Drive your car off the line program

Red2002

Oh man, I wish they would have fly and drive.  I love a good road trip.  No (good) reason to build the truck and then have it sit for 60 days at the factory parking lot.  I cringe at the thought of my new truck sitting out under the stars exposed to the elements, bird crap and whatever. My  trucks are babied and garaged.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
33 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

The only plant tours available are at the Dearborn Truck Plant but I don't know if those tours have been reinstated yet. 

Cool I didn't know that was even an option.  In the past was it by reservation only or could someone just stop in?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah... This is one of the first things I asked the dealer after placing my order. I'd sure love to fly up to do a factory tour and drive my own new truck home. Hoped to save any shipping time and maybe even the D&D charge but I guess that's a no go unfortunately.

8 hours ago, Rondalon said:

Yeah... This is one of the first things I asked the dealer after placing my order. I'd sure love to fly up to do a factory tour and drive my own new truck home. Hoped to save any shipping time and maybe even the D&D charge but I guess that's a no go unfortunately.

The only plant I'm aware of where you can take a tour and schedule to take delivery of your vehicle is the Corvette plant in Bowling Green, KY which is also home to the National Corvette Museum. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When my grandfather retired from the railroad, He and Gramma took the train to Los Angeles to pick up their brand spanking new 1950 Plymouth from the factory, their first and last new car. There is a guy in our town that still has his 1966 Mustang that he picked up in Dearborn. He has a photo of it coming down the final few yards of the assembly line.

These days, with heightened security, I think that the Rouge Center is the only plant within Ford that still does tours. I naively tried to get a tour and factory delivery at Oakville of my 2015 Flex

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would love to go to the Kentucky Truck Plant to see my MY2022 F250 Super Duty being built and to move it off the assembly line when finished.  I also understand the immense liability issues this would create with all of that are super eager to get our truck all showing up at the Plant.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/11/2014 at 1:40 PM, Red2002 said:

Though not as glamorous as a trip to Germany to drive your Mercedes or BMW off the line and then stick on the boat home, I have to believe there are some car nuts like me out there that would pay a little extra fee to drive their vehicle off the line and put every inch on the vehicle themselves.

I would love to drive down to KY and drive my new Expedition off the line. I have to believe there are some Mustang buyers out there that would love to do the same.

Corvette does it in Bowling Green . . .

I would definitely drive to Michigan from Ottawa, ON for this! Perhaps driving it across the border would be some decent paperwork required... but I'd pay $500 extra for this experience!