What do you want to do when you retire?

Since the place seems to be dead.....I thought I'd throw out there a question that's getting more and more on my mind lately.

As of 24th of Aug 2014 I've got 30years in the Army and it's starting to really show, body is getting really busted up and it's getting harder to get out of bed in the mornings. All I do is give orders and drive a desk, but now I'm thinking, I love turning wrenches but haven't had a toolbox (at work) for 15-18 years now.

So, the wife is pushing to "sell it all, liquidate and head south". Pretty damn convincing arguments too. Last weekend I took Friday and Monday off and one kid and I took the dragster to the track. Cruising there and back (5hr's each way) in the motorhome was extremely enjoyable.."I could do this" I was thinking.

What do I want to do...

1) I have the business plan in place for a micro distillery, that's one idea I'm leaning towards.....

2) I am constantly having racecars etc show up looking for work, could keep doing that.....

3) Head to southern US or Mexico where it's cheaper to live and just race year round........

Who else is in my situation, or has idea's???

• Like 1

I'm already in the South and we're planning to stay here (at least for now). We'd like to move further North of Atlanta to the foothills of the smoky mountains with at least 5 acres and build our retirement home. I plan to have a separate workshop/garage fully outfitted with a smaller timber frame style house with a pool and maybe a tennis court later.

I plan to do woodworking, restore some older vehicles, play/teach tennis and relax. I'd like to get into some type of track driving whether it's just going to track days or actually doing some local racing. Atlanta Motorsports Park is a country club where you can drive your own vehicle on a world class track several times per month but they also have a spec miata racing series you can get into for $10K. I got the bug driving a porsche 911 turbo and Ferrari 458 Italia on that track over the last year.

I'm about 9 years away if everything goes right. I'm only counting on our pensions and 401Ks - if we get SS that will be gravy.

This is for fordmantpw..........

Edited by akirby

Appreciate the video akirby...... :)

I don't really see myself being a racer, but I would like to take one of the exotics for a spin one of these days.

I'm about 20 years from retirement myself (if all goes well). I would like to travel to all parts of the US (I have a goal to visit every state). I also enjoy woodworking and would like to do that as a hobby, and hopefully sell enough to cover my expenses. We are currently building a new home on 48 acres and I intend to spend lots of time on our land hunting and just generally enjoying nature. No moving for us. Hopefully we will add a lake in 5-7 years, and it will be fully stocked and ready for plenty of fishing when retirement gets here.

I'm only counting on our pensions and 401Ks - if we get SS that will be gravy.

Same here.

I've been thinking about building a guitar. I converted a 6 string to a 3 string with an open G tune so I could learn slide guitar. (It all started last Christmas when I had spare time and wanted to see all the words to the theme song of "Justified") Started following a lot of 3 string cigar box guitars on you tube. (a guy called rooster is a freaking awesome player) Saw he was using a repeater or whatever it's called, went to buy one, $200 used!!! Got an electric pick up for the acoustic 3 string and called it a day.

Like the idea of building a resonator guitar too, they look cool, kinda "steampunk" if you will. (and sometimes you just gotta hear that "blang,blang,blang" metallic sound.) LOL!

OP=original poster? AHHH, well that makes more sense...Your certainly welcome Sully, I look at it like it was something I was supposed to do, I'm 3rd generation military, I thought EVERYBODY joins the military when your old enough...don't they? As time went on I realised my error but either due to their spirit of adventure or perhaps me as a role model, but both of my boys have said they will join when they are old enough. My oldest wants to be a medic (to an end, eventually a doctor but we'll see) and the youngest wants to be a tank mechanic like me. I even tried to push them towards spec trades in the airforce but nope, they got their own idea's. I am very opinionated when it comes to personal freedoms/communism/capitalism and the right to protect yourself as well as others. Either due to being in the military or my upbringing...course if I was this opinionated and not in the military..whew...that'd be bad LOL!

Edited by goinbroke2

Cell-ulose... :doh::hysterical:

Wouldn't that be chelulose?

Speaking of random off topic stuff related to cells...I took my dogs to the vet for their annual shots 2 weeks ago, one never got any because, well, he's 16 and well beyond his "expiry date". The other got a shot and long story short..got celulitus. What is that you ask? Well after 2 days my 6 year old wouldn't eat/drink/move! After a x-ray and lots of antibiotics they figured it was a reaction to the rabies shot...I said uh, no, it's caused by puncture wounds or...wait for it...a DIRTY NEEDLE!!! Since it's a variation of flesh eating disease, my dog has lost the skin off her front right leg and a gaping hole in her side. 2 going on 3 weeks now and so far they've said they'll credit me the x-ray ($224) and all diagnosis fee's but I must pay for the treatment. I'm just over $500 into it now and will be walking in when she's healed with my bills to say either pay up or we go to court. Healthy dog...got needle...30 hours later she has an underskin disease caused by puncture wounds. Incubation for celulitus is 24-48hr's. Wife spent a week at the cottage because she couldn't stand the smell or seeing the dog like that. Yeah, lawsuit written all over it...

