LED Vanity Mirror Lights

rp2388

So I decided I'd take a crack at replacing the vanity mirror lights that come stock with LEDs. It's a simple swap. Just take a skinny flat head screwdriver, pop off the light cover from the bottom right off-center, and replace the light. The vanity's use the fuse style bulbs so if you are wondering, that's what's used. I added pics below to show the bulbs and comparison.

That looks like a clean and simple mod. Any idea if the overheard lights can be swapped out? I think they're already LED, but I'd like something colder in temperature.

The overhead LED's are soldered into the the housing and swapping them wouldn't be a simple plug and play. I think there was another thread on here about that with some pictures. So unless you're down to do some soldering, I'd say swapping the dome lights is out of the question.

• 3 weeks later...

Cool, I didnt think about those lights. Would you mind posting the bulb size/type and maybe where you got yours?

The bulb size is synonymous with the type. As far as I know, they are just fuse-type bulbs. I originally got a set from Amazon from here

http://www.amazon.com/Classy-Autos-BRIGHT-Vanity-Mirror/dp/B0061TU2JS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415678022&sr=8-1&keywords=led+fuse+bulb

The pics I have are from those bulbs but I thought the light was a bit too blue to match with the rest of the car's interior lighting and it made them feel out of place so I bought a new set of 5k LEDs from VLEDS (link below). They're a bit more expensive but are far better matching and give a nearly perfect white light. One thing to note if you're gonna do this swap is that the LEDs are a lot brighter than the stock bulbs so putting them straight on might be overpowering. I got around that by just rotating the bulbs 90 degrees.

5k LEDs (the listing is for a single bulb so you will need to purchase 4 to swap out both sets of mirrors):

http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/vanity-led/5k-white-hi-power-3-chip-2-led-vanity-sun-visor-light-bulb.html

i actually ordered those same ones earlier today off amazon after doing some research. however, I just put in for a cancellation after reading what you said about the blue. :) not sure if the order will cancel but we will see.

I'd rather not have the blueish light either so I am going to go for the vled ones. Also i just realized I only ordered one pair off of amazon anyway..haha.

Thanks for the reply. Have you replaced your puddle lamps or done any other small visual improvements like this?

• Like 1

i actually ordered those same ones earlier today off amazon after doing some research. however, I just put in for a cancellation after reading what you said about the blue. :) not sure if the order will cancel but we will see.

I'd rather not have the blueish light either so I am going to go for the vled ones. Also i just realized I only ordered one pair off of amazon anyway..haha.

Thanks for the reply. Have you replaced your puddle lamps or done any other small visual improvements like this?

Here is a list of my replacements thus far:

1. Sharkfin antenna

2. License Plate LED swap

3. Reverse LED swap

I still want to do the puddle light and and HID swap but I'll need more time for those.

also, when you get the bulbs, they are polarity sensitive so if they don't turn on when you test the leads, just flip the bulb around. Since you bought a set of the amazon ones, you might have a chance to compare the two different bulbs to see what I'm talking about.