2015 F150 Towing and Payload Numbers

http://www.off-road.com/blog/2014/09/29/ford-announces-2015-f-150-available-for-early-test-drives/

Class leading as expected.

Now we just need to know hp/tq and MPG.

2.7-liter EcoBoost® V6 with standard Auto Start-Stop: New engine design produces 325 horsepower and 375 lb.-ft. of torque. The 2.7-liter EcoBoost 4×2 has a maximum payload rating of 2,250 pounds and maximum tow rating of 8,500 pounds – ideal for meeting mid-range capability requirements and the needs of more than 90 percent of light-duty truck customers
- 3.5-liter EcoBoost: This twin-turbo EcoBoost engine delivers V8-like 420 lb.-ft. of torque and 365 horsepower to enable towing of up to 12,200 pounds – more than enough to handle a fully loaded, three-horse trailer or large boat. It has earned an industry-leading maximum payload rating of 3,180 pounds
- 5.0-liter V8 with twin independent variable camshaft timing: Improved power and efficiency, delivering 385 horsepower and 387 lb.-ft. of torque. Smart engineering enhancements such as a new long-runner intake manifold, revised intake cam duration and new pulse-separated exhaust manifolds help raise towing capability by 1,100 pounds to a maximum 11,100 pounds, and payload to 3,300 pounds
- 3.5-liter V6 with twin independent variable camshaft timing: This engine produces 283 horsepower and 255 lb.-ft. of torque. It has a maximum payload of 1,910 pounds and maximum tow rating of 7,600 pounds – unsurpassed for standard V6 light-duty pickup trucks

Also of interest they are doing pre-release test drives that you can sign up for at www.F150drive.com. The site wasn't working when I tried, but I was able to see it via Google cache. I did one of these when they released the 3.5 EB a few years ago.

The hp/tq numbers are right in the section you quoted.

I'm a bit shocked the numbers stayed the same on the 3.5EB. HP is up 20 on the 5.0, but didn't it have 390 ft-lbs before? So down 3?

At any rate, those numbers are impressive! And they are using the SAE standard, so none of this 'Ford inflates their towing numbers' BS! I'm beginning to wonder if this truck would work for towing my 9-9.5k lb (loaded) fifth wheel...

• Like 1

The hp/tq numbers are right in the section you quoted.

I didn't notice that. The headlines have been all about the towing/payload so I whipped right over that.

It is interesting that now the 5.0 is the HP leader. I was hoping the 3.5EB would get the Navigator tune, so the carryover numbers for the 3.5EB are a little disappointing.

do we know if the bump in 5.0 power is on 93 octane? I haven't seen an * next to any published numbers.

I'm sure the 3.5EB makes Lincoln power on 93 octane.

Fordman, the old 5.0 was rated 360/380. So a bump all around.

Edited by Hydro

Who cares about the hp? It's all about the torque.....

To a certain extent. Have you seen the video comparing the Ram EcoDiesel to the 2.7L EcoBoost?

Torque is the measure of how much work you can do. HP is the measure of how fast you can get that work done.

Personally, I was hoping for about 385/440 out of the 3.5L EB. Granted, 365/420 is plenty for a 'half ton' truck.

To a certain extent. Have you seen the video comparing the Ram EcoDiesel to the 2.7L EcoBoost?

Torque is the measure of how much work you can do. HP is the measure of how fast you can get that work done.

Let me rephrase that - unless you're doing WOT acceleration runs, hp isn't that important in a truck. Look at the 6.7L diesel - 800 lb/ft but 400 hp.

HP is only a big deal above 5K rpm.

Can you post a link to the video? I'd like to see that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1mBaEu-DVU

Let me rephrase that - unless you're doing WOT acceleration runs, hp isn't that important in a truck. Look at the 6.7L diesel - 800 lb/ft but 400 hp.

HP is only a big deal above 5K rpm.

440/860 on the 6.7L now. :)

Really, what you want is a healthy dose of both. Too much of one and not enough of the other doesn't make a good towing experience. The great thing about the EB is the broad power band as opposed to many diesels.

The towing and payload numbers look great. This truck will be well suitable for the many like myself that have smaller gooseneck/5th wheels. My trailer for instance has a max towing weight of 10,500. The limiting factor for 1/2 ton trucks in the past have been the payload as the goosnecks and 5th wheels put a lot more weight on the truck than a standard trailer. This has me very interested....

HOWEVER, what doesn't have me interested is the price. I specked out a decently loaded (not fully equiped by any means) XLT with the max tow/payload option - 4X4, 4 door 6.5 foot box, 3.5 ecoboost. I optioned it with the myford touch screen as well. Priced over 50 K. Actually 51K and change.

