2015 6.7 Poor MPG

KTMsc

• 2 weeks later...

That's exactly what my 2011 F350 averaged too 18 hwy and 14 in town. About 9-10 mpg towing a 17k 43' toyhauler. it had the 3:55 ratio.

I did a 50 mile hwy. run @ 65 MPH in my 2015 F450 and it got 18 mpg as well, will know more this weekend got 500 mile trip will have a better idea of hwy. mileage then.

Edited by JACKAL_SOF

I don't have a 6.7 yet (it's on order, yah!), but both my 6.0 and 6.4 experienced noticeable mpg increases after 50K miles. I saw some posts in another forum that was speculating that it can take that long for diesels to "loosen up". The biggest increase was with the 6.0, which went up about 1.5 mpg. The 6.4 only went up about 1 mpg.

I'm in the South, so I know that it wasn't a change from winter to summer fuel. Beyond that I don't have any certain explanation for the reason.

Re: What makes you think we don't have winter/summer blend fuel in the South?

I don't know for certain, but that's what I've been told here on the Texas gulf coast. I realize now that "the South" is way too generic a term. And, I could have received incorrect information.

All I know for certain is that fuel mileage went up on both of my vehicles for some reason after a whole bunch of miles. The 6.0 has stayed up, now with 175K miles. The 6.4, with 125K miles, seems to be regenerating more often, which just kills the fuel mileage.

Edited by typhoid

I'd be surprised if any part of Texas doesn't use a different blend in summer due to the heat. The reason for summer blend fuel is to keep it from boiling off in the heat and creating more vapor and air pollution.

Edit: just realized you have a diesel. Not sure if it's the same for diesel fuel.

Edited by akirby

You're right, for best performance, diesel fuel must be different for temperature as well, akirby. Hotter needs heavier fuel, but not for evaporative purposes. Lighter fuels will burn too hot and fast which raises EGT.

Interesting. I only knew about #2 diesel and winter blend (mix of #1 and #2 to reduce gelling at low temps).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Im having the same exact issue with my 2015 Platinum. 12.5 MPG babying it.

I just got rid of an identically equipped 2013 Lariat Ultimate that would get 15.5 if i kept my foot in it constantly. It would average 18+ if I drove it like im driving this one.

It also has a loud hum/moan/howl from underneath the truck that sounds like fuel pump or transmission pump noise. The service writer tried to tell me its wastegate noise... Ive had more turbocharged vehicles than most people will ever own any car in their life, and I know very well the sounds they make. This is clearly a mechanical operation sound.

Im currently driving an IDENTICAL Platinum just a different color as a loaner, and its getting the exact mileage my old truck got, 15.5 fott in it constantly, and 18+ babying it. and it doesnt make the noise.

Im having the same exact issue with my 2015 Platinum. 12.5 MPG babying it.

I just got rid of an identically equipped 2013 Lariat Ultimate that would get 15.5 if i kept my foot in it constantly. It would average 18+ if I drove it like im driving this one.

It also has a loud hum/moan/howl from underneath the truck that sounds like fuel pump or transmission pump noise. The service writer tried to tell me its wastegate noise... Ive had more turbocharged vehicles than most people will ever own any car in their life, and I know very well the sounds they make. This is clearly a mechanical operation sound.

Im currently driving an IDENTICAL Platinum just a different color as a loaner, and its getting the exact mileage my old truck got, 15.5 fott in it constantly, and 18+ babying it. and it doesnt make the noise.

I had the loud howl / Hum etc. and after the dealership had it 3 days after I put 500 miles on it dissatisfied with the noise coming out of a $72K truck. the dealership remounted and balanced all the tires 2x saying it was "better" I got in it and a 65mph could still hear it just as I did taking it off the lot. That very same day one of the members on this forum said "check your automatic hubs" Sure enough the truck was delivered from the factory with the front hubs locked in manual and that was the cause of the noise, turned them to automatic no noise at all. Been very happy overall.

I now have 6400 miles on it have went through just over 15 gal DEF fluid only towing about 3K of the 6400 miles. Typical 65-70 mph unloaded 13.5 - 14 mpg. Towing a 44" 20K (Cyclone 4200) toy hauler 7.3 mpg consistently at 65mph steady. other than using 300% of the DEF my 2011 F350 consumed I can live with the 2mpg less I get towing with the '15 F450 vs. my '11 F350.

Edited by JACKAL_SOF

I am completely happy with how my 2015 F450 tows, in fact my only gripe on that truck is that my personal experience it uses 300% more DEF than my 2011 F350 did. I would easily go 8000 miles before having to fill my DEF tank on my F350 and with only 6400 miles on my F450 I have went through 15 gallons of DEF, driving / towing the same way.

I would not hesitate to buy another one, no buyers remorse. And the heavy duty gear they put under the F450 over the F350 it is some impressive hardware for a "pickup truck". I have no concerns pulling my 44 ft. toyhauler, making my typical runs up and down I-75 I do notice this 2015 does not down shift out of 6th at 65MPH with my camper (towing up 3-4% grades) where my F350 would do it several times on the exact same route. The differentials are not the same 4:30 to 3:55 but besides that it really seems to pull stronger than the extra 40 HP over my 2011 and I had no problems or complaints about it how it towed it over 4 years and 80K miles.

Edited by JACKAL_SOF

I am completely happy with how my 2015 F450 tows, in fact my only gripe on that truck is that my personal experience it uses 300% more DEF than my 2011 F350 did. I would easily go 8000 miles before having to fill my DEF tank on my F350 and with only 6400 miles on my F450 I have went through 15 gallons of DEF, driving / towing the same way.

I would not hesitate to buy another one, no buyers remorse. And the heavy duty gear they put under the F450 over the F350 it is some impressive hardware for a "pickup truck". I have no concerns pulling my 44 ft. toyhauler, making my typical runs up and down I-75 I do notice this 2015 does not down shift out of 6th at 65MPH with my camper (towing up 3-4% grades) where my F350 would do it several times on the exact same route. The differentials are not the same 4:30 to 3:55 but besides that it really seems to pull stronger than the extra 40 HP over my 2011 and I had no problems or complaints about it how it towed it over 4 years and 80K miles.

Sorry but you have an issue if you used 15 gallons in 6,400 miles. I was able to get exactly 6,400 miles when I had about 250 miles left on my warning. I filled up using 4 3/4 gallons.

If you are towing heavy, you will not use DEF nearly as much as if you are not towing. EGT temps above 600* keeps you burning soot off without going into a Active Regen.

Thanks for the info. I think my issue revolves around a three letter problem. E.P.A.

I'll know more once I get some longer trips on it, towing I have only run six 450 mile runs one way from IL to TN and back.

Overall I am happy as can be, tows like a beast that it is. The industry has come a long way in just the last 11 years.

Edited by JACKAL_SOF

• 7 years later...