Ford worker's challenge to UAW union dues stirs up right-to-work issues

MTPwife

I agree with you but in regards to having the same issues in the plant where the good old boys get reelected due to lack of voter turnout. When THEIR (good old boys) the ones that count the votes how do you ever expect someone to beat them. Why aren't the votes counted by someone who has no vested interest on who wins? To add to this why aren't those in the International who have the final say on our contract proposal ELECTED officials? If they were don't you think we'd end up with much better contracts then what we've been getting the last few contracts? There's absolutely no reprecussions for them when they come to the table with these shitty contracts, if they knew that there was a chance they wouldn't get reelected don't you think we'd be in a much better contract situation then we currently are now?

Absolutly we would have better contract options if IUAW officials were elected instead of appointed. Unfortunatly, they make up the rules and the membership can not do one thing about it. Same thing goes for the pay raises they get.....membership has no say....they put things like that up for a vote and only they are eligable to vote. That gives the illusion of a democratic process.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

If my dues are used for the membership I have no issue.

If my dues are going to a politicians ( any ) then I want a refund as well.

I work for Ford and since I PAY the UAW they are supposed to be working on my behalf, not giving dues money away.

The UAW is working on your behalf when they get politicians elected that favor the UAW instead of working to defeat organized labor. Do a google search to see what elected officials in Tennessee which is a right to work state, have done to keep the UAW out of the Volkswagon Plant in Chattanooga.[ie Senator BOB CORKER]

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The UAW is working on your behalf when they get politicians elected that favor the UAW instead of working to defeat organized labor. Do a google search to see what elected officials in Tennessee which is a right to work state, have done to keep the UAW out of the Volkswagon Plant in Chattanooga.[ie Senator BOB CORKER]

The VW workers voted to keep the UAW out, not any politicians.

I want the UAW to work on my behalf in the place I actually work and not giving any money to ANY politicians or political groups.

That means spending members dues on ALL of the actual UAW members.

The VW workers voted to keep the UAW out, not any politicians.

I want the UAW to work on my behalf in the place I actually work and not giving any money to ANY politicians or political groups.

That means spending members dues on ALL of the actual UAW members.

FYI.....the VW workers voted it down because the state politicians stated that "if" the UAW was voted in, they would reject the tax breaks given to volkswagon. That, in turn, would have forced the shut down of that plant. Fearing the threat of the politicians, the workers voted the UAW down to save their jobs and their plant. So, what it comes down to is that the politicians DID keep the UAW out.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/12/news/companies/vw-uaw-vote/index.html

The fact that the UAW gives $$$ to political groups is an absolute necessity. We all know that politicians vote where the money is, not what is best for Americans. That might sound cynical, but research just about any politician and see how they vote on the floor vs. what they have said to get elected. Ninety percent of them vote how their party wants them to vote or where the $$$ is, not on what the people in their district that they represent want.

• Like 1