Ford Motor Company August 2014 Sales Results

atomcat68

FORD FUSION, ESCAPE POST BEST AUGUST SALES EVER; EXPLORER ACHIEVES BEST AUGUST PERFORMANCE SINCE 2004

• Ford Fusion has best August ever; year-to-date sales best since its launch in 2005
  • Ford Escape posts record for August and for year-to-date sales
  • Ford Explorer achieves its best August sales results since 2004
  • Ford F-Series posts sixth consecutive month above 60,000
  • Ford Motor Company U.S. sales of 222,174 vehicles for August, up slightly – providing best August sales in eight years

CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL RELEASE

DEARBORN, Mich., Sept. 3, 2014 – Ford Motor Company U.S. sales totaled 222,174 vehicles in August, up 0.4 percent from a year ago and the best August sales in eight years. Retail sales of 178,800 vehicles increased 2 percent, while fleet sales of 43,374 vehicles declined 6 percent.

“Both Fusion and Escape set records in August, each continuing on a strong pace toward 2014 being a best-ever sales year,” said John Felice, Ford vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. “It also was another solid month for F-Series, which again topped 60,000 sales and maintained its lead as the best-selling pickup in the U.S.”

Fusion’s best-ever August sales totaled 29,452 vehicles – an increase of 19 percent. Retail sales for the month were up 23 percent. Fusion posted retail sales gains in every region, with the car’s largest increase coming from the West – up 27 percent.

Escape sales of 28,996 vehicles were up 9 percent, while retail sales of Escape were up 23 percent. This provides Escape with record August sales for both total and retail sales.

Explorer sales surged 25 percent for the best August since 2004, with 17,748 vehicles sold. Explorer is on pace to be America’s best-selling midsize utility for a fourth straight year.

F-Series monthly sales totaled 68,109 vehicles. This marks the sixth consecutive month above the 60,000 vehicle threshold.

Inventory and sales continue to build steadily for Lincoln MKC, with 1,760 vehicles sold in August. Dealers are nearing full stock of the all-new small premium utility, which coincides with the kickoff of the luxury brand’s new national advertising campaign. Lincoln sales are up 13 percent year-to-date through August – a pace expected to increase the rest of the year.

Fusion and Escape kick a##.

People would rather wait for the new Edge.

Nice pop on the Focus.

Mustang in holding pattern.

Taurus is falling police version crashing and burning.

Lincoln new MKC seems to have robbed MKZ. Lincoln doesn't seem to get new customers they are just the same ones sampling the "what's new".

F series is still the F series. being down 4.2 is still a lot of trucks. (it will probably drop a lot as the model changeover happens).

Not sure we can conclude that mkc is stealing mkz sales yet. Could be a mkz supply issue or increased competition. Need to wait another 2-3 months to see.

I don't see PI Taurus crashing and burning at all. Sales YTD are exactly the same and it's only off <700 units last month from the previous year. Fleet purchases are batched and seasonal. Nothing to get excited about yet.

I think Mustang holding its own with the new one on the way is a good sign provided they haven't already added big incentives to the 2014s.

Lincoln new MKC seems to have robbed MKZ. Lincoln doesn't seem to get new customers they are just the same ones sampling the "what's new".

It had one bad month and its still up for the year overall? (the PI) Not to mention I'd expect a slow down in sales this time of the year because of Fiscal year changing in September/October?

I dunno, the MKC sold almost as well as the MKX did this month, not bad for a brand new product. I wouldn't expect it to take away from MKZ that much...

I think Mustang holding its own with the new one on the way is a good sign provided they haven't already added big incentives to the 2014s.

I've been seeing anywhere from $3-4K incentives on the out going Mustang.

With that being said, the 2015 Mustang is live on the Ford site also.

Nice pop on the Focus.

F series is still the F series. being down 4.2 is still a lot of trucks. (it will probably drop a lot as the model changeover happens).

I noticed August Police Taurus sales are over 20 % higher compared to last year. Even though August Taurus sales are down, the Taurus still outsells its Buick Lacrosse, Chrysler 300 competitors every month. It also has sales figures close to the Toyota Avalon and Nissan Maxima but, since the Yen allows a pricing advantage for the Japanese competitors, it won't be able to beat them. The real question is the Impala. CHEVY Impala Sales are down, but they will not separate the old style Limited Model from the new version. Since last year, 77% of Impalas were sold as fleet, I wonder how many of the August sales numbers were non fleet? I think Chevrolet is too embarrassed to reveal. Edited by bdegrand

Police Interceptor Sedan

August 2014 786

August 2013 1,341

That's down 41%, not up 20%

PLEASE check Good Cars Bad Cars...Taurus Police August 2013 sales 1341....August 2014 sales are 1643.

Also note that Total Taurus Police Interceptor sales for 2013 were 10897 units. So far 2014 YTD/ 8 months for Taurus Police already at 13324 units.

Edited by bdegrand

PLEASE check Good Cars Bad Cars...Taurus Police August 2013 sales 1341....August 2014 sales are 1643.

We have the link at the top of the page to get the numbers directly from the horse's mouth. I would say those are more trustworthy than from a 3rd party.

Aug '14 Aug '13 % chg YTD '14 YTD '13 % chg

Police Interceptor Sedan 786 1,341 -41.4 7,248 7,387 -1.9

EDIT: Looks like you (or Good Cars Bad Cars) grabbed the PIU number for '14. It is 1643.

