the 2.7L availability doesn't change based on 4x2 vs. 4x4.

Well, the extra 1' of bed doesn't add but a couple hundred pounds to the truck, so it's not a 'weight of the truck' issue. The main reason it isn't available there is the thought that those trucks are going to be hauling more and used more heavily than the regular length beds. The thought is that those trucks will be loaded down more regularly. That won't be an issue with the Expy.

IIRC, the 2.7L availability doesn't change based on 4x2 vs. 4x4.

2.7L V6 EcoBoost® with Start/Stop System (NA on 4x4 with 157” or 163.7” WB)

– Standard on 4x2 with 157" or 163.7" WB

Any other theories you want to grasp at? :)

2.7L V6 EcoBoost® with Start/Stop System (NA on 4x4 with 157” or 163.7” WB)

– Standard on 4x2 with 157" or 163.7" WB

Any other theories you want to grasp at? :)

OK, so I didn't remember correctly! :)

The only place it isn't available is 4x4 versions of the 8' bed SuperCab and 6.5' bed SuperCrew.

It is standard on the 4x2 versions of those two.

It is available on the 4x4 versions of the shorter bed.

My point still stands...it's not based on weight that it is not available in the 4x4 versions of those 2 wheel bases since the longer bed only adds a couple hundred lbs.

My point still stands...it's not based on weight that it is not available in the 4x4 versions of those 2 wheel bases since the longer bed only adds a couple hundred lbs.

You can't say that it's not weight (even though it's only a couple hundred pounds) unless you can come up with some other reasonable explanation.

I just thought of a scenario where 200 lbs would matter and that's CAFE. I know in cars there are weight thresholds and crossing into a higher weight threshold is bad. That's why you see strange option combinations in some cases.

I remember back in 2000 Lincoln discontinued the subwoofers and rear headrests from the V8 sport package LS models just to keep it under the weight threshold.

Not sure if trucks have the same issue but that would be a reasonable explanation.

You can't say that it's not weight (even though it's only a couple hundred pounds) unless you can come up with some other reasonable explanation.

I just thought of a scenario where 200 lbs would matter and that's CAFE. I know in cars there are weight thresholds and crossing into a higher weight threshold is bad. That's why you see strange option combinations in some cases.

I remember back in 2000 Lincoln discontinued the subwoofers and rear headrests from the V8 sport package LS models just to keep it under the weight threshold.

Not sure if trucks have the same issue but that would be a reasonable explanation.

I still think that it is intended use of the truck (post #9 stated my other explanation :)). 4x4 long wheelbase trucks have a tendency to be loaded down and in use more often than others.

But, you do bring up a very good point. Maybe adding 4x4 in those models brings the fuel economy of the 2.7L down just a fraction and keeps the overall average for that motor down 1 MPG. Maybe? That slight bit may be just enough.