I want to retire from work that I must do for a living and have income enough to work for my amusement and entertainment. A job where the income is just supplemental, and I can tell the boss to pound sand at any time, if I am so inclined.

Wal-Mart greeter not an option though.

Quality Control at a doughnut factory.....

Craft Beer taster......

Custom sports car test drive technician.....

Bikini fitment evaluator.....

Hammock design reviewer.....

Global vacation retreat secret reviewer.....

Man Cave recliner endurance champion......

Professional Harley Road Trip developer....

Cell-ulose... :doh::hysterical:

Wouldn't that be chelulose?

Speaking of random off topic stuff related to cells...I took my dogs to the vet for their annual shots 2 weeks ago, one never got any because, well, he's 16 and well beyond his "expiry date". The other got a shot and long story short..got celulitus. What is that you ask? Well after 2 days my 6 year old wouldn't eat/drink/move! After a x-ray and lots of antibiotics they figured it was a reaction to the rabies shot...I said uh, no, it's caused by puncture wounds or...wait for it...a DIRTY NEEDLE!!! Since it's a variation of flesh eating disease, my dog has lost the skin off her front right leg and a gaping hole in her side. 2 going on 3 weeks now and so far they've said they'll credit me the x-ray ($224) and all diagnosis fee's but I must pay for the treatment. I'm just over $500 into it now and will be walking in when she's healed with my bills to say either pay up or we go to court. Healthy dog...got needle...30 hours later she has an underskin disease caused by puncture wounds. Incubation for celulitus is 24-48hr's. Wife spent a week at the cottage because she couldn't stand the smell or seeing the dog like that. Yeah, lawsuit written all over it...

Wow, that sucks! Hope your dog recovers fully, and soon! I know how they can become a member of the family, and it really hurts to see them sick.

• Like 1

Since the place seems to be dead.....I thought I'd throw out there a question that's getting more and more on my mind lately.

As of 24th of Aug 2014 I've got 30years in the Army and it's starting to really show, body is getting really busted up and it's getting harder to get out of bed in the mornings. All I do is give orders and drive a desk, but now I'm thinking, I love turning wrenches but haven't had a toolbox (at work) for 15-18 years now.

So, the wife is pushing to "sell it all, liquidate and head south". Pretty damn convincing arguments too. Last weekend I took Friday and Monday off and one kid and I took the dragster to the track. Cruising there and back (5hr's each way) in the motorhome was extremely enjoyable.."I could do this" I was thinking.

What do I want to do...

1) I have the business plan in place for a micro distillery, that's one idea I'm leaning towards.....

2) I am constantly having racecars etc show up looking for work, could keep doing that.....

3) Head to southern US or Mexico where it's cheaper to live and just race year round........

Who else is in my situation, or has idea's???

My two cents on the subject. I was fortunate enough to never be in the situation where I was bored or hated my job. So I never dwelled on the subject of retirement. I have to admit, the politics in the work place would at times get to me, but then again, with "seniority" comes a sense of independence-when done with respect for others-above and below you. I was however in a position in which when my phone rang at off hours, chances are it was not good news but rather a significant problem. And that began to get to me.

I also as I was pushing 67, finally one day said..."what am I doing"? I had taken a few days off to do a major project (new deck) and finally realized...I enjoy this stuff! If I wait much longer to bail out, I WILL be too old to enjoy this. Three months later I packed it in.

So here we are 4 years later and I sure am glad I made the move I did and when I did. I hear people talking about getting out at 55, and I hear people talking about getting out while they are still in debt (mortgage)- Bad move for sure in my opinion. recognizing everyone has different expectations, I think the last thing you want on your mind is being forced to make that monthly payment. So finances are a key issue-and don't underestimate just what inflation will do to your plans.

Next issue, is do you have plenty of things to keep you busy. too many people end up sitting on their ass in front of a TV and that for sure has to lead to trouble-in particular as it pertains to your health.

Next issue, will you be comfortable in your personal surroundings-be it with your spouse, significant other-whatever? What works when you are gone 40-60 hours a week might be a different situation when you are there 24/7.

Glad to hear you are "thinking" about it. Too many people like I say dwell on the subject without giving it a lot of thought as to the ramifications. Or they have never lived with "structure" or a conservative lifestyle that will reward them in later years. As a 30 yr. mil guy, I would say you have had plenty of "structure" that will serve you well on down the road.

As always, this opinion and two bucks will get you a medium coffee, but good luck in any case.

