2015 Motor Trend SUV of the Year - Honda CR-V?

jasonj80

Supposedly engine and chassis improvements. I'm not sure what the competition would be - Escape, Forrester, Cherokee, RAV4 aren't updated for 2015 so they wouldn't be eligible.

2015 Edge? Or is it not out soon enough I guess? I just find it hard to believe there isn't another new SUV/crossover out there that is more revised than the CR-V? Apparently not. (I've not done any research).

2015 Edge? Or is it not out soon enough I guess? I just find it hard to believe there isn't another new SUV/crossover out there that is more revised than the CR-V? Apparently not. (I've not done any research).

It's not even in production yet - only pre-production prototypes are available so it's not eligible.

That's the problem with OTY awards - they only consider vehicles that are new or significantly updated so that really narrows the field and it completely ignores existing vehicles that may be way better than the OTY winner.

Motor Trend 2015 SUV of the Year will be announced in the publication's December 2014 issue. New or significantly redesigned models available by Q4 2014 include Audi Q3, BMW X4, BMW X6, Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet Tahoe/Suburban, Ford Expedition, GMC Yukon/XL, Honda CR-V, Lexus NX, Lincoln MKC, Lincoln Navigator, Mercedes-Benz GLA, Nissan Murano, Porsche Macan, Subaru Outback, and Volvo XC60.

Edited by aneekr

Seems like plenty of bettee candidates than the (seemingly) mildly revised CR-V.

I totally forgot about the MKC! I don't see how it could be the CR-V either given the other candidates. And yes, I understand how it works relative to advertising but even then there are limitations.

We should all be content in knowing an 'American' company won the award. That's right, according to my neighbors who own Hondas and wave American flags on their front lawns. It's 'Honda of America'....not 'Honda of Japan...so they are happy to be spending their $30,000 on an American Company!!! :(

We should all be content in knowing an 'American' company won the award. That's right, according to my neighbors who own Hondas and wave American flags on their front lawns. It's 'Honda of America'....not 'Honda of Japan...so they are happy to be spending their $30,000 on an American Company!!! :(

Your neighbors are correct. The coordinating entity for Honda's operations in North America, HNA, has offices in Torrance, Calif., Marysville, Ohio, Detroit, Mich., New York City, and Washington, D.C. Automobiles designed, engineered, and manufactured by Honda's North American business units have some of the highest levels of domestic content in the industry.

Automobiles designed, engineered, and manufactured by Honda's North American business units have some of the highest levels of domestic content in the industry.

Based on rather crude estimates of domestic content. If I bolt together two pieces of stuff made in East Timor, the resultant product, if I sell it to Honda, becomes US content.

Based on rather crude estimates of domestic content. If I bolt together two pieces of stuff made in East Timor, the resultant product, if I sell it to Honda, becomes US content.

The bottom line is that Honda - and BMW, Hyundai, Mercedes, Nissan, Toyota and VW - design, engineer and assemble vehicles in this country, and this is a good thing for the national economy. And the competitive pressure they have put on the notoriously insular Big Three has resulted in dramatically improved vehicles from each one.

Edited by grbeck

I wonder if Ford is considered a German company in Germany.

To a large extent, yes. I know that my German relatives were always quick to point out that European Fords were quite different than American Fords (and that they considered the European ones to be better).

To a large extent, yes. I know that my German relatives were always quick to point out that European Fords were quite different than American Fords (and that they considered the European ones to be better).

Of course they do. They think that anything made in Germany is better. They've always looked down on American made cars. That perception isn't always accurate.

The bottom line is that Honda - and BMW, Hyundai, Mercedes, Nissan, Toyota and VW - design, engineer and assemble vehicles in this country, and this is a good thing for the national economy. And the competitive pressure they have put on the notoriously insular Big Three has resulted in dramatically improved vehicles from each one.

What you're saying is not inaccurate, but it is folly to rely on domestic content to establish that point.

Your point is a good one, and I acknowledge the American Automobile Labeling Act (AALA) is rife with issues. Not the least of which is that over twenty years after it was passed, Canadian content is counted as domestic, but content from Mexico isn't despite the passage of NAFTA in 1994. Nevertheless, AALA is one of the metrics used by automakers and regulatory agencies in the U.S. market to establish the extent to which a particular passenger car or light truck (8,500 lbs. GVWR or less) is considered domestic. It is what it is.

Anyway, the domestic nature of certain Honda automobiles goes beyond the AALA numbers. More importantly, American Honda has long had complete product creation capability in North America - meaning they have the resources to conduct all market research, design, engineering, testing, and assembly activities for a new vehicle solely at American facilities.

Incidentally, Motor Trend announced the winner of 2015 Motor Trend SUV of the Year:

LINK

Edited by aneekr

Absolute BS. The Suburban is a finalist but the Escalade and Yukon aren't?

And this gem about the MKC:

The MKC's exterior design, a blend of Lincoln heritage, Audi Q5, and Escape, received mostly rave reviews. MacKenzie, "Exterior styling is mature and pleasant. The wing grille stays the right side of parody, and the Audi Q5-style rear hatch (same style of cutlines to the side) gives the rear end graphic a broad, expansive stance." Loh added: "Exterior is stunning. Best modern Lincoln styling to date." Still, in profile, the MKC's A-pillar, wheelbase, and proportions suggest the downmarket Escape. To that end, the radically penned Lexus NX does a better job concealing its fundamental roots (RAV4).

Translation: Ford wouldn't pay us so we had to make up something bad to say.

• Like 1

Absolute BS. The Suburban is a finalist but the Escalade and Yukon aren't?

And this gem about the MKC:

Translation: Ford wouldn't pay us so we had to make up something bad to say.

Clearly they need to get their eyes checked.

I don't see why people are so enamored with that NX....I think it's hideous.