Dealership Problem

I located a Mustang GT in Maryland I was interested in and everything was going fine until the new car manager stated I would have to purchase the car tag and pay the excise tag at the dealership immediately. Now I have purchased other Ford vehicles in other states in the past and this has never come up. I called the tag agency I use in Tulsa, OK and asked if something had changed. I was told that the tag and tax is paid where the car buyer resides and there were 30 days to pay the costs, I informed the dealer in Maryland, Koon Ford, of this and I was then told it was their policy as Ford won't pay them the rebates if the tag and tax is not paid there. This does not make any sense at all. Why is Ford letting Koon Ford get away with this?

• 2 weeks later...

I located a Mustang GT in Maryland I was interested in and everything was going fine until the new car manager stated I would have to purchase the car tag and pay the excise tag at the dealership immediately. Now I have purchased other Ford vehicles in other states in the past and this has never come up. I called the tag agency I use in Tulsa, OK and asked if something had changed. I was told that the tag and tax is paid where the car buyer resides and there were 30 days to pay the costs, I informed the dealer in Maryland, Koon Ford, of this and I was then told it was their policy as Ford won't pay them the rebates if the tag and tax is not paid there. This does not make any sense at all. Why is Ford letting Koon Ford get away with this?

different states have different laws, but I can attest to the fact we get a bunch of people hell bent on not paying California Sales tax, problem is, if it touches California soil you are taxed unless A) it is flatbedded ( read $ ), or B) vehicle is driven by a licenced sales person or registered driving service ( read additional $ ) over a State line and notorized proof is obtained stating that very fact....so, unfortunately certain states know people taking out of state delivery know they are doing so to avoid taxes..so, the task is made more difficult. I am quite sure Koon would be quite willing to do the transaction if you play by their states laws..and whomever told you taxes and tags are paid where the car buyer resides, thats true, the residing state will ALSO want their $, doesnt mean the delivering state abides by the same laws. Your "informant" may not be as informed as he thinks...call the DMV.

How much tax is Koons saying needs to be paid? If it's for temp tags that seems normal. However from the original post, I don't think this has anything to do with Ford, it's between the dealer and the MD MVA.

I have bought 5 cars in Maryland in the past and only paid for the temp tags and did not have to pay sales tax to MD as I was liable to do that with NY when I registered the cars there (years ago when I was a NY resident). Back then I got the temp tags and the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin (MCO) and took that to the DMV in NY and titled the cars there, and part of that transaction was settling up for the NY fees.

However the last time I did that was 2002, so things may have changed - but browsing around the MD MVA site I don't see it addressed, unless I'm missing the page..

Since living in VA we've bought 3 Fords in MD and 1 in NJ (found just the one we wanted and took a weekend trip to get it) and did not pay the sales tax on any of those to MD/NJ, however they did collect the VA tax from us that was going to be required, and they (they dealer) submitted the title paperwork directly to the VA DMV.

The only thing I could see that would apply on the below link is the $20 for temp tag fee, since you are NOT titling the vehicle in MD, correct? If titling in MD then the excise and lien taxes and titling fees would apply. But from what I could read, it doesn't look like the MD policy has changed, so maybe your best bet is to get the contact's name at the Koons dealer (I think there are several in MD) and then contact the MD MVA at the phone or email below and see if you can get the MVA rep to set the dealer straight if you should not be subject to taxes as the car is being purchased in MD but NOT being titled/registered there -- sounds to me like you shouldn't be subject to them.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/fees/index.htm#VehicleRegistration

MVACS@mdot.state.md.us. You will receive a response back within 3 business days.

MVA Customer Service Center:

1-410-768-7000

Good luck!