PS- My drag racing days are long gone but I do enjoy working the two sticks in my old Mack B-61X. I pay the full tab for commercial plates and associated insurance and end up doing favors for "fuel"-but it does keep me out of trouble and doing what I really enjoyed doing as I worked my way through school almost 50 (Ugh) years ago. Also spending time with the grandkids-including this guy who can't get enough time sitting on my lap in the JD!

post-609-0-70737700-1409886284_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent post Bob, thanks.

While we've been jamming the rrsp's and stuff away for many years and probably could get by on that and my pension, I do still have kids that will need to finish their education. I'm 49 so nothing is "critical" but I'm making a plan as I do have a million projects that seem to eat up all my off duty time. I estimate I could work on projects for at least 8-10 months before needing to look for anything new. And there is a constant flow of guys I'm turning away for various jobs, so really, yeah I'd be just as busy if not more. (can't delegate work when you work alone)!

Coming back after being away on a tour was always a hassle, getting back into the family thing. Kids really try to play parents off each other and being gone a year or so you want to spend time and "be a buddy" when you get back which makes the wife mad as she has to be the "bad guy". However, after many tours, it's become more "oh, your back..good, do the dishes"...wait...what? LOL! Just the two of us really enjoy our private time together now as the kids are old enough to not need constant supervision/direction/attention. Besides, she'd probably see less of me if I was allowed to spend all my time in the garage because it was my "job" hehehe.

I can't think of anybody who retired and then said "meh, maybe I should of kept working" Maybe I don't know enough retiree's? At this point we're crunching the numbers and making plans...thanks for the insight.

Back on topic... I tried retirement in my late 40's and it didn't work for me. I don't play golf and after building my dream garage I got bored. I started helping people turn ideas into products and or companies. Things were good until 2008. The only point is that you need to have something to do to replace your career or it gets boring fast.

• Like 1

I'm not in a position to think about retirement (other than saving for it).

But I do know whatever you do, keep your mind and body occupied, or you really will get old. My grandmother taught herself to play piano after she retired (somewhere well north of 65 years old)

I could easily see myself doing the kind of mindless job(s) I did in High School--although I never see busboys in restaurants anymore, and who knows if movie theaters will still be around. One thing for sure is I'll never work another holiday.

XR7, an American buddy of mine had 4 company's and about 300 employees. I'm not going to turn this political but directly due to obama he sold/closed it all (he was 61) moved with his Chinese wife (girlfriend at the time) to China and "retired". He's heavy into home distilling and found his new relatives were into manufacturing. What started out as a need for a $10 tri-clover clamp, he found he couldn't get one made there or imported from the US, but if he wanted 3000 made.... Long story short, in the last 3-4 years he's found a lot of other distilling equipment he can get manufactured to his spec's (and quality control) and so much for retirement, he's the owner of a distillation equipment company called StillDragon. http://stilldragon.com/ Now, he has distribution in NA, Aus and now Eu. He said (his quote) "China is the new capitalist country with more freedoms than the US. Think of how the US was many years ago"

Phil, your first post was good, I thought, good for you, hope you are enjoying yourself. The second post...why indeed....

I have been to China several times to qualify manufacturing facilities. People in China understand capitalism far better than the people in the US. For example, at night the sidewalks will be lined with factory workers with little micro businesses, kind of like the Kool Aide stand you might have had when you were a kid. There will be food vendors that might have a tiny Hibachi grill cooking some kind of meat served up on little sticks. Then right next to them will be a lady with a sewing machine repairing clothing and making alterations on the spot while you wait. Next to her will be a guy that is fixing bicycle tires and selling a few bike accessories. The next one might be selling Tupperware bowls. Behind them there might be a row of stalls, the size individual one or two car garages, that are little stores selling all kinds of things. This is the next step up the ladder. I talked to many factory workers from the country side that would tell me they were there to make money to buy a tractor or a well pump or some other thing that they would use on the family farm to increase production. They were living in factory dorms to save money. They all seek in some way to be in business for themselves. Most of this activity is now illegal in the US. You would need to have permits and licenses and collect taxes and provide hand washing facilities and porta potties. We are safer and cleaner, but we have lost our way.

Akirby, thanks

Xr7, you know, I guess it's only natural the hungrier you are the the more you fight for something. I really like the idea of a micro-distillery and have many contacts that could help make it happen. (even the wife pushes me," just pull the pin and get out, you don't need the stress, you could be making whiskey all day instead of babysitting 50 grown children"). After seeing several winery's open up locally the biggest thing I figured out was marketing is more important that quality. I saw the first ad a new winery put out the other day, they opened June 23rd, the ad said "taste the history and blah, blah, blah!" The date 1877 wrote everywhere...because the barn on the property they redid was built in 1877. Made it appear it's been around forever...NOT! That kind of soured me as I'm not into chrome or shiny/pretty/etc, I'm more function-over-form and I'm thinking if the braindead public are only interested in shiny...I could be in trouble.