Edited by fordmantpw

Nice pop on the Focus.

I wouldn't say that MKC is robbing MKZ sales as we're seeing MKC customers come from outside of the Lincoln brand.

• Like 1

The E-series mafia conspiracy theorists are going to have a field day :stirpot:

Burrito Class
Chevy Express 10,146
Ford E-series 6,702
GMC Savana 1,923
Mercedes Sprinter 1,880
Ram ProMaster 1,658
Nissan NV 1,227
Ford Transit 1,099

Looks like there are a lot of pull-ahead stockpile fleet orders on GM vans because 2014 is the last model year for the GM 1500 series van. We saw similar pull-ahead stockpile of Ford E-150 this time last year. Transit inventory level is probably still very low. I just saw the first one on the road yesterday.

Taco Class
Ford Transit Connect 3,923
Nissan NV200 1,223
Ram Cargo Van 1,161

Nissan is starting to nip at the heels of Transit Connect.

Enchilada Class
Chrysler Town & Country 14,065
Honda Odyssey 12,488
Toyota Sienna 12,386
Dodge Caravan 11,257
Ford Flex 1,942
Nissan Quest 744
Mazda5 724
Kia Sedona 692
VW Routan 0 [flawless victory!]

Edited by bzcat

Those that are in the negative are either EOL (E-Series wagons), or being scaled down for production changeovers (Edge, F150).

The decline in Taurus/PI volume is more or less matched by increases in Explorer/PIU volume, which suggests that Ford is doing volume management at Chicago. Total US sales from that plant are just under 190,000 after 8 months.

Ont he surface it sounds good, but if you look at the YTD, many of them are in the negative compared to last year sales. 313 for the MKT? That nail in the coffin can't come soon enough.

The decline in Taurus/PI volume is more or less matched by increases in Explorer/PIU volume, which suggests that Ford is doing volume management at Chicago. Total US sales from that plant are just under 190,000 after 8 months.

If you want to see sorry, check out the sales charts of the Caprice....

Or the SS...LOL

Ah yes.

The SS.

The SS.

"You don't understand. The GTO didn't sell because it's a coupe. Nobody buys coupes anymore."

"You don't understand. The G8 didn't sell because Pontiac didn't spend enough money advertising it."

"You don't understand. The G8 didn't sell because it was a Pontiac. It should've been a Chevrolet."

So---- I'm guessing we're due for:

"You don't understand. The SS didn't sell because Chevrolet didn't spend enough money advertising it."

• Like 5

Ah yes.

The SS.

The SS.

"You don't understand. The GTO didn't sell because it's a coupe. Nobody buys coupes anymore."

"You don't understand. The G8 didn't sell because Pontiac didn't spend enough money advertising it."

"You don't understand. The G8 didn't sell because it was a Pontiac. It should've been a Chevrolet."

So---- I'm guessing we're due for:

"You don't understand. The SS didn't sell because Chevrolet didn't spend enough money advertising it."

The Caddy ELR even outsold it!

My humble observations

Pros:

1. Ford is holding its own in a competitive market. Overall annual growth is flat, but profits are there.

2. Few shining stars – F Series, Fusion, Escape, Explorer.

3. New exciting stuff on the way – but greatness always seems to be just around the corner.

Cons

1. Aside from GM, primary (Asian) competition reporting double digit increases.

2. Finished 3rd place behind Toyota 2nd consecutive month. Toyota purposely makes their vehicles uglier, but the American consumer just can’t wait to have them.

3. Gotta’ start to think that Fiat/Dodge/Ram is starting to steal a few potential truck customers with the numbers they are reporting. Will lack of a big V8 in 2015 scare off old school truck guys?

So overall, it is kind of like that feeling you get when your favorite team falls to .500 and you realize that they are not going make the wild card. You know they have serious young talent-encouraging, but it seems like they can’t get it all to work at the same time. Some old veterans keep going to physical therapy but can no longer put up any significant numbers. While other teams, not actually having better players- appear to have better luck and chemistry at the present time.

Edited by Kev-Mo

So overall, it is kind of like that feeling you get when your favorite team falls to .500 and you realize that they are not going make the wild card.

This is not a sport. It's not a race.

Ford is capacity constrained at Louisville, KCAP (truck side), DTP, HMO, CAP (on two shifts), KTP. Plants with declining volume are MAP, OAC and OHAP. Of those three, two (OAC and OHAP) are getting new product. The Transit side of KCAP is ramping up. The only 'trouble spot' at Ford right now is Focus/C-Max volume (MAP), and I don't have enough data on that to discern what the problem is on the Focus side. FRAP is transitioning to the new Mustang and may be due for a major refit in the future, I don't know what the utilization is there, given that there are two final lines and only one body shop.

There is minimal room for Ford to achieve 'double digit increases' without building new factories. Given the cost of Ford's labor force and the cost of building new factories in the US, this is not an undertaking to be entered into lightly.

Also, where Ford is capacity constrained, they have better leverage on price.

Ford is healthier if they extract more revenue per unit than their competitors, giving them more money to reinvest in their product range.

The bottom line is that Ford's products need to be able to stand on their own vs. the competition, but Ford, the company, needs to optimize its volume, revenue and profits based on its own circumstances, not based on what some other company is doing.

---

And one more thing: With the vast majority of Ford trucks being V6s and 5.0L V8s, I really don't think they're going to miss any customers when they drop the 6.2

Edited by RichardJensen