Replacing Cabin Air Filter.......you have to be kidding me !!!!

Dave-S

I wonder what engineering genius decided on this design?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6p82rB22y0

That design is wrong on so many levels it isn't even funny. Not only do they make it difficult to get to the filter there is a huge risk of breaking clips and parts as your doing it. And as the car gets older and those plastic parts and clips get brittle, the risk increases even more.

So guess what I will be doing after my car is a year old...............removing the air filter and not replacing it at all. I have managed to survive quite a few decades without "filtered air" that I just don't see any point in having one if you have to go thru this gyration every time.

If checking the filter were a simple job, then it would also be easy to recommend to the customer to change it more frequently. Make it hard to check, and all they can do is recommend you change it at certain intervals and (I imagine) that isn't exactly cheap at the dealership when you consider both the parts and labor cost.

If checking the filter were a simple job, then it would also be easy to recommend to the customer to change it more frequently. Make it hard to check, and all they can do is recommend you change it at certain intervals and (I imagine) that isn't exactly cheap at the dealership when you consider both the parts and labor cost.

Dealer = $90.

Well someone obviously made it that difficult whether it was done overseas or over here.

I just meant that I don't think they made it hard on purpose - it was just something they didn't have time to fix on the new platform.

Let's see what happens on the new Edge - that one was engineered off the same platform but they should have time to fix that if they wanted to.

Motorcraft air filter at Rock Auto = $11.92

That's where I got mine too -- I was concerned about how complicated/difficult it was gonna be so following the procedures in the youtube video I think it took me 18 minutes on my car. But then immediately after that I replaced the filter on my wife's car and the unknowns were gone, and this time it took about 8-10 minutes. Instead of detaching the glove box light and removing the glove box I just pulled the glove box out and rested it on my shins (wiring harness still connected) as I sat in the seat and still had room to access/replace the filter, with the only real PITA being laying down to get to those two screws underneath the dash that hold the glove box in place.

• 2 weeks later...

That's where I got mine too -- I was concerned about how complicated/difficult it was gonna be so following the procedures in the youtube video I think it took me 18 minutes on my car.................

Thanks Jeff, doesn't seem all that bad................

Bet it wasn't any engineering choice, more like "here's the space you have left to put it".

• Like 1

Could one of you kindly put up the specific model/type of cabin air filter I need?

From rockauto.com:

2013 FORD FUSION 2.0L L4 Turbocharged : Heat & Air Conditioning :

Cabin Air Filter

MOTORCRAFT Part # FP71 {#DG9Z19N619A} $11.60

WIX Part # WP10084 $15.51

Edited by jeff_h

I still don't classify the job as "easy" but it's also not hard. My Hyundai Sonata was easy. It required no tools and about five minutes worth of effort.

My big concern going forward is breakage of parts as the car gets older. You cant' just be yanking a major trim piece like that front vent trim piece and expect it not to break or be damaged after doing it a few dozen times.

This is still a really poor design in my opinion.

I still don't classify the job as "easy" but it's also not hard. My Hyundai Sonata was easy. It required no tools and about five minutes worth of effort.

My big concern going forward is breakage of parts as the car gets older. You cant' just be yanking a major trim piece like that front vent trim piece and expect it not to break or be damaged after doing it a few dozen times.

This is still a really poor design in my opinion.

Definitely agree with you on the part breakage...one of the bendable elbows that keeps the cover over the filter was already broken and this was my FIRST time even going into that compartment. That being said, everything is additionally held in by screws so if those break it's not a huge deal.

My biggest worry is the tabs keeping the glove compartment/AC cover attached to the front panel. However, those things are coming off whether I do it or whether the Ford tech who is rushing to get through a 15 car service line does it...I'd personally rather do it with care, and save money in the process.

Definitely agree with you on the part breakage...one of the bendable elbows that keeps the cover over the filter was already broken and this was my FIRST time even going into that compartment. That being said, everything is additionally held in by screws so if those break it's not a huge deal.

My biggest worry is the tabs keeping the glove compartment/AC cover attached to the front panel. However, those things are coming off whether I do it or whether the Ford tech who is rushing to get through a 15 car service line does it...I'd personally rather do it with care, and save money in the process.

Agreed................there is no way i would let a Ford Tech do the job especially if they break something, don't report it, and it is hidden from view.

Edited by Dave-S

• 1 year later...

Gunna revive an old thread,

This your friendly reminder to change your cabin filter. My car has 45k miles and this is what the filter looked like when I pulled it out today.

It's super easy if you watch the tutorials on youtube a time or two before. I found a, I believe it was, 9/16 socket to work the best for the screws. All in all it took me 20 minutes start to finish. Just take your time.

post-55479-0-86104800-1463454845_thumb.jpg

post-55479-0-65306400-1463454850_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi all , just did mine , the cabin filter pending where you live ( trees etc.) may need semi-annual changing to maintain good air flow it should be more accessible .

Made my own filter out of HVAC polyester pre filter material layered to fill the filter compartment. The old filter was twice as blocked as @showstopr30 pictured.

Edited by hekix