Steering Recall Arrived

rscalzo

IF the PSCM passes testing, the reprogram should take less than an hour.

Sitting in the service dept. Just told that the software provided by Ford has flaws and a virus of some sort. The installs of some of the first few have failed and the appointment may have to be rescheduled. Joy.

I did ask about the lousy seats that stain. No secret to them. Unfortunately they haven't found a solution beyond changing the seat covers. Did sit in a 2014 Escape. Seems very small inside and cramped although I couldn't adjust the seat.

Update: The software worked for me. Total time 90 minutes. On the upside they did a quick check (trying to sell some more service) and they found the noise I thought was shocks. Bad sway bar bushings. One reason I keep going to this dealer is their great service. while it's all recall related, they do it quickly . They also have a great waiting area than makes the stay bearable. Damm their popcorn machine.

Hope the next one goes as easily.

Edited by rscalzo

I go back yesterday to get the second Escape / Mariner done. Goes easily. But on the way home, I notice that the working fan motor control no longer works on all speeds. Call service and thry said exactly what I thought they would say.....the recall couldn't have done it. Now i can't say it did cause the failure but this part got me... I ask what's it cost to fix? "About $250 as it's a big job." Then I see the YouTube video that details the exact fix and it shoud take maybe 30 minutes and a $25.00 part.

I'm rethinking buying the next car there next month and I did like this dealer.

I found a You Tube video describing the problem. I have to chalk it up to timing as I doubt the recall caused the part to fail. I was confident it was the resitor as the fan was operating on high.

The fan did operate on high. Just odd that on the way to the dealer it was functioning on the #2 setting. But the $250 estimate pissed me off a bit. Today I poured a coffee, and pulled out the car. The old part was out in five minutes. Ten to run to the NAPA store that had the part in stock. another five to replace it. the coffee didn't evenj gte cold and the job was done. Maybe thirty minutes tops and that included picking up the part. Total cost...$20.53 cents.

I now will not trust the dealer to do work on the car unless they are the only option or it's recall / warrenty. Unfortunate because before this, I trusted them to deal with me in a decent manner. Twice in two days their service people wanted to do work that I know wasn't needed or vastly overcharging for it.

Edited by rscalzo

I found a You Tube video describing the problem. I have to chalk it up to timing as I doubt the recall caused the part to fail. I was confident it was the resitor as the fan was operating on high.

The fan did operate on high. Just odd that on the way to the dealer it was functioning on the #2 setting. But the $250 estimate pissed me off a bit. Today I poured a coffee, and pulled out the car. The old part was out in five minutes. Ten to run to the NAPA store that had the part in stock. another five to replace it. the coffee didn't evenj gte cold and the job was done. Maybe thirty minutes tops and that included picking up the part. Total cost...$20.53 cents.

I now will not trust the dealer to do work on the car unless they are the only option or it's recall / warrenty. Unfortunate because before this, I trusted them to deal with me in a decent manner. Twice in two days their service people wanted to do work that I know wasn't needed or vastly overcharging for it.

Glad you got it fixed and saved a bunch of $$! I had my truck in for an oil change last week. They called and mentioned that my battery terminals and cables needed cleaned and I needed new wipers (which is pretty easy for me to determine on my own), and determined by their 40 point inspection. They wanted $40 to clean the terminals and $28 for wipers! I'll take care of it myself, thanks.

During the first recall on my Escape , the tech comes out with a list. He's telling me that the fuel filter needed changing based on the look of the exterior. I know for a fact it was changed in Nov, less than 5,000 miles earlier because I was helping the mechanic change it. Here in NH the roads are salted and the exterior gets beat up. Even he said that yet they wanted to do the work.

The links in the sway bar are bad. that at lreast I agree with as I can hear it from time to time. Again $20 to do the work . Looking up the job I could do it if I had a lift. Even without I could but I don't want to bother and wuill have a local guy do it.