DIY maintenance

jmdalton15

I have a 2015 FFH SE on order for the wife and had some questions concerning DIY maintenance on the Atkinson engine. Let me say first that I will not be performing any maintenance on the hybrid portions of the drive train so I'm only talking the gas engine. I typically do most all preventative maintenance on my vehicles (oil changes, coolant flushes, belt changing, break pad replacement, etc.). I'm not looking to do any warrantee work such as replacing faulty components until the warrantee expires so I'm strictly talking routine maintenance. I haven't dealt with the Adtinson style engines before and wanted to know if there are special requirements or provisions that must be made when performing some of the typical preventative work other than using the proper grade/certified/OEM spec lubes and parts. I would still be taking it in for its scheduled checkups, but still want to be involved with maintaining it. Doing that type of work keeps me in-tune with what’s going on under the hood and allows me to monitor any abnormalities that may arise over time. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Gotcha. I wasn't sure if there were different methods of performing routine maint. due to the difference in how the combustion process is carried out compaired to traditional combustion engines. Thanks for the reply!

The intervals might be slightly different because it's a hybrid and the engine doesn't run all the time, otherwise no difference.

I have a 2015 FFH SE on order for the wife and had some questions concerning DIY maintenance on the Atkinson engine. Let me say first that I will not be performing any maintenance on the hybrid portions of the drive train so I'm only talking the gas engine. I typically do most all preventative maintenance on my vehicles (oil changes, coolant flushes, belt changing, break pad replacement, etc.). I'm not looking to do any warrantee work such as replacing faulty components until the warrantee expires so I'm strictly talking routine maintenance. I haven't dealt with the Adtinson style engines before and wanted to know if there are special requirements or provisions that must be made when performing some of the typical preventative work other than using the proper grade/certified/OEM spec lubes and parts. I would still be taking it in for its scheduled checkups, but still want to be involved with maintaining it. Doing that type of work keeps me in-tune with what’s going on under the hood and allows me to monitor any abnormalities that may arise over time. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Congrats on your incoming FFH!

There are no belts to change, brake pads should last 100k to 200k miles depending on how efficiently you brake. There are two coolant systems, one for the ICE and one for the electric motors. Transmission fluid is sealed and there is no accessible dipstick. Oil change interval is listed in the OM as 12 months or 10k miles. The car will show you the % of oil life remaining. The engine air filter is right on top of the ICE and is very easy to change yourself. Oil is also easy to do. The cabin air filter is a bit more challenging, but with practice can be done quickly. Check out the Fusion Hybrid Forum for a lot more information including detailed threads with pics of how to change oil, air filter, cabin air filter, etc.

Edited by hybridbear