I then speced out a well equiped Ram 3/4 ton SLT. The SLT and XLT are comparable models. The Ram I speced had an 8 inch screen with a camera that shows the bed (helpful when hooking up the goosneck), 4X4, 4 door 6.5 foot bed. I also had a cummins 6.7 diesel speced on this truck. The Ford had many more options that I didn't pick like Blis etc. The RAM had most options checked. Price for the Ram... a shade under 50K at $49,750. For the most part, the specs were just about the same, except big difference in engines 3.5 turbo gas vs a 6.7 turbo diesel and the Ram was a 3/4 ton.

So for me, even though I am exicted over the new Ford F150 and hope it does well, I wouldn't buy one when it is priced more than a Cummins Diesel RAM. I bet the Ram makes just as good gas mileage (albeit more spendy with the diesel) as the Ford max payload model as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Chester

The towing and payload numbers look great. This truck will be well suitable for the many like myself that have smaller gooseneck/5th wheels. My trailer for instance has a max towing weight of 10,500. The limiting factor for 1/2 ton trucks in the past have been the payload as the goosnecks and 5th wheels put a lot more weight on the truck than a standard trailer. This has me very interested....

HOWEVER, what doesn't have me interested is the price. I specked out a decently loaded (not fully equiped by any means) XLT with the max tow/payload option - 4X4, 4 door 6.5 foot box, 3.5 ecoboost. I optioned it with the myford touch screen as well. Priced over 50 K. Actually 51K and change.

I then speced out a well equiped Ram 3/4 ton SLT. The SLT and XLT are comparable models. The Ram I speced had an 8 inch screen with a camera that shows the bed (helpful when hooking up the goosneck), 4X4, 4 door 6.5 foot bed. I also had a cummins 6.7 diesel speced on this truck. The Ford had many more options that I didn't pick like Blis etc. The RAM had most options checked. Price for the Ram... a shade under 50K at $49,750. For the most part, the specs were just about the same, except big difference in engines 3.5 turbo gas vs a 6.7 turbo diesel and the Ram was a 3/4 ton.

So for me, even though I am exicted over the new Ford F150 and hope it does well, I wouldn't buy one when it is priced more than a Cummins Diesel RAM. I bet the Ram makes just as good gas mileage (albeit more spendy with the diesel) as the Ford max payload model as well.

Just my 2 cents.

you should probably spec out aN F250 as well......

Edited by Deanh

Just my 2 cents.

based on your #'s you also specd the 302a Luxury package....which includes a bunch of std items that I doubt are even avail on the Ram....

Edited by Deanh

you should pronbably spec out aN F250 as well......

DId. An mid level (value package XLT F 250) speced as close to the Ram as possible is 53-54k. Can go a bit higher. HOWEVER, you cannot get MyFord Touch on an XLT (seriously Ford?). To get MyFord, you need to move up to a Lariat which is several thousand higher. I priced them out at dealers as well. That Ram I quoted above (listed around 50K) sells for about 41-42K. The Ford at dealers I priced are 5K more, and have less standard features. I love Ford, just not the current pricing. Getting to damn much money for a Truck.

302a package with sport package has a 2000 discount package...

You can't get the sport package with the heavy payload package. IN fact you can't even get the Chrome package with the heavy duty package. The heavy duty package adds a couple K to the price. I did add a few stuff to my speced XLT, like a spray in bed liner (that I also added on the Ram). I tried to keep them as comparable as possible..

I'd pay $5K more for a Ford over a Dodge every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

If Ford can sell 60K/month at current prices then why would they lower the price?

I would have agreed with you 5-10-20 years ago, but the new Rams are sharp. The interiors are better than the current interior in the Superduty Fords (not sure they will last as long, but they do have a nicer look and feel to them). Engine is solid. Pretty refined truck overall.

DId. An mid level (value package XLT F 250) speced as close to the Ram as possible is 53-54k. Can go a bit higher. HOWEVER, you cannot get MyFord Touch on an XLT (seriously Ford?). To get MyFord, you need to move up to a Lariat which is several thousand higher. I priced them out at dealers as well. That Ram I quoted above (listed around 50K) sells for about 41-42K. The Ford at dealers I priced are 5K more, and have less standard features. I love Ford, just not the current pricing. Getting to damn much money for a Truck.

its one of my gripes as well, the ever increasing MSRP's, but its the way it is, also realize the 2015 F-150 prices ( disregarding Fords BS of "its only going up $495 ) that perhaps the higher MSRPs are reflective of a superior, higher tech product. Also realize the 1/2 ton pickups are definitely a more lifestyle oriented rather than workhorse oriented example of everyday transportation. More comfortable and more bearable if ones sole form of transport.

Edited by Deanh

I would have agreed with you 5-10-20 years ago, but the new Rams are sharp. The interiors are better than the current interior in the Superduty Fords (not sure they will last as long, but they do have a nicer look and feel to them). Engine is solid. Pretty refined truck overall.

check out after 5 or so years.....THERES a massive difference there...they are NOT well put together, trans are iffy, and the paint is sub par....oh and plastic loves leaping from where it was designated