Test Drive: 2015 Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon

Bryan1

HELL, MICH..-- Smaller, but not too small. Cheaper, but not cheap. More fuel efficient but not really gas-saving green machines

They didn't give us the ah-ha moment we expected, but that could be a case of too-high expectations.

Inside space, OK. Interior refinement, not so hot, except high-end models such as GMC Canyon SLT. Seats aren't the most comfy, but the SLT's are an exception. All the same under the upholstery, GM says, so should feel about the same. Not to us.

The GMC high-end Canyon SLT with V-6 and 4x4 in particular is a nice-looking, sweet-driving vehicle. But it is about $40,000. Maybe nowadays that's a bargain, when nicely equipped full-size trucks are $50,000 or $60,000, but it seems pretty stiff.

Fine, fine. But at least for the prices being charged, they must be decked out nicely. Not always. The GMC SLT is, but the Chevy LT isn't. It has all the stuff you want, but unpleasantly presented. Our main test vehicle was drearily monochrome gray inside. The plastics had the look and feel of cheap brittleness; a paucity of the soft-tough surfaces buyers seem to like these days.

Well, geez. Surely the mileage part is a big improvement. Yes, with reservations. The four-cylinder, regular cab, rear-wheel drive Colorado returned 23.4 mpg on winding, two-lane country roads, typically running 50 mph or so, with intermittent wide-open throttle (because it's fun).

The GMC SLT 4x4 with V-6 delivered 20.9. But the Chevy 4x4, V-6 was at 18 mpg. Our experience is that a full-size 4x4 truck could do that well

Other gripes? Sure. To configure the crew-cab's back seat for cargo, you fold down the back, which then rests flat on the seat cushion. That makes a high platform for lifting your way-too-heavy suitcase or the mega-pumpkin from the greenhouse.

The other GM assertion, that Colorado/Canyon will eat into Toyota Tacoma sales, seems part fair claim and part wishful thinking. A $38,000 Tacoma crew-cab was on hand here for comparison, and it didn't seem too bad.

Colorado and Canyon seem credible, capable and, on high-end models, fairly comfortable and refined. But we didn't walk away feeling we'd been to right-size, right-price truck nirvana.

Overall: Good trucks, but less satisfying and more-expensive than we hoped.

More at the link: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/columnist/healey/2014/10/16/test-drive-2015-chevrolet-coloradogmc-canyon-solid-machines/17373591/

I am far from a Chevy fan, but I saw one of these on the road. It was a dark metallic grey. I have to say it looked good from what I saw. Sounds like the only reason you buy one of these over a full size is its size. You can't park a big boy truck so you buy a baby truck. Price, fuel economy, no reasonable benefit.

They are cool trucks and make sense for someone that wants a pickup, but doesn't want to deal with the big size of current full size models. How well they do in the market remains to be seen. Still it's nice to see that there is a modern choice in the midsize market because everything else is pretty mediocre. I never say this much, but I wish GM good luck with these and maybe we will see more choices in the future.

Edited by 2005Explorer

I think they will sell. Even if its a surge at first and dies out. They will sell. Its a new truck. Americans love trucks.

Of course they'll sell. Not huge numbers but decent.

But most of those sales will come at the expense of Silvererra which will reduce net profit. Given how much they invested in an almost new platform and two different tophats I don't see how they can possibly make money.

Then again GM has never been one to worry about such trivial matters.

• Like 1

But most of those sales will come at the expense of Silvererra which will reduce net profit.

Colorado/Canyon is in a completely different market segment that Silverado/Sierra. Target customers are more likely to be owners of previous generation GM small and midsize pickups, or of competitors like Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier.

It's about time that a new entrant came into this segment, and IHS Automotive predicts that it should grow to 300k units per year in 2017. GM's assembly plant in Wentzville, Missouri is humming with activity as it ramps up to meet initial demand for Colorado/Canyon.

Different TARGET market, yes, but being that there is not much of a distinct advantage between canyorado and silverrera, you are bound to cannibalize. If nothing else, there is the crowd of people who HAVE to have whatever is brand new when they probably would have bought a silverado or Sierra instead.

If you don't think Canyorado will steal Silvererra sales you're dreaming. These aren't the really small Ranger/S-10 sized pickups. They're just a tiny bit smaller than full-sized trucks and the only advantage is being able to park the smaller versions in a standard garage (maybe).

I don't see anything that would sway a Tacoma buyer. Maybe a few Ranger fans.

They would have been better off just bringing in the ROW model with minimal changes and a single tophat. At least that would have kept development costs down. Unless they have other vehicles planned for this platform I don't see the payback.

Growing from 250K to 300K/year means only 50K bump for the Canyorado. Factoring in lost Silvererra sales and profits I'm guessing no more than a 25K/year net increase. Hard to justify.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't imagine that this vehicle would eat into Tacoma sales very much.

I can, heavily marketed vs. Tacoma which has next to no marketing behind it. Also, 'Murica, which I'm sure will also help to drive sales a little bit too. The buying public which will look to buy will take that into consideration.

I can, heavily marketed vs. Tacoma which has next to no marketing behind it. Also, 'Murica, which I'm sure will also help to drive sales a little bit too. The buying public which will look to buy will take that into consideration.

The Tacoma is built in Texas, so it's pretty 'Murica already. There is a reason that the Tacoma doesn't need a giant ad budget. It sells well on its own already, without much advertising and without needing rebates. If you start seeing commercials and rebates, well you might have raised their eyebrow.

That ship sailed years ago...I'm guessing that the people who still care about this issue aren't buying any Toyotas in the first place. The distinction people have been making over the past few years has been manufacturers that needed a bailout versus those who didn't, and even that issue is fading. My gut instinct tells me that GM had better not be depending on conquest sales from the Tacoma.

They'll sell a bunch of them.......to folks who would have otherwise bought a Silvererra.

Sales of Silverado and Sierra were up significantly both last month and YTD compared to the same periods in 2013, and Colorado/Canyon sales are picking up (pun intended) as deliveries of the new 2015 models commence.

Once again, full size pickup trucks have a different customer base than midsize trucks. There's plenty of opportunity in these segments for automakers. GM, Toyota, and Nissan are smart to offer products in both - all three have seen substantial increases in pickup truck sales for the first 10 months of 2014 compared to the previous year.

Edited by aneekr

The Tacoma is built in Texas, so it's pretty 'Murica already. There is a reason that the Tacoma doesn't need a giant ad budget. It sells well on its own already, without much advertising and without needing rebates. If you start seeing commercials and rebates, well you might have raised their eyebrow.

Most of the Tacoma production (or at least the deck/bed portion) is from Tijuana, Mexico, however Toyota lumps those and Texas built together as "North American" produced vehicles Their customers believe they are 'American' but they are simply Japanese trucks assembled in Mexico, or possibly Texas.

Edited by Kev-Mo